Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

ok, so I put the watermelon rinds around the cukes and squah this morning, but I do have to ask: why can't I just leave them there instead of only for a few hours in the morning and if I do have to bring them in after a few hours, can I use the same rind over again? If not, this could get to be pretty expensive...new rinds every day....

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, so I put the watermelon rinds around the cukes and squah this morning, but I do have to ask: why can't I just leave them there instead of only for a few hours in the morning and if I do have to bring them in after a few hours, can I use the same rind over again? If not, this could get to be pretty expensive...new rinds every day....

Nita
Eat just a little watermelon and use only the rind from what you eat. The rind will go bad and need to be composted the next day. Only takes a small piece. The fragrance will carry in the air from a small piece.

Need to get some new tomato seed and get ready for a fall crop. What damage the bugs didn't inflict the heavy rains are now.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Eat just a little watermelon and use only the rind from what you eat. The rind will go bad and need to be composted the next day. Only takes a small piece. The fragrance will carry in the air from a small piece.

Need to get some new tomato seed and get ready for a fall crop. What damage the bugs didn't inflict the heavy rains are now.
ok, so I followed your advise and picked up the rinds I put out this morning. Whether it is coincidental or not, there were 3 or 4 bees buzzing all over the place. I also picked about 4 more squash; it sounds like the bees were there before the watermelon but regardless I intend on doing the rind a few more times. Our biggest problem, we really don't like watermelon. That is why I said it could get pretty pricey. I did save this mornings rinds and will try them again.

Nita

Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
come to AR or even SWMo, we would love to have you and they are great placs for gardens, just not as early as you have in Florida. I bet if you research the green house idea, you will be able to enjoy your gradening almost 12 months out of the year. Keep us posted.

Nita
SE MO would be proud to have he and Iris, too.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
My spinach is bolting so the lettuce should be right behind. I need to do something with the spinach since I can't eat it all. Tomorrow I am going to make spinach tortillas and freeze them. Any other ideas? I have a tiny freezer
You can make spinace pesto and freeze it. It takes a lot of spinach to make a little bit of pesto so it won't take up much room in your freezer.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
^^^Good idea.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have general failure to thrive in my garden.
The tomato plants are kind of stunted and one tomato rotted on the vine. I strongly feel that the plants I bought brought some kind of diseases with them. The plants I started from seed are looking OK, but are way behind. I just got my first two tomatoes yesterday, which were cosmetically challenged, but otherwise OK. The leaf lettuce was great.
Cucumbers have been abundant and delicious, I have lots of cantaloupe vine, but only one melon. Lots of yellow squash, but even when picked small, they are tough. A few beans, but not enough to matter. the pepper plants are still small.
I guess next year I will pay less attention to the Square Foot Gardener, and use more soil enhancements and fertilizer.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have general failure to thrive in my garden.
The tomato plants are kind of stunted and one tomato rotted on the vine. I strongly feel that the plants I bought brought some kind of diseases with them. The plants I started from seed are looking OK, but are way behind. I just got my first two tomatoes yesterday, which were cosmetically challenged, but otherwise OK. The leaf lettuce was great.
Cucumbers have been abundant and delicious, I have lots of cantaloupe vine, but only one melon. Lots of yellow squash, but even when picked small, they are tough. A few beans, but not enough to matter. the pepper plants are still small.
I guess next year I will pay less attention to the Square Foot Gardener, and use more soil enhancements and fertilizer.
wow, I am just lucky this year I think. After my disaster with some of the tomatoes that got eaten by the worms, I have had good luck. Of course not everything is doing really well, but I am not complaining and it sounds like you are not in bad shape. Most of us just get impatiant and want everything yesterday. I am not picking enough beans almost daily for a meal, the squash is coming along. Yes, I have lost a lot as well. The bees just took to long to appear but seem to be doing their job now. I have only picked a few grape tomatoes so far, but have zillions about ready and my reg tomatoes are coming along nicely. The only problem, some of those the worms ate did survive but I don't have a clue what kind they are, so don't know what to expect.

I guess my only disappointment might be the cukes. I tried the container method, they have blooms but nothing else. The peppers love their home in the containers. Oh, another little set back has been the herbs. They did so well for awhile but are just not doing well anymore. My basil got drowned in all the rain we had last week, it is about gone, I don't know what happened to the cilarntro, but I did buy a new plant, my mint is doing the best, but what in the heck can you do with huge amounts of mint. The Rosemary and thai basil are so so and the dill, right now is fine, but I don't expect it to last much longer.

Nita

Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM

492 posts, read 630,654 times
My cilarntro died right away. Not sure what I did to it. This is the first year I have tried to grow it. We had way too much lettuce, but really enjoyed it. The neighbors did too.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:54 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
I'm craving wilted spring lettuce..... Never had heard of it until moving to MO in the 70's. By now I'd be eating fried green tomatoes in MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden