Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,578,376 times

Advertisements

I had bunnies helping themselves to my cabbages, beans and pepper plants, so I started sprinkling my organic coffee grounds on them and now they don't taste so good, an are thriving! I had 1 tomato that was ready, so I brought it inside to redden up and my 4 year old treated it like a pumpkin ... carved a smiley face in it with his fingers ... sigh. I put some pics of my garden over on the indiana board under "indiana pictures".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:51 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I had bunnies helping themselves to my cabbages, beans and pepper plants, so I started sprinkling my organic coffee grounds on them and now they don't taste so good, an are thriving! I had 1 tomato that was ready, so I brought it inside to redden up and my 4 year old treated it like a pumpkin ... carved a smiley face in it with his fingers ... sigh. I put some pics of my garden over on the indiana board under "indiana pictures".
Thanks for sharing that here in the garden thread too domergurl they are nice pictures too!

Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,502,481 times
I've heard something about removing the flowers on pepper plants if you want the fruits to grow...or maybe they produce more or larger fruits. Can someone help me with this? I cannot now find anything online regarding the flowers on my bell pepper plant.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:44 AM

44,885 posts, read 59,869,542 times
I've never done it but have been told that if you pinch off the first set of flowers on a pepper plant the later fruits will be larger.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Picked our 1st green beans yesterday not much a large handful. Remember I had to replant my green beans so we only got beans off the 1st plants that came up. Which wasn't very many~~ they are all loaded with blooms though so I should be picking green beans very shortly about every other day.

Kohlrabi we have I think 3 more left in the garden, tomatoes are doing well so far, cukes & squash are vining nicely. For some reason we can never get sweet corn to do well in our garden so we buy that from a local farmer. My mouth is watering for our 1st mater though.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
I've got tons of blooms on my topsy-turvy tomatoes but no tomatoes at all.

Pepper plants have two that look ready to pick but I'm waiting for them to ripen because I picked the others small and green and I want to see what color they end up. They have zillions of tiny buds all over them.

Same with the cucumbers.. when I look "under her skirts" I see some blossoms and some teeny little cukes but they are either growing quite slowly or the squirrels are taking them. Do squirrels like cukes?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:12 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
I have cukes and yellow squash growing. The zucchini plant is huge and so far only 1 flower. It looks like there are more buds ready, we'll see. It was the last plant left when I bought it and it was a sad little thing.

How long do green beans take? I planted seeds 7 weeks ago and still no beans. Is that normal? There are some flowers.

My green peppers also seem to be taking forever. My small orange peppers have some small green peppers on them. I picked a couple of those but they were a little bitter. I am going to wait longer next time.

My tomatoes seem to have some new green tomatoes each day. I have 17 plants and I think I might be in trouble.

Maybe it's just me. I'm not an overly patient person, lol.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,643,734 times
LOL Lisa, here at home in my sq foot garden, I have 4 regular tomato plants and 1 grape tomato plant....but in the big garden we have 48 plants!!!!!

My bell peppers are growing slowly, I keep reminding myself a watched pot will not boil!

I've been eating tomatoes out of my sq ft garden, yummy both ripe and green...have picked some squash from both locations and man they were tasty....

The bunnies ate both rows of my green beans, so none for us this year..we replanted with more purple hull peas for fall.

I have blooms on the butterbeans, but not the peas. The okra is looking wonderful and starting to bloom, can't wait!

Cukes are starting to form out and hopefully will have some soon. Have small watermelons in son's garden as well as abundant banana peppers!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 AM

187 posts, read 947,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Until it keeps bearing healthy fruit?
You're funny.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 AM

187 posts, read 947,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have cukes and yellow squash growing. The zucchini plant is huge and so far only 1 flower. It looks like there are more buds ready, we'll see. It was the last plant left when I bought it and it was a sad little thing.

How long do green beans take? I planted seeds 7 weeks ago and still no beans. Is that normal? There are some flowers.

My green peppers also seem to be taking forever. My small orange peppers have some small green peppers on them. I picked a couple of those but they were a little bitter. I am going to wait longer next time.

My tomatoes seem to have some new green tomatoes each day. I have 17 plants and I think I might be in trouble.

Maybe it's just me. I'm not an overly patient person, lol.
My green beans were started from seed and we took beans quickly, like 4 to 6 weeks. Today though the vines are booming but not flowering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden