Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,680,762 times

Advertisements

I froze mine this year, have a very limited space for storing my canning foods and wanted to save that for string beans and tomatoes and pickles....sigh, but the critters ate my string beans this year! I have 45 tomato plants that we had to plant late due to wet conditions that are just now starting to really bear, so I will soon be doing a lot of canning . I hope to get at least 2 churns of pickles as well and maybe 5 quarts of icebox pickles so this should fill up my space pretty quickly as i anticipate a lot of tomatoes.

Usually we plant corn, but our garden spot was simply too wet this year and by the time it dried out, we were afraid it was too late to plant thus I had to buy it. I must admit, it was some of the best sweet corn I've tasted in quite a long time, I wish I had asked the name of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,410,295 times
I have aquired a taste for Kale this year and hear that I can plant a fall crop of this tasty vegetable. I've only grown beans, tomatoes and herbs in the past. Is there anything different that I'd need to give to Kale other than a pot in the sunshine with some new potting soil and a few trowelfuls of compost?

Like with my tomatoes, I usually make sure I crush up some eggshells into the soil - and I've not had the blossom end rot that is affecting my neighbors (though I also compost the egg shells - so that's probably where they are really getting the calcium from)

Is there anything more I should give kale so that it grows strong and fast?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM

48,288 posts, read 22,063,011 times
I remember that my father grew kale in RI....and he insisted that it was inedible until it had been snowed on and the temp had gone well below freezing....and he would cover the rows and go out when there was deep snow on the ground and harvest kale. He said that the kale converted its starch to sugars after freezing.

I dont know any special requirements for a good crop.....he was pretty organic gardener and his soil was deep and rich.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM

^^^^ Thanks elston! I've heard that a frost makes kale even better, and I'm looking forward to trying it!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,624,302 times
Hello, gardeners. We're about to enter the 2nd growing season here. Last spring I planted cantaloupes for the first time. The vines and leaves were very green and they bloomed prolifically, but they never produced any melons. I heard there were male and female blooms. How do I tell? Can I pollinate them myself? We had a similar scenario with the watermelon but we did get one fruit. Any suggestions on what I should do or what I did wrong?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 AM

When we grew pumkins at the barn we'd take a feather or something and go around and 'polinate' all the flowers. I don't know if that was a necessary thing, or just something to keep us kids busy! I don't have the room for things that spread like that.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 AM

15 posts, read 36,987 times
I've found that my veggie plants co-exist happily alongside my perrenial flowers. And they help eliminate each others pests when they're together too.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrunner View Post
I've found that my veggie plants co-exist happily alongside my perrenial flowers. And they help eliminate each others pests when they're together too.
That's right, kidrunner!

Veggies and marigolds are a great combo. Marigolds aren't perennial - but I can collect the seed heads every year and have plenty for next year.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I have started saving the empty cardboard rolls, from TP and paper towels, to put around the transplants, to protect from cut worms. Any one else tried this?
that is good idea , I know that 's a good way ,

Last edited by Rance; 09-23-2009 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: No linking to myspace

Old 10-24-2009, 07:41 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,237,542 times
Here's a useful site I found today while browsing. Lots of good info on it about veggie gardening.

Growing Vegetables In A Home Garden : Veggie Gardener
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden