Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 03:09 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,937 times

Advertisements

Guess I should clarify something this use to be a working farm but my mother & her sibs sold off the farm ground when grandpa died. I only have 5acres and the farm house that is going to be to much for me one day.

What I'm hoping is my DS will get serious & settle down so he can buy the farm off me.

nan5623 you're welcome let us know if it works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,454,462 times
It's almost time. I still have to wait until May but I can plan

jaxson- What was the vinegar trick for critters?

Can everyone tell me what flowers work best with vegetable plants? What works best for you?

Also, what do all of you use for growing beans on?

Thanks, I'm just getting back into garden mode.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Hi Lisa the vinegar tip was for an apt. dweller who container gardens. Squirrels were getting first pickings.

Marigold and zinnia are very common garden border flowers.

I don't plant pole beans instead I plant bush green beans sorry.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:28 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,454,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Hi Lisa the vinegar tip was for an apt. dweller who container gardens. Squirrels were getting first pickings.

Marigold and zinnia are very common garden border flowers.

I don't plant pole beans instead I plant bush green beans sorry.
Thanks jaxson. I tried both pole and bush beans last year. My pole beans didn't do well...I think it was because of my little girl garden, lol. I am still going to try them again this year but I will plant less.

About how many beans do you get from 1 bush plant? And when can I re plant a new bush plant in the same spot?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,732,497 times
Just an interesting tip:

I was anxious to start planting as soon as really nice weather hit and figured I'd cover things on cold nights. Planted one tomato plant and some herbs. Even though I covered the tomato plant, one really cold night it froze. I started to pull it up, but decided to leave it to see what it would do. It seemed all dead and limp above ground, but is now pushing out new leaves from the base of the dead branches, and from the stem close to the ground. I think it will grow after all. I shall watch it with interest.

So, if you have lost some things due to a cold snap, you may not get any of it back, but it's worth waiting a few days to see what's what. I certainly didn't expect this tomato to recover!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It's almost time. I still have to wait until May but I can plan

jaxson- What was the vinegar trick for critters?

Can everyone tell me what flowers work best with vegetable plants? What works best for you?

Also, what do all of you use for growing beans on?

Thanks, I'm just getting back into garden mode.
I have a couple of questions for anyone and an answer for you: we grow our beans on a combination of chain link fence (which is around part of our garden plus I use some poles.

I too want more info on the vingegar..I did just put some beans in (they are in the fenced part of the area, but I will be doing squash seeds and cukes in another week or so outside the fence. I know the deer do not like squash nor do the squirrels, but I am would still like to try the vinegar for safety.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 AM

I am still afraid to plant our tomotoe plants, it is jut too early, I decided the seed types would be fine. By the time they germinate the threat of frost should be gone, if not, I will just have to re-plant. We will be leaving town for 10 days in about 3 weeks, think I will put the tomotoes out just before we leave and pray a lot...Boy, I have been waiting for this time of the year since last Oct when we took everything out and said goodbye to the garden for 6 months.

Nita

Old 04-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know the deer do not like squash nor do the squirrels, but I am would still like to try the vinegar for safety.
The vinegar is for container gardening to keep critters out. You'd have to have a truck sprayer on standby in a real garden.

I have success keeping deer and other critters out of my garden by laying down moth balls on the edge of the garden. Some folks don't like to do that because it is toxic but I live in the country nobody's pet gets into my garden.

Lisa you could probably get enough beans for you to eat fresh off of 2 bush plants. Will Mike eat them? I sow my beans every 2-2 1/2 weeks that way I have green beans all summer and enough to can up.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
The vinegar is for container gardening to keep critters out. You'd have to have a truck sprayer on standby in a real garden.

I have success keeping deer and other critters out of my garden by laying down moth balls on the edge of the garden. Some folks don't like to do that because it is toxic but I live in the country nobody's pet gets into my garden.

Lisa you could probably get enough beans for you to eat fresh off of 2 bush plants. Will Mike eat them? I sow my beans every 2-2 1/2 weeks that way I have green beans all summer and enough to can up.
Thanks a bunch, I don't have anyway to get the truck into the yard guess I might try the moth balls. I am not worried about a little bit of toxic stuff, of course our dog and cat might be interested but I don't even think they are dumb enough to bother something like that.

Nita

Old 04-03-2010, 04:28 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,134,466 times
I really like carrots.. so I'm gonna take one out of your veggie garden here... but I'm hiding an egg that is really special...

thanks for the munchie.. Santa gets cookies, I get carrots...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden