Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,772,776 times

Advertisements

Mine don’t do that good even when the pots are outside in the sun.

What are they growing in?
What do you feed them?
How do you take care of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 PM

658 posts, read 1,998,806 times
I potted it in Miracle grow potting soil that had petunias growing in it before. I just pulled out the dead plants and stuck the rooted cutting in, really didn't know what to expect.

About every 7 or 8 days I water with 1 Tbs of miracle grow in a gallon watering can. The rest of the time just tap water.

I watch the leaves for signs it needs water as I am afraid of over watering it. I think it is getting enough water if most of the leaves aren't limp feeling. The top leaves always feel limp to me so I think it has a hard time getting the water up to them but they are putting on blossoms like crazy so guess they are doing OK.

I really need stronger sunlight as the vines are so long and thin. I have some vines tied to the blind cord and another tacked to the window frame. I have many more I should tie up and position for better sun. Maybe I'll do that today.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:06 PM

44,885 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Typically sewage sludge (here a company called BioGro markets it) is not permitted to be used on crops for human consumption. A coming thing is to spray treated wastewater on landscaping rather than releasing it into a waterway (here the Chesapeake).

Old 03-08-2010, 06:37 AM

187 posts, read 947,117 times
Default Does anyone know???

I am prepping my garden for this year. I pulled some carrots up from last year's crop. They're giant sized.

Does anyone know if they are ok to eat?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 AM

433 posts, read 1,138,828 times
I'm sure that they're ok to eat but they might be hard. I have read about carrots and turnips being stored in the garden in winter covered with straw to insulate the soil and keep them from freezing.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,620,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
I am prepping my garden for this year. I pulled some carrots up from last year's crop. They're giant sized.

Does anyone know if they are ok to eat?
If they're real carrots, like someone else posted, probably a bit hard and coarse.

However, as a caution on the subject - a few years ago up north where we lived someone pulled up a wild carrot (vegetation looks just like edible carrots), ate it, and died. Very sad, so be careful. Know what you are ingesting. (I hear same goes for "wild" onions). Yet, I hear all the time about people harvesting wild asparagus from roadside fields.

I don't have the knowledge to gather my own salads in the wild, so I stay away from that.

Yesterday temps hit the 60's, and they will be in the same range all week (as high as 69, they say)...so this is the week I'll get the garden prepared, maybe even do some sowing. Last frost date is generally in mid March. Can't wait!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 AM

187 posts, read 947,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
I'm sure that they're ok to eat but they might be hard. I have read about carrots and turnips being stored in the garden in winter covered with straw to insulate the soil and keep them from freezing.
Thanks. I boiled them last night with seasoning. They're on the stove now. I guess I'll try them at lunch...If I make it through, I'll write back.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:53 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
Thanks. I boiled them last night with seasoning. They're on the stove now. I guess I'll try them at lunch...If I make it through, I'll write back.
How long of lunch are you taking? Did ya make it through?

We hit 55º in my part of Indiana today suppose to be like that for a few days. Just turned the furnace down not off it is too early here yet. Our last frost date in May.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 AM

433 posts, read 1,138,828 times
Well I sure hope you make it too. hehe I'm sure one could have been small diced for a soup or something. Maybe that would have softened it up a bit. Or flavoring when you boil a chicken and that way you would have flavor but not have to eat it.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
If they're real carrots, like someone else posted, probably a bit hard and coarse.

However, as a caution on the subject - a few years ago up north where we lived someone pulled up a wild carrot (vegetation looks just like edible carrots), ate it, and died. Very sad, so be careful. Know what you are ingesting. (I hear same goes for "wild" onions). Yet, I hear all the time about people harvesting wild asparagus from roadside fields.

I don't have the knowledge to gather my own salads in the wild, so I stay away from that.

Yesterday temps hit the 60's, and they will be in the same range all week (as high as 69, they say)...so this is the week I'll get the garden prepared, maybe even do some sowing. Last frost date is generally in mid March. Can't wait!
Wild carrots can be confused with a deadly plant known as poison hemlock. There's unfortunately many poisonous plants that can be easily confused with edibles by the inexperienced. Mushrooms are the most dangerous edible to gather wild however, I won't collect wild mushrooms myself, though I collect most other wild edibles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden