Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,011,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
HB2HSV,

Very nice pea garden set up. Makes me wish I had more space than a balcony.
Thanks TRosa

You know... a balcony can grow sugar snap peas as well. Does it get plenty of sun?

You can grow peas in containers with simple trellis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,017,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
We call those christophenes in the caribbean, but no not growing any.
Well after looking them up a bit it seems that mirlitons aka chayote, aka vegetable pears, aka chokos, aka christophenes, don't do anything until fall. So now don't I feel silly sitting over these things waiting for some flower action to happen. I'll say this, they sure do have a lot of different names.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Nita, Yes I know what you mean with the weeds. I have been getting up every morning and before I even have my coffee, I step outside, look around and pull couple little ones before that take hold. I am trying to get rid of Bermuda grass, but so far, not as successfully. I know it will take a few years, by then I will have moved already from this house :-)
that is pretty much what I am pulling out: Bermuda grass or it's cousin. The funny part; our beds are sorta in 3 sections plus one outside the fense. The one outside I understand as it isn't really raised and doesn't even have that much top soil, but the inside 3 sections were started at the same time 3 years ago. One gets almost no weeds, section two; a few but easy to control, section 3 OMG I want to scream. Yes, I think my best bet is to get up and out for about 10 minutes before coffee every morning cause now the weather is heating up and it is hard to work past early morn.

Nita

Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,490,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
I would like to announce I have FOUR whole asparagus! ;-D They are about half the thickness of a pencil, maybe 4 inches tall, and very cute. Amazing what we can get excited about, eh?! LOL Now if only a mole or something won't help himself to them...

The lettuces are doing well in the rainy and barely off and on spring weather we've been having. The bell peppers look pretty good, the tomatoes have grown a bit and have blossoms. Pretty much all the melon plants are dead or have been eaten by critters. Our weather just isn't cut out for melons, likely won't try them again. The spaghetti squash is actually growing though I will be very surprised if they make it. New 3-in-1 apple tree, asian pear tree and pear tree are growing. Just bought a fig tree this weekend, all fruit trees 50% off at the nursery. Time to dig another hole...

I of course know how you feel, I've plucked and froze that first green bean and practically thinking about getting it bronzed. OK, that might be going overboard, but hey, I haven't helped birthed anything in ages, so I'm giddy over the birth of my first veggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Thanks TRosa

You know... a balcony can grow sugar snap peas as well. Does it get plenty of sun?

You can grow peas in containers with simple trellis.

Your welcome. I get enough sun, but as it is, to avoid being in violation of some fire or tanant code, I think I'll have to limit my veggies to what I have at present. It's bad enough I didn't know a cantaloupe seed would actually sprout into a live growing vine to eventually hold fruit. The cantaloupe vine, I think, will be dead soon though, so not worrying about it taking over the balcony just yet.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,306,826 times
Hee! I know what you mean about getting those first fruits of your labor. We just ate our first three Hansel eggplants this week, and will have more to harvest this weekend. We have Hansel & Gretel in a pot, and they're doing quite well.

Our 7 tomato plants (Early Girl) have loads of fruit and blooms, and I'm seeing the first signs of ripening on a couple. The cucumbers are still itty bitty, but growing.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 AM

200 posts, read 510,263 times
Just curious to know if anyone else on the forum has tried using permeable grow bags for potatoes etc. I bought four grow bags as an experiment this year, and so far, the plantings of white potatoes and sweet potatoes are thriving in the compost/soil mixture. The only caveat seems to be ensuring that there is adequate moisture, as the bags probably have a tendency to dry out faster under intense sun than in standard garden conditions.

The upside of the grow bags is that they can be placed anywhere convenient (ours are 15 feet from the kitchen door) and don't require a lot of work for preparation and maintenance. One report cited that there was a yield of 13 pounds of potatoes from one grow bag. There are various sizes of the grow bags for different vegetables. Reportedly, with proper care, they can be used for several seasons. I've also planted sweet potatoes in raised beds, so that may be an interesting comparison to report on later.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 AM

983 posts, read 2,549,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes2 View Post
Just curious to know if anyone else on the forum has tried using permeable grow bags for potatoes etc. I bought four grow bags as an experiment this year, and so far, the plantings of white potatoes and sweet potatoes are thriving in the compost/soil mixture. The only caveat seems to be ensuring that there is adequate moisture, as the bags probably have a tendency to dry out faster under intense sun than in standard garden conditions.

The upside of the grow bags is that they can be placed anywhere convenient (ours are 15 feet from the kitchen door) and don't require a lot of work for preparation and maintenance. One report cited that there was a yield of 13 pounds of potatoes from one grow bag. There are various sizes of the grow bags for different vegetables. Reportedly, with proper care, they can be used for several seasons. I've also planted sweet potatoes in raised beds, so that may be an interesting comparison to report on later.
I didn't hear about these bags before but would like to give them a shot. I love sweet potatos and would like to try growing them. Where did you buy them?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,490,781 times
Quote:
I didn't hear about these bags before but would like to give them a shot. I love sweet potatos and would like to try growing them. Where did you buy them?
Being that container gardening is what I'm into, I've come across these and other methods of gardening. You can find them just about any online gardening store, but for sure on amazon, ebay, etc. I prefer my buckets cost wise.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM

983 posts, read 2,549,733 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Being that container gardening is what I'm into, I've come across these and other methods of gardening. You can find them just about any online gardening store, but for sure on amazon, ebay, etc. I prefer my buckets cost wise.
I did google them after I posted my question and found a few. Thanks for getting back to me.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:23 AM

672 posts, read 2,118,578 times
Quote:
Thank you TRose for the link.

Everyone, if you have any ideas on how to attract Bees, please chime in
I just heard on Making It Grow, a local PBS show here in SC that if you want to attract pollinators, plant boneset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden