Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 11:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,032,505 times

Advertisements

checked today and it looks like I am getting a couple that are going to mature. Now that I think about last year, I think someone said it had to do with polination. Yes, I did get some really little ones but so far we have had no bees or almost none. Now that our nights are warming up I would bet I can go out in the morning and have them chase me away. I probably have 50 tomatoes.

Nita
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:30 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,024 times
If we get lots of rain I go put some plastic lids under my squash & pumpkins the years I grow them. That way the don't rot from laying on the wet ground.

We have had a decrease in bee population around us also where we haven't had any fruits on our trees a couple of years in a row. Neighbors too but last year we all had great bounties from them.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 PM

433 posts, read 1,145,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Think finger size but not that fat around you'll be able to tell once the beans come on. You'll see tiny thin ones that aren't mature yet and ones you've missed could be 6" long but they will be dry. I usually just shell out the beans in those and throw the outside away as they are getting tough then.
When I first started gardening I had never heard of shelly beans. My In-laws went on vacation and told me I could pick from the garden while they were gone. All the beans were leathery on the outside so I figured they weren't good for eating and fed them all to the goats. hehe My MIL was very unhappy when she came home and found that out. I love the shelly beans and snaps.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:44 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
When I first started gardening I had never heard of shelly beans. My In-laws went on vacation and told me I could pick from the garden while they were gone. All the beans were leathery on the outside so I figured they weren't good for eating and fed them all to the goats. hehe My MIL was very unhappy when she came home and found that out. I love the shelly beans and snaps.
I bet she was!

One year before we had kids my city nephew came to stay with us for the summer he was about 13. He got so excited about mowing, gardening, picking from our fruit trees etc. One night we sent him to the garden to pick a few ears of sweet corn for supper. He was gone quite awhile when he came in he had picked every stinking ear of corn! So we had no corn to put up that winter. Live & learn.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,032,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I bet she was!

One year before we had kids my city nephew came to stay with us for the summer he was about 13. He got so excited about mowing, gardening, picking from our fruit trees etc. One night we sent him to the garden to pick a few ears of sweet corn for supper. He was gone quite awhile when he came in he had picked every stinking ear of corn! So we had no corn to put up that winter. Live & learn.
that is a similar story to last year but not quite a tragic..It was getting close to the end of the season, but we still had about a month to go and there were lots of green cherry, grape and regular tomatoes along with red ones plus yellow plum tomatoes. Our great granddaughter (about 2 1/2 at the time had just learned her colors) I took her to the garden, gave her a little basket and told her to pick the red and yellow tomatoes. I turned my back to pick some beans when I heard her say "now we will pick the green tomoatoes' and she started pulling them off as fast as she could.

Nita

ps: I think either my squash got to much rain or not enough polenation: whatever it looks like we will be able to start picking a few next week.

Nita

Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,387,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is a similar story to last year but not quite a tragic..It was getting close to the end of the season, but we still had about a month to go and there were lots of green cherry, grape and regular tomatoes along with red ones plus yellow plum tomatoes. Our great granddaughter (about 2 1/2 at the time had just learned her colors) I took her to the garden, gave her a little basket and told her to pick the red and yellow tomatoes. I turned my back to pick some beans when I heard her say "now we will pick the green tomoatoes' and she started pulling them off as fast as she could.

Nita

ps: I think either my squash got to much rain or not enough polenation: whatever it looks like we will be able to start picking a few next week.

Nita
How cute! Its nice to have kids help in the garden. They learn alot and have fun harvesting!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 AM

433 posts, read 1,145,544 times
I got my grand daughter her own little watering can so she could help her mom water the flowers in the pot that I gave them. They also have a pot of mint for tea and mojitos. They live in an apartment with very little yard so they can only have container plants. She loves being in the yard when she comes over to our place. The funny thing is she absolutely hates to get her hands dirty so grandma gets to do the dirty stuff. I always thought kids liked to play in the dirt.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,010,350 times
Hi folks,

Here's another update on my pumpkin. It's been a week since the flowers bloomed from this

To this.
I had to "help" to get the pumpkins pregnant 'cause I worry Mr. Bees were not around Now I have little pumpkins growing
I built a trellis around this one but they just grow in all 4 directions.

"Training the vine"

Little one hiding in there

My tomatoes are begin to form as well. Though I am getting lower leaves turning yellow with dark spots (blight ?). Anyone have suggestion on how to cure it?

Meanwhile, the italian basils are just going gang-buster !

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,559,524 times
Got my first crop of redskin potatoes yesterday -- I was beside myself. Container gardening rocks!

Anyway, my question is, what do you think about wooden containers? I found one just the right size to transfer cantelope plants, about 18 inches in diameter by 5 inches deep. I prefer clay or plastic containers, but can't find in that size. Let me know what you think.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,745,382 times
Since we didn't have the time (or energy) to tackle our back lot this year to redo our garden, we opted for containers instead.

Below: my biggest zucchini plant (lots of flowers, no squash forming), my first zucchini growing on plant #2, my cucumbers (with about 13 babies growing--trellis planned for this weekend), brussels sprouts, my Big Boy tomatoes (none yet growing on my roma, sweet 100, or yellow pear plants yet), and the darned rabbit that spends every evening perusing my garden. Arrgghh. We spread out used cat litter on the ground around every container the other day, and so far it's keeping him from nibbling. He sniffs....and then bolts away.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-6-7-10-00004.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-6-7-10-00005.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-6-7-10-00007.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-6-7-10-00008.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-img00065.jpg  

All Vegetable Gardening-6-7-10-00001.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden