Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,409,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just checked our tomatoes now that it isn't raining (for a day at least) I have more blossoms than I can count so hope Mr Bee comes, does his job and reports back to the queen.

Nita
Actually it'd be Ms. Bee. Males bees only exist in the hive to fertilize the queen. Female bees do the 'shopping' at the flowers, bring the nectar home, put up the honey and take care of the young. Sound familiar? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,023,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Actually it'd be Ms. Bee. Males bees only exist in the hive to fertilize the queen. Female bees do the 'shopping' at the flowers, bring the nectar home, put up the honey and take care of the young. Sound familiar? LOL!
well that is pretty old fashion to me, typical men, they have one thing on their minds..

Nita

Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,008,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well that is pretty old fashion to me, typical men, they have one thing on their minds..

Nita
Football ?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,008,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I dunno about this. All the bees I've seen in my backyard don't have breasts.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I dunno about this. All the bees I've seen in my backyard don't have breasts.
They just don't want any cross-species ogling, so they keep them under wraps.

We have cute little white eggplants now, more purple eggplants, teeny cucumbers, and lots of green tomatoes. Spaghetti squash is coming along nicely, but not to blooming stage yet (we planted them late).

Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,919,888 times
I just planted my garden last weekend, hopefully we won't have any more frosts or freezes. Raised bed in an L shape about 25x25x10. Planted everything I could get my hands on except for sweet corn. People were buying these huge tomato plants for $10.00 each at the garden center, I got my usual 4 pack for 99 cents on sale. A friend planted 80 tomato plants in her garden, she likes to can and have plenty for winter. I installed an irrigation drip system on a timer so no standing over it for hours watering. Waiting on warm weather so things will grow.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,023,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I just planted my garden last weekend, hopefully we won't have any more frosts or freezes. Raised bed in an L shape about 25x25x10. Planted everything I could get my hands on except for sweet corn. People were buying these huge tomato plants for $10.00 each at the garden center, I got my usual 4 pack for 99 cents on sale. A friend planted 80 tomato plants in her garden, she likes to can and have plenty for winter. I installed an irrigation drip system on a timer so no standing over it for hours watering. Waiting on warm weather so things will grow.
geeze, how much canning does she do? Like you, I pretty much get the 4 packs. I did buy a couple of the $3.50 single plants only because we love grape tomatoes and could not find them in any other containers.

As for your friend, I can also, get plenty of tomatoes and only plant about a dozen plants. She must eat them daily in the winter.

Nita

Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,489,440 times
I can't believe it, but this, (me), brown thumb, lady actually has green beans growing in her container garden.

I saw the one bean coming in earlier in the week and thought wow, but, now I'm convinced, it's not a fluke, there are more coming in and the first one is now just over four inches. To think I started the plant from seed a little over a month ago. Now if only the pepper, zucchini, tomato and others would give me some sign that I'm not the grim reaper for plants.

Yes, I'm way over excited about my little accomplishment. You all just don't know how many plants in the past I've put to death.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:20 PM

983 posts, read 2,549,280 times
Default Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I can't believe it, but this, (me), brown thumb, lady actually has green beans growing in her container garden.

I saw the one bean coming in earlier in the week and thought wow, but, now I'm convinced, it's not a fluke, there are more coming in and the first one is now just over four inches. To think I started the plant from seed a little over a month ago. Now if only the pepper, zucchini, tomato and others would give me some sign that I'm not the grim reaper for plants.

Yes, I'm way over excited about my little accomplishment. You all just don't know how many plants in the past I've put to death.
Good for you, please share a pic if you can. I didn't try beans but I am working on my green thumb too and I have tomatoes and peppers now growing.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:22 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,489,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Good for you, please share a pic if you can. I didn't try beans but I am working on my green thumb too and I have tomatoes and peppers now growing.
Just took these today. Will be updating my layout and pics in another week or so, kinda made a mess after getting rid of some terrible soil that smoothered roots of other plants. BTW, my bean plant is in a self-watering contraption that I threw together after watching some youtube videos.

PS the spots on the leaves is just some cinnamon I springled around the plants because I had a bunch of ants on my balcony.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-veggies-005.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-veggies-006.jpg  

Last edited by TRosa; 05-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: added a note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden