Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 02:23 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times

Advertisements

elston we are paying $3 per dozen in my part of Indiana but we get like 13-15 ears per dozen. My usual farmer will sell me a bushel to put up for around $7.

YLisa it is from the cool temps that is causing them to delay ripening. I got a 3 gallon bucket of red ones just about an hour ago from ours. It should "normally" take about 50-60 days but our temps have not been normal all over this year sadly. As long as no bugs are picnicing in a few more days you will be having them coming out of your ears! Are you eating any green ones? Frying them up? Green tomato relish? Your patio would be a good place to lay out the not quite ripened ones also the heat from the cement will help them ripen. But it is better to leave them on the vines to do it naturally.

North Beach Person wish we had those prices back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM

44,885 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Yeah, Jaxson, that corn put my cousins through college.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,487,556 times
I have a question. If I want to use my tomatoes ans jalapenos to make salsa to can, can I do that without using preservatives? Someone told me if I cook them high enough for long enough that it would be okay. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:41 PM

47,841 posts, read 21,871,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I have a question. If I want to use my tomatoes ans jalapenos to make salsa to can, can I do that without using preservatives? Someone told me if I cook them high enough for long enough that it would be okay. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dramamamma, the canning process is the variable here and it is the important one....tomatoes are high in acid so they are very safe to can....if you follow the normal instructions about sterilization of the jars and water baths and all that....(I dont can so I dont know but it is important to do it right)....you cant can without cooking the product so it won't be like fresh salsa.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Do you have a recipe you are going to use? As long as you don't put other ingredients in the salsa requiring it to be pressure canned you will be fine. It is up to you whether you want to put salt in each jar or not, it acts as a preservative also. I canned salsa one year it turned out fine for my DS and friends that practically lived here every night. You are only processing it for a short time in a water bath canner. Under pressure it would start turning to mush just from the pressure I would think.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 AM

Thanks, elston and jaxson. It's a pico de gallo recipe and calls for green onions, cucumbers, lime juice, tomatoes and jalapenos. Would it be better to freeze it?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 AM

47,841 posts, read 21,871,995 times
I really am not the one to ask.....I am not knowledgable about "putting food by" as they used to call it. Good Luck. They used to have that pico de gallo out on the counter in Mexican resturants in California....along with t he napkins and salt and pepper. Good Stuff.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks, elston and jaxson. It's a pico de gallo recipe and calls for green onions, cucumbers, lime juice, tomatoes and jalapenos. Would it be better to freeze it?
I would think water bath canning it would give you a fresher taste but I prefer canning over freezing. I don't have to worry about storms knocking my power out then what to do with the food if it stays out very long.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I would think water bath canning it would give you a fresher taste but I prefer canning over freezing. I don't have to worry about storms knocking my power out then what to do with the food if it stays out very long.
Thanks! I'll be picking up my canning jars tomorrow!

Old 08-09-2009, 05:35 AM

It turned out well. As I chopped the ingredients, I put them in a pot on the stove when all was there and well heated, I rinsed the jars with hot water and filled them and put them into boiling water. I was surprised at how much it reduced down though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden