Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 AM

187 posts, read 947,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I've got tons of blooms on my topsy-turvy tomatoes but no tomatoes at all.

Pepper plants have two that look ready to pick but I'm waiting for them to ripen because I picked the others small and green and I want to see what color they end up. They have zillions of tiny buds all over them.

Same with the cucumbers.. when I look "under her skirts" I see some blossoms and some teeny little cukes but they are either growing quite slowly or the squirrels are taking them. Do squirrels like cukes?
I never saw a squirrel take a cuke but I'm a novice. I did experience loads of flowers and baby cukes that disappeared in heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Same with the cucumbers.. when I look "under her skirts" I see some blossoms and some teeny little cukes but they are either growing quite slowly or the squirrels are taking them. Do squirrels like cukes?
Don't know for sure but with the extreme heat some parts of our country are having all kinds of critters are looking for water. Many veggies hold water in them. We tend to have more problems with rabbits & deer in my parts had to put out more cayenne pepper sprinkled all around the garden today.

YLisa the plants that came up with my 1st green bean planting May 12th just got picked & eaten July 6th. It takes a minimum of 55 days for most beans. Girl you are going to be having tomatoes coming out your ears! Be ready to can them very soon.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Oh forgot to say I had my first topsy turvy tomato from a friend last night. While I am hankering for a good ole Indiana tomato & mine aren't ripe yet this was a good "teaser". To me it didn't have the depth of flavor my maters will have grown in the ground. I'll do a side by side comparison when both kinds are ripe & let ya know if I change my mind.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:42 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,306,438 times
We're getting eaten too! Our corn plants have been eaten from the top down, some green beans have been hit but my sil's gave me a ton of coffee grounds that I sprinkled all over everything and haven't seen any more activity since, but it has only been a couple days and my 3 year old scared off the deer last night heading in that direction.

So I was looking around for those U-Pick farms and came across one that claims that it would have corn by the fourth of July. (remember we're on the edge of zone 3 and 4.) I found out that they just covered everything in clear plastic so everything would be ready at the same time as the stawberries. That's got me thinking about how I could do all my planting by April 15th of next year and then have the rest of the time for all the other yard pretties.

Anyway, thought it was interesting and wondering if any other frigid gardeners have heard of this or tried it.

PS After the fireworks on the fourth, we got went on in our tent to finish our weekend of camping...and to hide from the 40 degree overnight temps!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
As some of you know I did a square foot garden and I found a hidden surprise today. I had to really dig through all my plants but I found bush beans.
I have so many plants in one little garden that it is going to be hard to find all my veggies, lol.

Question about beans. Pole beans are supposed to keep producing. What about bush beans? And when they stop producing do I dig them up?

On a good note I saw 1 baby zucchini on my plant. Woo hoo. This is the plant that I bought when it was a really sad looking little thing. Anyway it looks like it will make it and produce.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
As some of you know I did a square foot garden and I found a hidden surprise today. I had to really dig through all my plants but I found bush beans.
I have so many plants in one little garden that it is going to be hard to find all my veggies, lol.

Question about beans. Pole beans are supposed to keep producing. What about bush beans? And when they stop producing do I dig them up?

On a good note I saw 1 baby zucchini on my plant. Woo hoo. This is the plant that I bought when it was a really sad looking little thing. Anyway it looks like it will make it and produce.
Congrats on your 1st green beans! Now keep a good eye on them because you may need to pick them every couple of days now. As long as you have blooms on your plants they will keep producing beans. Once the blooms are done just pull the whole plant out of the ground, they come up easily.

You are going to most likely have tomatoes coming out of your ears very soon too.

We picked 3 gallons of bush green beans tonight not bad for a first picking. I cleaned them and started cooking them tonight will finish cooking them off tomorrow. Gave the tomatoes a good drink of Miracle Grow they don't have a lot of blooms but are loaded with green little Early Girls.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,578,376 times
Here's my sunday morning harvest ... should have worn long sleeves and pants though ... digging through the cucumber plants ... so so prickly

Old 07-12-2009, 11:58 AM

19,720 posts, read 10,450,822 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/9668198-post500.html
commercial melon growers...thought I would share, here, as well..

Old 07-13-2009, 02:07 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
I think my cukes have been getting reabsorbed by the plant.

I moved it yesterday (it's in a container) because the heat has been so intense. It's going to get a lot less sun where I put it, but still full sun part of the day. We'll see.

In better news, finally got 3 little green tomatoes on one of my topsy turvy plants! My two in regular containers look healthy but no tomatoes yet.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,289,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Oh forgot to say I had my first topsy turvy tomato from a friend last night. While I am hankering for a good ole Indiana tomato & mine aren't ripe yet this was a good "teaser". To me it didn't have the depth of flavor my maters will have grown in the ground. I'll do a side by side comparison when both kinds are ripe & let ya know if I change my mind.
I don't have any maters on my topsy turvy yet but it will soon, i planted four plants one in the topsy thing, the other three have suffered during to 100 + degree days and show no sign of putting out yet but the topsy has looked grat the whole time and needs very little watering compaired to the others plus it is getting ready to produce, I'm thinking of growing more and differant plants in the topsies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden