Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,422,988 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried those topsy turvey tomato things? The resident squrrel ate my last years tomato plant (in a planter) down to a NUB. I have a deck off my apartment, and can hang those. Wondering if they'll be worth it. Anyone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,561,776 times
My personal experience was that the tomato plants I grew in a big planter box did much much better than the topsy turvy plants.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,937 times
lialleycat I wish I could remember what link I read this on but some HOAs are strictly enforcing no veggies in the front yards. To me that is stupid as long as the property owners takes care of the weeds and veggies. The day I give up control on my property & what to do on it is the day I'm buried.

Debsi bummer hope the 2nd go around works better. Can you have a salad garden down there all summer or does it get to hot? I keep saying I want to tear out a fern bed by my front porch and plant a salad & herb garden there.

nan5623 had 2 city friends try those last year without much success. They don't give the yields they claim to and the tomatoes tend to have a hot house taste to them here in Indiana. Try putting moth balls around your container or spraying the outside of it with vinegar to keep critters away. Do not put the moth balls on top of your soil it can be toxic to your plants. Of course the vinegar will have to be repeated often depending on your weather.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:31 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,561,776 times
I think it would be way too hot, but I've never grown lettuce yet. I am still learning gardening.

I had some lettuce seeds in the moldy seed starter...

I will try again this weekend but I bet I'll end up with mostly transplants as usual. I never seem to save much money buying seeds because I am such a brown thumb!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,410,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
lialleycat I wish I could remember what link I read this on but some HOAs are strictly enforcing no veggies in the front yards. To me that is stupid as long as the property owners takes care of the weeds and veggies. The day I give up control on my property & what to do on it is the day I'm buried.
I'm not surprised about the HOA's rules. It's one of the main reasons I struggle with my house - it'd be cheaper for me to go into a condo or something like that - but the rules would send my blood pressure through the roof. So, for health reasons, I keep my house and work towards making my income go up or relocate to a lower COL!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think it would be way too hot, but I've never grown lettuce yet. I am still learning gardening.

I had some lettuce seeds in the moldy seed starter...

I will try again this weekend but I bet I'll end up with mostly transplants as usual. I never seem to save much money buying seeds because I am such a brown thumb!
That would be an early garden or a later garden to try your hand at. You do have a lot of direct intense heat so can't do it in the summer months. Once you do one it is a lot of fun to pick, wash then eat fresh salads daily. BTW I have been gardening all my life pretty much and I don't have good luck starting from seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I'm not surprised about the HOA's rules. It's one of the main reasons I struggle with my house - it'd be cheaper for me to go into a condo or something like that - but the rules would send my blood pressure through the roof. So, for health reasons, I keep my house and work towards making my income go up or relocate to a lower COL!
I really, really dread the day I sell this farm and move closer to town when I get an empty nest. It is to much for me to take care of alone but I like people just don't want them living on top of me. It will be an adjust to get use to cars driving by with loud music, car doors slamming, kids screaming or parents screaming after their kids etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,732,497 times
I really, really dread the day I sell this farm and move closer to town when I get an empty nest. It is to much for me to take care of alone but I like people just don't want them living on top of me. It will be an adjust to get use to cars driving by with loud music, car doors slamming, kids screaming or parents screaming after their kids etc.[/quote]

So, don't sell it. Sell just a part of the land and keep your lovely corner of the universe to yourself! It sounds wonderful. Keep enough to give you lots of elbow room so that, if anyone builds on the land they buy, you won't hear their music. I like people too, but don't want the homes to be so close that I can see what they're having for dinner (unless I'm invited)!

I'd actually love to be on a farm. You're lucky.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,410,295 times
Quote:
I really, really dread the day I sell this farm and move closer to town when I get an empty nest. It is to much for me to take care of alone but I like people just don't want them living on top of me. It will be an adjust to get use to cars driving by with loud music, car doors slamming, kids screaming or parents screaming after their kids etc.
So don't sell. Pare down or take in borders who want to learn to garden and farm but that can't afford to buy a farm of their own. That's what my Great Grammy did. Had a couple living on her farm, they did all the work, sold the produce and made the money on it, and she just lived in her house. When she passed on, the farm was sold to them at a good price. They became more like her family over time and she got to be where she wanted for her entire life. Sounded like a win win to me.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
OMG ! I just saw a squirrel poking around in my newly planted Swiss Chard ~~~~ do they eat veggies?

YES, they will indeed. The resident fat squirrel ate my heirloom tomato plant down to a nub. that rascal.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the garden thread come back often as the season is nearing for many of us. I'm a couple of months away from breaking ground in Indiana but I like reading when others start.

Thank you, Jaxson for the info on vinegar to keep the critters away!! I'll try that indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden