Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 07:27 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,234,150 times

Advertisements

I'm on dial up so your pics are not showing up for me. I'd remove the yellow leaves, don't throw them on the ground in your garden though. Don't let any of the plant's leaves touch the ground, if they do remove them.

Some folks say blight comes from the wet ground others say it is an airborne fungus spore that will spread. I just remove the leaves I have sprayed my plants with water that has a touch of dish soap in it. I don't like chemicals around our food plants.

Remember to take the affected leaves away from your garden totally we usually burn it. Removing even healthy lower leaves will strengthen your stems and have more nutrients for the plant to produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 AM

5 posts, read 5,080 times
Hello,

Ya i also love gardening and making plants live. For better growing of plants i always use berst fertilizers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rance; 06-09-2010 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,102,684 times
Our garden got huge since last time we looked. Seriously, I can see the onions peeking out from the ground now. Just waiting for the green things to fall like everyone says they are supposed to. I took a picture of the biggest bean I saw. That's it with my hand in the picture.

Somehow our celery shot up to about two feet tall. I don't think it's still good if it's that big. I'm not sure why everything grew like crazy. Must be the 90 degree heat.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,165,169 times
My cold weather plants are winding down. The spinach is almost gone, the sugar snap peas are delicious. I threw the arugula on the compost pile.

I haven't picked the broccoli yet. But I will have to once we get hot weather again. (It was hot last week & got cool again this week)

My squash & pumpkin will take off once the heat starts for good. Right now the tail end of the spinach is shading some of it..Squash plants look like babies compared to some of your pictures!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,104,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
My cold weather plants are winding down. The spinach is almost gone, the sugar snap peas are delicious. I threw the arugula on the compost pile.

I haven't picked the broccoli yet. But I will have to once we get hot weather again. (It was hot last week & got cool again this week)

My squash & pumpkin will take off once the heat starts for good. Right now the tail end of the spinach is shading some of it..Squash plants look like babies compared to some of your pictures!
The cold weather veggies we had was romaine and it got completely shaded by the growth of the tomatoes. So we had our last about a week or so ago.

psf13, I can't wait to see our first beans. I expect them in the next week or so. We have zillions of blooms. Thanks for sharing and enjoy.

Nita

Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 PM

We have onions. Four of our onions were ready to be picked. They are now out to dry. I do have a storage question, though. They are supposed to be kept where it's somewhat cool and humid. It's neither one of those here. I read somewhere that you can keep them in the fridge. Would that be my best bet? Soon it'll be over 100 until summer is over, so nowhere is cool.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We have onions. Four of our onions were ready to be picked. They are now out to dry. I do have a storage question, though. They are supposed to be kept where it's somewhat cool and humid. It's neither one of those here. I read somewhere that you can keep them in the fridge. Would that be my best bet? Soon it'll be over 100 until summer is over, so nowhere is cool.
Here are a couple of options that I have used with good results. Make sure the onions are dried/cured all the way through. When mine are I put one onion in the leg of a panty hose tie a knot leaving about an inch on top on the onion. Then add another onion repeating until I have the leg full. You have your air on I'm guessing so hang them in a dark broom closet or the likes. When I need one I snip off the bottom onion through the panty hose so the rest are still knotted up. I have cut off the green turned brown tops of the onions before storing also.

You could use like a bankers box that is clean and put clean dry sand in it then bury the onions in the sand & put the lid on. Store the box is a cool dry place in your house. Leaving them in your garage with those temps would spoil them quickly.

Or even though "they" say you can't freeze onions that is hog wash in my house. I dice them lay them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet then place in the freezer. When frozen I scoop them up into a freezer zip type bag but I only use these onions in cooking not fresh in salads or on sandwiches.

Here in my part of IN I pull them up when ready and leave laying in the garden until the first chance of frost. Bring them into the garage laying single layer on top of screen mesh for a few days before storing for winter.

HTH you.

Oh forgot to tell ya don't store them in your fridge it changes the enzymes causing them to go badly quicker.

Last edited by Jaxson; 06-09-2010 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: enzymes

Old 06-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Thanks jaxson. We'll probably go the freezer route. Our air conditioner is only a wall unit, and it doesn't really cool anywhere such as a dark closet. Plus, we don't often eat fresh onions. They are almost always cooked for us.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 PM

Well phooey I forgot to tell y'all what I spied in our garden tonight! Corn is about 4" high, green beans are getting bushy saw a few blooms, tomatoes~10 out of 12 plants have lovely yellow blooms and about another week or 2 I should be able to pull our first kohlrabi! Went out to thin the carrots but they aren't ready to be thinned just yet. Something ate off 2 hills of cukes but the other 3 are huge for no longer than they have been planted. Bell peppers show no blooms yet either.

Didn't plant any zuke because the young couple down the road planted like 7 or 8 hills of them! I told them they will be having folks hiding from them when they see them coming with green zukes in their arms. They promised me some of theirs.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM

433 posts, read 1,146,153 times
I found out that pill bugs will eat zucchini plants. I came out this morning to find several of them on a leaf that was half eaten. I had no idea that those nasty things ate things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden