Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,011,764 times

Advertisements

I am happy to report that my chinese pumpkins are doing well. It's only been a couple of weeks since.

It went from this

To this

A closer look at the female flower, you can see the fruit is forming behind the flower

On another pumpkin, a male flower is blooming. You can also see lots of little buds are getting ready to bloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I am happy to report that my chinese pumpkins are doing well. It's only been a couple of weeks since.

It went from this

To this

A closer look at the female flower, you can see the fruit is forming behind the flower

On another pumpkin, a male flower is blooming. You can also see lots of little buds are getting ready to bloom.
wow, that is awesome, you sure can see the fruit.

Now, I checked my garden this AM, I have lots of little tomotoes and yes, am getting my squash blossoms, but haven't checked to see if any fruit is forming on the vines. My green bean plants are climbing up everything they can find to climb up plus along with my volunteer tomtoes I have volunteer squash or cukes as well, don't know which, the plants are too small.

Just checked and the squash bloosems are lady squash, we have lots of little yellow squash...
Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 05-28-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,161,705 times
My peas are in flower! Can't wait till I see pea pods!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,536,957 times
I have to stick to containers as my irises have taken over my sunny side of the property. Going with tomatoes, jalapenos and chili peppers this year.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 AM

95 posts, read 505,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

It went from this

To this

I didn't know they grew that fast! My pumpkin plants look like your first photo. Hopefully in a couple weeks mine will have cute little pumpkins! Mine are also in a raised bed. Thanks for the photos, I'm using them for comparison to mine!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 PM

22 posts, read 99,402 times
They look great. And yes, pumpkins grow very fast that is another reason why I like them so much.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM

ok guys,

I remembering asking this question last year but can't remember the answer (it isn't fun getting old. ) Why am I getting baby squash and they are drying up before the mature? Like I said it happened last year (early in the season as well)

Help please!!!

Nita

Old 06-05-2010, 07:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,099,454 times
Houston, we have pods. Haha. I was excited. Hubby has been taking care of the garden, and when I went to look today there were bean and pea pods. Woohoo. Now, I read that you are supposed to pick beans when they are firm, crisp, and fully elongated. However, since this is our first time we have nothing to compare it to. How am I supposed to know when they are firm enough, crisp enough, and fully elongated?

Old 06-05-2010, 11:20 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok guys,

I remembering asking this question last year but can't remember the answer (it isn't fun getting old. ) Why am I getting baby squash and they are drying up before the mature? Like I said it happened last year (early in the season as well)

Help please!!!

Nita
Sounds like to me not enough water perhaps? Do you see any kind of bug evidence on the vines or leaves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Houston, we have pods. Haha. I was excited. Hubby has been taking care of the garden, and when I went to look today there were bean and pea pods. Woohoo. Now, I read that you are supposed to pick beans when they are firm, crisp, and fully elongated. However, since this is our first time we have nothing to compare it to. How am I supposed to know when they are firm enough, crisp enough, and fully elongated?
Think finger size but not that fat around you'll be able to tell once the beans come on. You'll see tiny thin ones that aren't mature yet and ones you've missed could be 6" long but they will be dry. I usually just shell out the beans in those and throw the outside away as they are getting tough then.

Great to hear folks are having growth in gardens! Ours is all up but no blooms just yet.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Sounds like to me not enough water perhaps? Do you see any kind of bug evidence on the vines or leaves?

Think finger size but not that fat around you'll be able to tell once the beans come on. You'll see tiny thin ones that aren't mature yet and ones you've missed could be 6" long but they will be dry. I usually just shell out the beans in those and throw the outside away as they are getting tough then.

Great to hear folks are having growth in gardens! Ours is all up but no blooms just yet.
thanks Jason,

I would agree but we have had so much rain here in the past few weeks (off and on) that my herbs actually drowned and had to be replaced. When we haven't had rain for 4 or 5 days we turn the soaker hose on the squash. Maybe I still need to water them more. I don't know.
No, no bugs yet. Beleive me when I see a squash bug he or she is killed, I probably over kill. At least up to about Aug, by then we are so tired of squash we don't care.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden