Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 10:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
I hate to even post this because it's such an embarrassing noob thing that I did, but here goes. I got three zucchini plants in one container and just stuck them down thinking they were so tiny that it wouldn't hurt leaving them there. Well geez those things are huge, (I had no idea), and I never got around to thinning them out or moving them apart. So now that they are 3'x3' am I able to move them or should I just hang my head in shame, put on the dunce cap and stand at the black board writing, "I should always thin my zucchini." one hundred times.
I don't know what to tell you, I am sure the real gardeners will have a clue, but I think you can thin them and at least give it a try. I planted all mine from seed, but I did some thinning yesterday. I didn't replant the ones I took out cause I have plenty and would just continue to crowd them if I did.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,017,158 times
Thanks Nita. These suckers are huge, I had no idea they would get so big. I'm already pulling zucchini off of them so I hate to move one if it's going to kill it off.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 AM

6,635 posts, read 13,587,363 times
They're too big to move easily but keeping them clumped together is going to slow production. Plants need adequate room to produce well. I'd pull at least one plant. You can try to re-plant in another spot. Production wise, you won't be any further behind if the plant doesn't live.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM

983 posts, read 2,549,733 times
I have a question about zucchini, is it hard to grow? I planted a zucchini and a summer squash about a month ago, the squash is happy and growing but the zucchini is just sitting there. I had to hand pollinate the squash since I have no bees, just ants. Should I pollinate every single bloom? what should I do with the zucchini, I bought another one and hope it will produce something.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I have a question about zucchini, is it hard to grow? I planted a zucchini and a summer squash about a month ago, the squash is happy and growing but the zucchini is just sitting there. I had to hand pollinate the squash since I have no bees, just ants. Should I pollinate every single bloom? what should I do with the zucchini, I bought another one and hope it will produce something.
WE have usually found zucchini one of the easiest things to grow and summer squash a little harder. You just can't tell. Luckily we do have bees but it is still cool here so, though our garden is growing we are a long way away from having much fresh to eat, very few blossoms.

Nita

Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,017,158 times
I didn't know you had to pollinate zucchini; you learn something new every day on these boards. I noticed a bee in there this morning so I guess I'm good for that. Thanks Maine Writer.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
I didn't know you had to pollinate zucchini; you learn something new every day on these boards. I noticed a bee in there this morning so I guess I'm good for that. Thanks Maine Writer.
as long as you have even one bee you are just fine.

Nita

Old 05-20-2011, 06:19 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,732,497 times
A few of our neighbors have a few bee hives. Yeah!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
A few of our neighbors have a few bee hives. Yeah!
Just checked our tomatoes now that it isn't raining (for a day at least) I have more blossoms than I can count so hope Mr Bee comes, does his job and reports back to the queen.

Nita

Old 05-22-2011, 01:47 PM

983 posts, read 2,549,733 times
My zucchini is looking better we had rain and now we are having some really hot sun, we are above 90 for a whole week. I have been watering and watching my garden, it's my first time so I feel really protective of my plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden