Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2024, 04:46 AM

83,668 posts, read 75,935,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
That early, we usually only get them in the second half of summer here.
Does sound early but he may be down south more? I usually see them in July. I found some grubs under the soil yesterday in a few places so I put down grub control (not in the vegetable garden). Prevention is the best method. Grubs become beetles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 05:19 PM

2,738 posts, read 2,265,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
That early, we usually only get them in the second half of summer here.
We usually only get them when they blow in during the winter.

Old 05-18-2024, 08:25 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,202,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Does sound early but he may be down south more? I usually see them in July. I found some grubs under the soil yesterday in a few places so I put down grub control (not in the vegetable garden). Prevention is the best method. Grubs become beetles.
I haven't seen any grubs when digging around here yet, but I've only been digging outside the lawn.

I planted some currants today (red, black and white). Yesterday was a couple grapes. Thursday was a couple haskap. Wednesday was a peach tree. Tomorrow will be hardy kiwi, and some direct sowing, as well as moving the figs into the sun since I think they're sufficiently hardened off now.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:54 AM

19,986 posts, read 22,922,360 times
We’ve cleaned and turned all our beds except our corn patch. We’ve sowed green manure in two beds. I was going to get to the corn patch today but the weather has turned to the dark side. Cold and rainy and more snow in the high country. Supposed to get below freezing several nights this week.

Asparagus has been shipped and our cabbage has been planted. Looks like just cabbage, a few tomato plants and sweet corn is all we’re doing this year.

Old 05-19-2024, 02:32 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,594,443 times
I’m going to limit it this year to tomatoes, beans and herbs.

Wondering what tomatoes you think are best? Looking for sweeter taste and juicy, the kind of tomato you would slice and plate with some garlic oil and seasoning.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:55 PM

19,986 posts, read 22,922,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’m going to limit it this year to tomatoes, beans and herbs.

Wondering what tomatoes you think are best? Looking for sweeter taste and juicy, the kind of tomato you would slice and plate with some garlic oil and seasoning.
It's regional. You should call your local extension office and see what varieties grow best in your region/micro-climate.

Old 05-19-2024, 07:13 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,594,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's regional. You should call your local extension office and see what varieties grow best in your region/micro-climate.
Good idea. I sometimes get plants already started at a local school that has an Ag department. I think I’ll ask some questions there too if they are selling any this week.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:41 AM

Let the challenges begin.

Couple friends of mine always ask why I waste my time on a garden. LOL. Aside from being therapeutic and tasting better than store bought crap, I think it's just in my Italian blood.

I sprayed both garden beds with 1/2 cup Canola Oil, drop of dish soap in gallon of water. Lets see if it makes a difference. I may do a 2nd spray at night. I heard some insects come out at night only.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:50 AM

I have to admit... Looking back at my threads, something happened after 2017 that the garden doesn't feel the same. Either its because I'm planting less stuff (looking thinner) or the soil is infected? I may do a whole soil replacement soon. I used to add compost maybe that led to a fuller garden. The city did spray some toxic crap to kill invasive weeds, maybe thats it. Ugh

Old 05-21-2024, 07:47 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,202,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I have to admit... Looking back at my threads, something happened after 2017 that the garden doesn't feel the same. Either its because I'm planting less stuff (looking thinner) or the soil is infected? I may do a whole soil replacement soon. I used to add compost maybe that led to a fuller garden. The city did spray some toxic crap to kill invasive weeds, maybe thats it. Ugh
I'd be surprised if the soil needed to be replaced. I know about amending lower quality soil but replacing it?? Have you not added compost or mulch in the past few years? You don't need much, but something equivalent to about 1" of compost per year.

You sure the trees around the garden aren't getting bigger and making it more shady?

The toxic spray could be a thing, but it should wear off after a few years. It'll also affect some plant more than others. If it's round-up or the like, I believe monocots like onions should be less affected, and brassicas also hold up better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden