Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I'm afraid putting beer out might attract local unsavory people!
Just don't put out any free beer nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
no, I don't have to go to NY to have a drink.

Nita

Old 06-22-2010, 02:11 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,410,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Just don't put out any free beer nuts.
LOL! But what if they think my gardens are the salad bar?

Oh, and I loathe to think what a drunk skunk might do!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,733,544 times
Quote:
Only if you live in a college town.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:53 AM

433 posts, read 1,145,617 times
I am sooo bummed. Yesterday I looked out the patio door and noticed a large limb on the peach tree was split. I had to prune that limb off and stake a couple of other limbs that were hanging low before they split. I got about half a laundry basket of peaches off of the limb and although they are sweet they are not quite ripe. I think next year I will try to thin half of the flowers or peaches if they get to that stage. It will be interesting to see how I reach the high ones.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
I am sooo bummed. Yesterday I looked out the patio door and noticed a large limb on the peach tree was split. I had to prune that limb off and stake a couple of other limbs that were hanging low before they split. I got about half a laundry basket of peaches off of the limb and although they are sweet they are not quite ripe. I think next year I will try to thin half of the flowers or peaches if they get to that stage. It will be interesting to see how I reach the high ones.
boy do I wish I had your peach tree. I love peaches and there aren't many around here. We are going peach picking next week.

Nita

Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,733,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
boy do I wish I had your peach tree. I love peaches and there aren't many around here. We are going peach picking next week.

Nita
lucky you and Phawk! It's early for peaches here. The pear tree is heavy with fruit, though! Funny thing, some of the leaves are curling up and turning brown. I wonder if it's due to the dry weather we've had. If that was the case I would think the dead leaves would be more uniform all over the tree, but they're only on some branches, and then only near the ends. Can't find any signs of insects or chewing. Gave it a good watering this morning. The pears are ripening nicely.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,556,501 times
Default Black hairy mold on my squash!

I just noticed today that a few of my small squash are mushy and covered in black hairy mold?
We had a problem a while ago with fruit abortion (we think) so they have been watered every day with quite a lot of water. Weather here (NC Charlotte) has been quite humid and we had 2 lots of rain over past 2 days, but didn't water yesterday.

Any ideas? We have had 3 or 4 healthy squash from them so far in between the fruit abortion and now black mold!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post

I just noticed today that a few of my small squash are mushy and covered in black hairy mold?
We had a problem a while ago with fruit abortion (we think) so they have been watered every day with quite a lot of water. Weather here (NC Charlotte) has been quite humid and we had 2 lots of rain over past 2 days, but didn't water yesterday.

Any ideas? We have had 3 or 4 healthy squash from them so far in between the fruit abortion and now black mold!
We have a lot of wonderful squash, but I was about to post, asking the same question you are asking: I just noticed a squah plant and I think a cuke with the same thing, a funny, almost furry or hairy mold. The cukes are just not maturing. We too have been watering, have had lots of heat and humidity, but no rain for over a week.

All you pros out there, HELP US!!!

Nita

Old 06-26-2010, 07:37 AM

133 posts, read 627,967 times
Same problem here - Choanephora Wet Rot. Here is a link to some info about it...at the bottom of the page.

ACES Publications : GUIDE TO COMMERCIAL SUMMER SQUASH PRODUCTION : ANR-1014

I have 2 squash plants in my garden bed and a squash and 2 zuke plants in containers on my deck...all of them have some degree of wet rot.

I've been battling Downy Mildew and started to win and now this! Still getting very small amounts of squash but I was hoping to be overwhelmed my now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden