Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2024, 11:24 AM

24,779 posts, read 11,140,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Well, the deer can't get them all. Although I did protect a few.
They are precious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 06:54 AM

83,626 posts, read 75,686,410 times
Next week I will start hardening them off. (little earlier than usual)

Tomatoes doing well

Old 04-21-2024, 06:00 AM

I found a flaw with the hoophouse!

I thought mildew would be it or forgetting to lift it up in hot temps..(almost did! Reached 90F in there one day last week )

BUGS!! Small gnats are loving it inside there.

At least the greens are growing nicely

Old 04-21-2024, 07:00 AM

24,779 posts, read 11,140,961 times
Tomatoes started blooming. Greens decided not to show up. Too this, too that?

Old 04-28-2024, 11:09 AM

OMG finally... Sun and warmth! 17 days this month the max temp has been below normal. And normal is upper 50s low 60s. So its been chilly!

Dahlias will be staying outside now.

17 of 20 tubers have germinated. I did cut some tubers back in November. Happy to see they took!

Rest are in hardening off process. Hoping to put in the ground next week. (2 weeks earlier than norm)

Old 04-29-2024, 01:49 AM

5,935 posts, read 6,154,585 times
I took a bunch of plants outside on Friday before going on vacation - rocoto peppers, bluecrown passionflowers, asparagus. We're paying a neighbour to house sit while away. Looks like the weather will be really nice and comfortably frost free, although I asked my neighbour to bring them into the garage if the forecast turns for the worst. Typically, even if we don't get a frost beyond late April (happens maybe 1 in 4 years), it would at least come close, but maybe this year it won't even come close?

Coldest day in the 14 day forecast is currently a low of mid 40s and high around 60. Most days should be in 60s-low 70s, with nights in high 40s to mid 50s. Perfect hardening off weather.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:34 PM

19,896 posts, read 22,819,848 times
We're still forecast for below freezing temps and the possibility of some snow this week. We've been cleaning the beds in the garden, and I'm turning the soil by spade, not tiller. we're only going to have two active beds- the corn patch and the one with the strawberry patch.

And we got our asparagus bed ready to go- just waiting on Gurney's to deliver our plants.

My wife and I are diving into selling fruits and vegetables in the coming years. The garden is too big for just the two of us. Our property taxes went up over 40% this year due to the onslaught of newcomers and shortage of homes. It peeves us off. In order to qualify for an Ag exemption one needs to produce and sell $2,000 per year of Ag products. That would save us almost $5,000 p/yr in property taxes. I have to talk to the county and our CPA on this to ensure we can do it. It won't be a money maker per say. It would be a tax savings and an income loss (i could use the write-off, lol.

I think we could do it depending on the crops we choose. Might have to add a few raised beds, but we have room. If I went outside the 'fenced' area into other parts of our property I could definitely do it.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:18 PM

Forecast looking good here to for an early harden off / transplant this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My wife and I are diving into selling fruits and vegetables in the coming years. The garden is too big for just the two of us. Our property taxes went up over 40% this year due to the onslaught of newcomers and shortage of homes. It peeves us off. In order to qualify for an Ag exemption one needs to produce and sell $2,000 per year of Ag products. That would save us almost $5,000 p/yr in property taxes. I have to talk to the county and our CPA on this to ensure we can do it. It won't be a money maker per say. It would be a tax savings and an income loss (i could use the write-off, lol.

I think we could do it depending on the crops we choose. Might have to add a few raised beds, but we have room. If I went outside the 'fenced' area into other parts of our property I could definitely do it.
I always wondered what you did with all the produce you guys produced. Smart idea to convert into a farm. LOTS of tax benefits, especially if Trump wins. He's Pro farmers. Generating $2000 isn't a lot to be honest. I think. You can setup a stand on the road. Every seed packet you buy you can write off. Even the water bill or part of it.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:28 PM

7,342 posts, read 5,234,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We're still forecast for below freezing temps and the possibility of some snow this week. We've been cleaning the beds in the garden, and I'm turning the soil by spade, not tiller. we're only going to have two active beds- the corn patch and the one with the strawberry patch.

And we got our asparagus bed ready to go- just waiting on Gurney's to deliver our plants.

Good plan....Considering the tax savings, you could always adjust your input costs on your tax forms to make it look like you're making your profit goa!.

Also, consider keeping a few "organic" hens-- they need little space or feed, and those partially educated, suburban soccer mom's will give you $5+ per dozen,..and you get to keep the fertilizer.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:50 PM

19,896 posts, read 22,819,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Forecast looking good here to for an early harden off / transplant this year

I always wondered what you did with all the produce you guys produced. Smart idea to convert into a farm. LOTS of tax benefits, especially if Trump wins. He's Pro farmers. Generating $2000 isn't a lot to be honest. I think. You can setup a stand on the road. Every seed packet you buy you can write off. Even the water bill or part of it.
I just want to gross $2,000 a year. I think sweet corn and believe it or not- garlic are good cash crops. Tomatoes maybe but we'd need a greenhouse for that. And boy oh boy is my wife pushing for a greenhouse. I could write that off too. I've got to consider to either do this as a sole-prop, or an LLC. Actually my tax accountant can figure that one out, lol.

Last edited by Threerun; 04-29-2024 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden