Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Oh feel your pain can you do some container gardening? That way you can move them around in the sun when needed?
no, that's not really an option either, unless i want to quit my job to move my plants around all day

one thing i've actually considered trying is what i've read marijuana growers do: climb a tall tree and fix a rope to a stout branch on the sunny side, then hoist a container or two up high into the canopy. but then you end up either with pumps and water lines, or pull them up and down when they need watering..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no, that's not really an option either, unless i want to quit my job to move my plants around all day

one thing i've actually considered trying is what i've read marijuana growers do: climb a tall tree and fix a rope to a stout branch on the sunny side, then hoist a container or two up high into the canopy. but then you end up either with pumps and water lines, or pull them up and down when they need watering..
Instead of hanging your plant up on a tree, why not just hang mirrors instead? Reflect the sun lights to the ground where your plants are and save the trouble with pumps & water lines.

Man, this sounds like "Sci-Fi" vegetable gardening!!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Instead of hanging your plant up on a tree, why not just hang mirrors instead? Reflect the sun lights to the ground where your plants are and save the trouble with pumps & water lines.

Man, this sounds like "Sci-Fi" vegetable gardening!!
yeah, this is getting complicated!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,139,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Hi Gue, when do you plant broccoli? I planted in early April but the weather got hot real quick and they didn't do too well :-(
I'm in NY..I always remember we are supposed to plant the cold weather crops around St Pattys Day & I can never get them in that early...so i think it was early April..I put in the broccoli, spinach, sugar snap peas, radish & brussel sprouts early..

Then we have to wait till mid May for the tomatos & squash etc...

Jax~So it is brussel sprouts..but shouldn't it have the sprouts by now? If you tell me I have to wait till August I'm gonna scream!! Seems I should have harvested by now?? What do you think??

Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
I'm in NY..I always remember we are supposed to plant the cold weather crops around St Pattys Day & I can never get them in that early...so i think it was early April..I put in the broccoli, spinach, sugar snap peas, radish & brussel sprouts early..

Then we have to wait till mid May for the tomatos & squash etc...

Jax~So it is brussel sprouts..but shouldn't it have the sprouts by now? If you tell me I have to wait till August I'm gonna scream!! Seems I should have harvested by now?? What do you think??
Well this is not a crop I grow a lot of but when I do I start the seeds inside then transfer the plants to the garden in May. They can stand cold weather and even some frost so that is why I have always planted them to be one of my last to ripen come fall.

Once your stalk starts and sprouts leaves/shoots off the main trunk your brussel sprouts will form right next to the main stalk on that leaf branch. Once you see a little bulb then you should pinch off some of that leaf it is on so it will encourage the sprout to form into a ball. Once you see the 'balls' forming them you need to pinch off the growing shoot at the top of your plants. DO NOT pinch it all off or you won't get any to mature. Pinching it back/off will send the nutrients to the sprout to form.

If that picture you posted is like your actual plant, I'd say you aren't going to get any sprouts to harvest because your stalk and leaves grew to much. But prove me wrong let one still go after you do some leaf pinching back to see if the sprouts will then form. They do need to be staked up a strong wind can knock them over breaking them if you don't. Bet ya can't guess how I found that out?

I'm sorry if this was a bust for you this year hate putting the time into planting then not get some fruits for our labor. Hope this was clear enough for you to understand.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 AM

433 posts, read 1,142,712 times
These are a couple of things I spotted on the fig today. The first one is an assassin bug. I had to research what it was because I was not certain it was a beneficial bug. The second is the mantis. He is still around and I am happy because I don't see many holes in the leaves of either the fig or the grapevine.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-bugs-fig-001.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-bugs-fig-003.jpg  

Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,139,492 times
Always wanted to try a fig...

Thanks Jaxson..if I'm understanding..I thought it was a cold weather plant so I planted it early in Spring but it seems it actually is a cold weather plant that stays good in the cold weather of Fall..

Have to decide if I am going to leave it or throw more tomatoes in it's spot~LOL!

My neice got a fig tree from her Greek FIL...wonder where I can pick one up...Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:24 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
Phawk57 I've never heard of an assassin bug I suppose you assissinated it?

Gue I don't know where you would buy one but maybe in a year or two get a start off your niece? We don't have them around here or at least I haven't seen any if they are here. I think I would pull up your brussel sprouts and try them again next year. Or leave one to see if it sprouts before your area gets to hot in consective days. Once it gets hot they are ususally toast they won't produce then.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 AM

[quote=Jaxson;14635584]Phawk57 I've never heard of an assassin bug I suppose you assissinated it?
quote]

hehe Look it up. I didn't assassinate it cuz I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did with a ladybug larva. They eat the things that eat the things that I don't want eaten. hehe

Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 AM

Gue - My hubby got mine from Gurneys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden