Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,815,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
We planted some cold weather crops, radish, broccoli, spinach, arugula..& then I stuck some tomatos in between..
Spinach is our first crop. Peas are around the edges..& I keep adding & adding..
I'm turning green with envy. Not jealousy. Best wishes for a bountiful harvest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,388,303 times
We had snow flurries all day today. This cold weather won't leave! I am wondering if my tomatoes are going to flower before I get them in the ground! I really need to get them out of my house, they are getting big!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:23 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,410,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
We planted some cold weather crops, radish, broccoli, spinach, arugula..& then I stuck some tomatos in between..

Spinach is our first crop. DD picked the spinach.Peas are around the edges..& I keep adding & adding..
Looks good!

Yeah, isn't funny how you just can't stop buying more plants and seeds and growing more and more! The bf laughs at me. But he says its better that I get obsessed with having the latest cool veggie seeds than a coach pocketbook or something. Much cheaper for him too!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:34 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,610,025 times
Default More snow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
We had snow flurries all day today. This cold weather won't leave! I am wondering if my tomatoes are going to flower before I get them in the ground! I really need to get them out of my house, they are getting big!
I woke up this morining and saw snow falling at my house, too. Why is it that the rest of the nation seems to have relatively mild weather while those of us in certain parts of California are still dealing with snow?

Old 05-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,162,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm turning green with envy. Not jealousy. Best wishes for a bountiful harvest.
Thanks Nomad!

I love spinach. But we all decided we hate arugula!

Radishes are looking good, but not big enough to pick.

Peas look good but I have no pods yet...

Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,152,792 times
It's so nice to see so many of my CD friends in here!!!

Gue, your garden looks wonderful. Thanks to the rains that we've had this year in S.C. Texas, it looks like we might actually have a productive garden this year.

Will keep you posted!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,388,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I woke up this morining and saw snow falling at my house, too. Why is it that the rest of the nation seems to have relatively mild weather while those of us in certain parts of California are still dealing with snow?
LOL We seem to have bad weather like this every 5-6 years. 2004 or 2005 was a pretty cold year. We didn't plant much until the first weekend in June. We are up in Northeastern CA. My son's little league game was snowed out today, lol. Its crazy!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,610,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
LOL We seem to have bad weather like this every 5-6 years. 2004 or 2005 was a pretty cold year. We didn't plant much until the first weekend in June. We are up in Northeastern CA. My son's little league game was snowed out today, lol. Its crazy!
I'm in the mountains just south of the south end of the San Joaquin Valley, and we had more snow again today, though not very much (~1/2 to 1 inch). The problem is that I have some tomato and pepper plants to get into the ground, but I don't want them to die because of the freezing weather.

Usually, it's safe to plant things after Mother's day, but there have been several times since I've lived here that we've had snow in June. This could end up being another one of those years.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,064,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I'm in the mountains just south of the south end of the San Joaquin Valley, and we had more snow again today, though not very much (~1/2 to 1 inch). The problem is that I have some tomato and pepper plants to get into the ground, but I don't want them to die because of the freezing weather.

Usually, it's safe to plant things after Mother's day, but there have been several times since I've lived here that we've had snow in June. This could end up being another one of those years.
Wow, and here we are 89 degrees. At least our garden is going strong including the grass in the garden..

I have a zillion volunteer tomato plants along with the 12 I planted. I will be anxious to see if the volunteers do anything..

NIta

Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM

183 posts, read 352,678 times
We had 2 inches of snow Saturday!! Looks like the holiday weekend will be warming with Monday almost up to normal. Should allow us to get seeds into the garden (lettuce, greens, potatoes, herbs, zucs). By the time they sprout, we should have more stable weather. The tomatoes, cucs, and peppers are up and growing in pots. They won't go in until mid June. Before that, its too risky. Thankfully hard freezes are uncommon until mind October around here.

By next year we should have a everything in place to be able to plant earlier, but right now the beds aren't even full of soil yet! I have a lot of shoveling to do this weekend. Then extend the drip irrigation. Constructing supports for plastic sheeting to cover the plants in the early and late season come next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden