Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2023, 09:45 AM

5,886 posts, read 6,091,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esposla View Post
Thank you. How exciting ! Do I need to refrigerate and can they be frozen successfully?
Yeah, you should refrigerate. I usually eat mine soon after picking so I don't freeze the ones I grow, but I don't see why you couldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 06:51 PM

165 posts, read 93,499 times
Great. I’ll cut this weekend
That’s one veggie I’ll eat cooked hot or cold and raw.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:52 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,208,930 times
I am back from a two week trip in our RV and the garden (tomatoes especially) have grown, but they are not producing many tomatoes. I had a timer and everything was watered each day. I plan on hitting everything with some Miracle Grow for Tomatoes tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-5-30-23-3-.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-5-30-23-4-.jpg  

Old 05-31-2023, 05:38 AM

I think tomato fertiliser is just marketing. If your plants need fertiliser it's more likely they need nitrogen. If you're growing in aquaponics (ie no nutrients are naturally present and all of them have to be added), 3:1:2 seems to be the ideal ratio. And many soils have enough P&K, so in many natural soils only nitrogen is needed if anything at all (you'd have to do a soil test to know for sure).

Do you normally get tomatoes this early or are the plants normally bigger at this time of year. Most people in my area only get tomatoes in August. Maybe second half of July if it's an early maturing determinate variety or cherry tomato.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:56 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,028,840 times
We've been eating cherry tomatoes daily from small plants purchased in March and it's been a cool North Carolina spring.
A week ago (while tomatoes were full of green fruit and blossoming) they looked a little pale so I fertilized with Miracle Gro Tomato Fert and they look better now.

Am always leery of adding nitrogen to veggie plants and getting lots of leaves and little veg. I grow half my veggies in clay soil and half in grow bags and there's not a lot of difference in output so maybe the fertilizer is unnecessary, who knows. I never fertilizer a lot at once.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:08 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,208,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I think tomato fertiliser is just marketing. If your plants need fertiliser it's more likely they need nitrogen. If you're growing in aquaponics (ie no nutrients are naturally present and all of them have to be added), 3:1:2 seems to be the ideal ratio. And many soils have enough P&K, so in many natural soils only nitrogen is needed if anything at all (you'd have to do a soil test to know for sure).

Do you normally get tomatoes this early or are the plants normally bigger at this time of year. Most people in my area only get tomatoes in August. Maybe second half of July if it's an early maturing determinate variety or cherry tomato.
After further review there are 30 to 40 tomatoes in various sizes on the plants. When we left two weeks ago there were a few tomatoes at that time, but they did not grow much.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:24 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esposla View Post
Thank you. How exciting ! Do I need to refrigerate and can they be frozen successfully?
Blanch then freeze quickly. My wife would blanch them then lay them out on a metal baking sheet and the put them in the chest freezer. Once frozen solid we vac seal them for long term freezing.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We've been eating cherry tomatoes daily from small plants purchased in March and it's been a cool North Carolina spring.
A week ago (while tomatoes were full of green fruit and blossoming) they looked a little pale so I fertilized with Miracle Gro Tomato Fert and they look better now.

Am always leery of adding nitrogen to veggie plants and getting lots of leaves and little veg. I grow half my veggies in clay soil and half in grow bags and there's not a lot of difference in output so maybe the fertilizer is unnecessary, who knows. I never fertilizer a lot at once.
This is what I'm basing my info from:
https://www.gardenmyths.com/bloom-bo...izer-nonsense/

If your plants look pale, they're probably lacking in nitrogen. The Tomato Fert does contain Nitrogen, so your plant may have taken that up, but that means that all the high P & K in the Tomato Fert is unnecessarily being wasted.

I know the "nitrogen = leaves and no fruits" line gets repeated in gardening circles a lot, but a lot of things get repeated in gardening circles without evidence to back it up. Lots of leaves is generally a good thing, it means the plant produces more sugar from the sun's rays, which it pumps into the ground to feed beneficial bacteria near the roots that convert nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium found in the soil into forms that are usable to the plant.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:06 AM

165 posts, read 93,499 times
Thanks threerun. Good to know. I’ve heard the vac seal works really well and planned to get one.

Old 06-02-2023, 05:23 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I know the "nitrogen = leaves and no fruits" line gets repeated in gardening circles a lot, but a lot of things get repeated in gardening circles without evidence to back it up. Lots of leaves is generally a good thing, it means the plant produces more sugar from the sun's rays, which it pumps into the ground to feed beneficial bacteria near the roots that convert nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium found in the soil into forms that are usable to the plant.

Never "just" add Nitrogen. You need the N-P-K factor

I learned what works best is a 10-10-10 fert 1 week and a 9-58-8 bloom/rooting type fert 2 weeks later and keep rotating..

Or if your leaves look great forget the 10-10-10 and just do the 9-58-8 every other week. It will give your plant more reason to bloom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden