Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2023, 10:06 AM

4,168 posts, read 3,358,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Store bought plants?
Of course; we don't have the resources to grow from seed (though we had tried in the past).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 10:18 AM

83,282 posts, read 74,503,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
We lost virtually all our tomatoes last year to aphids. Looks like it's happening again. I quit.
Don't quit, there's a simple solution to that! 1 Cup Canola Oil in 1 Gallon of Water and a small drop of dish soap. Shake and spray. Dont quit!

Before

After spraying twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hz3RcPi-CE

Old 06-25-2023, 10:32 AM

2,646 posts, read 2,138,482 times
Something is eating my wife's tomato blooms. Some limbs are bare from all of the blooms being eaten. She had another big limb break that was loaded down with tomatoes. She has multiple stacks and cages around her plants. There are 8+- big Cherokee Purples on one plant. Something is also eating her squash.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:42 AM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
What ashame. Sorry to hear this! So you dont even wanna try the Aspirin method? You should really try things this year this way you know what works and doesn't work for next year. Why not try??

In fact, try the Fungicide on one plant and the aspirin on another. See if one is better than the other.

It's not always raining, there are long breaks. Nothing happening all morning, do it this morning
I went out in the semi darkness last night when it wasn't raining and sprayed again. Black fungus also seems to be affecting my platycodon (flowers) now too and even my ice plant has mostly stopped blooming and turned black. I'll keep trying but this fungus is lethal and it's gonna kill everything else too.

At this moment it is not raining.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:51 AM

19,379 posts, read 22,320,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Of course; we don't have the resources to grow from seed (though we had tried in the past).
We’ve had plants infested with aphids from store bought plants. Inspect them carefully. If you can, try raising from seed.

My wife uses soapy water first, then some biological controls- lacewings I think. My wife said make sure to soak the soil- especially for scale. If too far gone my wife will dig out the entire plant, including immediate soil and pitch it in a black contractor bag and toss them. Don’t compost.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:51 AM

48,271 posts, read 34,391,475 times
When my tomatoes get munched I use Monterey BT, or, the organic Southern Ag equivalent. Usually works.

Tomato worms glow in black light, so we go out at night to find them. They leave little black poops on the leaves.

I use Take Down Garden spray on bugs (like aphids).

I've tried all kinds of home remedies, but find it easier and more effective to just buy the right stuff to kill them.

Spray either early morning or at sun down to not kill pollinating bugs.

So far, all of the above have made this a really good garden year (so far), but we have had really good weather which helps a lot.

I also blast all new starts with a water stream to knock off any unwanted pests.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When my tomatoes get munched I use Monterey BT, or, the organic Southern Ag equivalent. Usually works.

Tomato worms glow in black light, so we go out at night to find them. They leave little black poops on the leaves.

I use Take Down Garden spray on bugs (like aphids).

I've tried all kinds of home remedies, but find it easier and more effective to just buy the right stuff to kill them.

Spray either early morning or at sun down to not kill pollinating bugs.

So far, all of the above have made this a really good garden year (so far), but we have had really good weather which helps a lot.

I also blast all new starts with a water stream to knock off any unwanted pests.
We have some Monterey BT- it works well for us.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:19 PM

Our 3 year old haskap berry bushes are producing nicely. We’ve harvested 5 lbs off 4 plants already this year. We’ve harvested about 3lbs of strawberries.

We have a lot of nice bok Choi and lettuce coming in. Taters are looking good, green beans are starting to take off and our radish harvest is over- not as much as we hoped but enough for a batch of Korean radish soup. Cabbage plants look awesome this year and bingo beans are starting to climb.

It’s been a tough year but things are looking up.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:26 PM

5,692 posts, read 5,936,059 times
When do you sow/plant your bok choi? They always seem to bolt for me when I plant them in the spring.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
When do you sow/plant your bok choi? They always seem to bolt for me when I plant them in the spring.
As soon as the soil is workable. Last year ours bolted because it warmed up fairly quickly. This year it’s been cool and rainy and it’s flat out producing.

My wife primarily planted in raised sheep watering tanks along with lettuce.

Last edited by Threerun; 06-26-2023 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden