Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,102,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
For the slugs you may like to try lager, beer, or maybe bitter in a small tub or glass.
All you do with this, is sink it in the soil almost down to soil level near to your plants.
The slugs and snails are attracted to the smell, they go and have a drink, get drunk, and fall in and drown while inebriated.
You could cover it with a small slab or saucer on a few stones to save small animals such as Toads or Frogs from falling in accidentally, both of which are beneficial in the garden.

You know, I think he did mention something about beer. I only remember because hubby got really excited when he heard about beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 06:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,467,317 times
Has anyone tried growing corn and pole beans together?

I am going to try it this year and see how it does. I will plant the corn first and then about a week later plant the beans. hopefully I can train the beans to grow around the corn.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM

33,029 posts, read 36,611,665 times
I was going to try that a few years ago. After some internet research, I figured out that it wasn't the best idea.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,390,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Has anyone tried growing corn and pole beans together?

I am going to try it this year and see how it does. I will plant the corn first and then about a week later plant the beans. hopefully I can train the beans to grow around the corn.
Yep! It worked really well. I did not have to train the beans around the corn, they did that themselves. Last year we planted the seeds at the same time. This year I will plant the corn first. I collected enough seed from the beans (Hidasta soup beans) to plant as many beans as corn this year. The package from Seed Savers said that variety was a good cornfield variety. Saved room in the garden!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:17 PM

13,722 posts, read 10,091,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You know, I think he did mention something about beer. I only remember because hubby got really excited when he heard about beer.
Most of us do, I think it's a gender thing.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,467,317 times
Thanks for the replies. I have limited space so I might have to re think that idea.

I wanted to plant Kentucky Blue pole beans but I want them to also produce beans

Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,104,247 times
My beans are coming up and so is the squash, the tomatoe plants are in, more squash and cukes will go in tomorrow, more beans on Monday, then we are out of here for a 2 week vacation. Let the rains begin!!!!

Nita

Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,234,150 times
Lucky you here in my part of Indiana we are back down to 30s at night and high 40s during the day. Some neighbors near me planted the last 2 weekends I told them they would probably be sorry. Our ground just isn't warm enough to put seeds in and plants will get nipped with the frost.

We did go buy our seed corn, green beans, cukes & carrots yesterday just to try to stop the itch in the fingers.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,474,748 times
I planted asparagus roots yesterday
Never have had asparagus, not sure what to expect. We are having unusually warm April, my gardening itch has resulted in planting carrots, onions, beets, summer savory, pole sugar snap peas and other misc. that said "plant before last frost". Because the last frost is yet to come.

But, I purchased floating row covers this year, and find I am not as scared expecting freezing temperatures. I saw these floating row covers last year driving by some farms (they went on for hundreds of yards, covering lettuce and such), and imitated them last year covering half a carrot row with an old lace drapery. After seeing how much bushier and earlier and stronger those half carrots were comparing to the other half, I became a convert. Not speaking about protecting the early seedlings from pests and flying weed spores. I will remove the row covers after the 4th-5th leaf or so. These are the floating row covers: Floating Row Covers - Veseys

Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,102,684 times
My beans are doing extremely well, too. They are growing like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden