Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
Same problem here - Choanephora Wet Rot. Here is a link to some info about it...at the bottom of the page.

ACES Publications : GUIDE TO COMMERCIAL SUMMER SQUASH PRODUCTION : ANR-1014

I have 2 squash plants in my garden bed and a squash and 2 zuke plants in containers on my deck...all of them have some degree of wet rot.

I've been battling Downy Mildew and started to win and now this! Still getting very small amounts of squash but I was hoping to be overwhelmed my now.
thanks, very interesting. It looks like my problem is wet rot and yes, we do use a soaker hose. I guess I will try something else. Thank goodness I have only found it in one place, but there is still some reason the cukes just don't develop. I am going to go back and read the information again.

Thanks again,

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,183 times
Yesterday my hubby got me a couple more of the bed kits from Sams Club. They cost $36.86 plus tax. He also got me a couple of the terra cotta look rain barrels for $63.11 plus tax.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
Same problem here - Choanephora Wet Rot. Here is a link to some info about it...at the bottom of the page.

ACES Publications : GUIDE TO COMMERCIAL SUMMER SQUASH PRODUCTION : ANR-1014

I have 2 squash plants in my garden bed and a squash and 2 zuke plants in containers on my deck...all of them have some degree of wet rot.

I've been battling Downy Mildew and started to win and now this! Still getting very small amounts of squash but I was hoping to be overwhelmed my now.
Thanks for this

Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
Yesterday my hubby got me a couple more of the bed kits from Sams Club. They cost $36.86 plus tax. He also got me a couple of the terra cotta look rain barrels for $63.11 plus tax.
I think we are going to try that next year as well as what we now have.

Nita

Old 06-29-2010, 07:29 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
i should have asked this question a couple months ago, since it's too late to make a difference now, but anyway--
is anyone growing birdhouse gourds? i simply can't get the seeds to germinate.

i bought some seeds 4 yrs ago from an amish general store and not one of them germinated, and i attributed it to them just being too old or something. but this year i bought a packet from guerneys, put half of them into pots and the other half on damp paper towels, and two months later not one has germinated. i even abraded the seedcoats on some of them but it obviously didn't help.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i should have asked this question a couple months ago, since it's too late to make a difference now, but anyway--
is anyone growing birdhouse gourds? i simply can't get the seeds to germinate.

i bought some seeds 4 yrs ago from an amish general store and not one of them germinated, and i attributed it to them just being too old or something. but this year i bought a packet from guerneys, put half of them into pots and the other half on damp paper towels, and two months later not one has germinated. i even abraded the seedcoats on some of them but it obviously didn't help.
Sorry to hear you didn't have success.

This is my first time trying them. I have some good vines, not terribly tall yet, but with several blossoms. Several were planted in the ground, three in large pots.

I started them in those little peat pots (12 of them) then transplanted them when they had 2-3 leaves on them. Didn't have any difficulty germinating them, though 3 did not come up. Maybe you have a different variety but mine are also said to be bird house gourds.

Don't know what I'll do with them when they're ready to harvest. The cleaning and drying process seems quite involved. I don't know if I can do it properly.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:19 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
FINALLY! We have tons of lettuce, peas and broccoli! This year was so cold, snow through Memorial Day! I was afriad nothing would come up, but it all has taken off! I have tons of gardening to do this week.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Sorry to hear you didn't have success.

This is my first time trying them. I have some good vines, not terribly tall yet, but with several blossoms. Several were planted in the ground, three in large pots.

I started them in those little peat pots (12 of them) then transplanted them when they had 2-3 leaves on them. Didn't have any difficulty germinating them, though 3 did not come up. Maybe you have a different variety but mine are also said to be bird house gourds.

Don't know what I'll do with them when they're ready to harvest. The cleaning and drying process seems quite involved. I don't know if I can do it properly.
i'm glad to hear someone is having success with them- i've never had this problem with any other seeds. i'm not sure what i would have done with mine, either, but always thought they'd be a neat thing to grow.

i did have a bit of a problem getting my climbing spinach to germinate - i used the paper towel method on an entire packet, and only 5-6 germinated. so i went out and got another packet, same thing happened. i dumped all the ungerminated seeds together in a pot and covered them, thinking i might eventually get a couple more - and damned if every one of them didn't germinate!
now i have oodles of the silly things.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'm glad to hear someone is having success with them- i've never had this problem with any other seeds. i'm not sure what i would have done with mine, either, but always thought they'd be a neat thing to grow.

i did have a bit of a problem getting my climbing spinach to germinate - i used the paper towel method on an entire packet, and only 5-6 germinated. so i went out and got another packet, same thing happened. i dumped all the ungerminated seeds together in a pot and covered them, thinking i might eventually get a couple more - and damned if every one of them didn't germinate!
now i have oodles of the silly things.
I tried that with my cucumber seeds; it didn't work. I understand that seeds we harvest ourselves have to go through the natural "seasoning" or aging process in order to be viable. I'll see if I can find that article again on how to do this. I wouldn't think you have to do that with store-bought seeds, though. Doesn't your packet say something to the effect of what % is guaranteed to germinate? Usually that's somewhere in smaller print on the packet.

btw, I've never heard of a climbing spinach! That's what's so nice about forums like this. I never fail to learn something new.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I tried that with my cucumber seeds; it didn't work. I understand that seeds we harvest ourselves have to go through the natural "seasoning" or aging process in order to be viable. I'll see if I can find that article again on how to do this. I wouldn't think you have to do that with store-bought seeds, though. Doesn't your packet say something to the effect of what % is guaranteed to germinate? Usually that's somewhere in smaller print on the packet.

btw, I've never heard of a climbing spinach! That's what's so nice about forums like this. I never fail to learn something new.
i like to go with the paper towel method for all but the smallest seeds since i hate putting seeds into the ground that never come up, and you don't know if they sprouted and died, never sprouted, etc. but apparently that doesn't work for every seed type..

i heard about climbing spinach [which isn't really spinach at all, yet is also called malabar spinach] for the first time at a county fair last fall, the garden club had some growing. i've only eaten it raw but you can cook it - it has a slightly mucilaginous, gummy texture but tastes pretty good.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden