U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM

18,285 posts, read 22,446,885 times

Advertisements

My above picture is thanks to Lisa walking me through it! Now that I can do it maybe I can get some more pics soon. One of the kid's friend was here with a digital camera because I only have 35mm.

Thanks YLisa! Now how do I get it so it is tiny like others then anybody can click on the pic to see it larger?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 PM

18,285 posts, read 22,446,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
My green beans are severely damaged every morning- so I'm guessing that something nocturnal is at it
I removed a few slugs off the plants a few weeks ago and haven't seen any more after that. And out here in Colorado we don't see many snails or slugs anyway. I've moved the mulch under the plants a bit to look for earwigs but I haven't seen a thing so far! Any suggestions/ideas? These plants are flowering but some of them have no leaves- every new leaf is eaten promptly.
If you think it is critters; rabbits, deer or racoons etc put some moth balls around the edges of your garden. It will keep them out of it or at least it does in my garden. If you see bugs on the leaves sprinkle some cayenne pepper on them if you want organic. If not put Sevin dust on them. HTH.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 PM

269 posts, read 1,225,083 times
Definitely not deer, raccoon or rabbits. Our dog would be going crazy if it was!
I'm guessing it's some sort of an insect. I will try the cayenne pepper- thanks!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 AM

46,251 posts, read 21,020,697 times
I have a bed in which I spread and dug in a large amount of kitchen waste compost this spring....I have a HUGE volunteer squash plant and I just found a huge squash....zuchinni from the looks of it. I have never seen such a large squash plant the leaves must be the size of 2 dinner plates (and are splotched with grey...I dont know if tht is the natural pigment or a mildew?????they look super healthy! The squash I picked this morning is the size that I think the British would cal. a "marrow". I dont know if I will cook it....perhaps zuchinni bread? I went out and tried to redirect this zuke that swallowed Maine monster.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,085,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have a bed in which I spread and dug in a large amount of kitchen waste compost this spring....I have a HUGE volunteer squash plant and I just found a huge squash....zuchinni from the looks of it. I have never seen such a large squash plant the leaves must be the size of 2 dinner plates (and are splotched with grey...I dont know if tht is the natural pigment or a mildew?????they look super healthy! The squash I picked this morning is the size that I think the British would cal. a "marrow". I dont know if I will cook it....perhaps zuchinni bread? I went out and tried to redirect this zuke that swallowed Maine monster.
Yes compost does wonders! The gray spots are normal, its not a disease:

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/v...d/zucchini.jpg

I found zucchini recipes here, but haven't searched yet the rest of the Recipes forum in Food and Drinks:

What Do You Do With All Those Garden Vegetables?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM

46,251 posts, read 21,020,697 times
Default Monster zukes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post

I found zucchini recipes here, but haven't searched yet the rest of the Recipes forum in Food and Drinks:

Yes the photo bucket pictures are exactly like mine...except my squash are a deep glossy green. Since they were volunteers from the compost....I had thought they might be pumpkin or some inedible hybred gourd like thng....but they appear to be very nice zukes. The season was so wet and cold here.....vine crops are in short supply so I am well pleased!

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 PM

17,696 posts, read 38,286,016 times
Here's todays harvest .. I may need to open a veggie stand!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 PM

187 posts, read 925,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Okay question for ya..

I am getting more jalapenos than I bargained for I haven't been picking them lately and they are turning red!! Does this mean they are rotten now or what's the deal??
I've been letting my jalapenos go more dark green or red to let them heat up some. The light green ones weren't giving me the euphoria I was looking for.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post

I had some squash that were doing so well and all of a sudden their leaves and stems were being covered with this white fine fuzz that I figured was downy mildew. They all died.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Here's todays harvest .. I may need to open a veggie stand!!!
What're the small tomatoes called?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden