Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This is the best year I have ever had for tomatoes out here, so I am just grateful to have an abundance, you know?
As far as your brown leaves, are they happening on the bottom of the vines, or at the top?
Are the edges of the leaves turning brown first, or are they just going all at once?
It appears they are going all at once: I just checked, it is one plant only and mostly on top. It almost looks like it got burned or something. As I said the tomatloes seem to be doing fine. I guess that is the important thing, Picking a few grape tomatoes daily is wonderful; when they all get wipe at once in about a week, two or three God only knows what I will do with them; bridge clubs here I come, ready or not and here come my tomoatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It appears they are going all at once: I just checked, it is one plant only and mostly on top. It almost looks like it got burned or something. As I said the tomatloes seem to be doing fine. I guess that is the important thing, Picking a few grape tomatoes daily is wonderful; when they all get wipe at once in about a week, two or three God only knows what I will do with them; bridge clubs here I come, ready or not and here come my tomoatoes.
Hmmmmm, too little water and too much sun, maybe?
A couple of my plants were doing that before the rains started.
Just had a thought, maybe we sould start a tomato thread in the recipe forum, I am swimming in grape and pear tomatoes right now, sure dont want them to go to waste!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,765,878 times
When we had the large garden, I made ketchup, tomato sauce and salsa. put it in glass jars and pressure canned it. It's best made with a thick meated tomato like Roma. Tomatoes are either feast or famine, bushels or one.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:58 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Iris View Post
When we had the large garden, I made ketchup, tomato sauce and salsa. put it in glass jars and pressure canned it. It's best made with a thick meated tomato like Roma. Tomatoes are either feast or famine, bushels or one.
I've been seeding and freezing my Marzanos for awhile to put up a big batch of sauce as soon as I get enough......never thought of making ketchup.
You wouldnt possibly have a good recipe, would you?
My grandmothers was just too watery.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
geeze, have a few tomatoes will you? We are getting grape tomatoes and small romas daily but our slicing tomatoes just are not getting ripe yet. My mouth is watering as I watch them grow. One of them is an hairloom that survived the worm investation.

Now, for you, master gardeners or want a bes, I have a problem and no idea what it is causing it: As I said, my cherry, plus and grape guys are doing fine, but the leaves on many of them have turned brown and dried up. I think they are getting enough water, I just don't have a clue what is causing this? All the years I have been growing tomatoes I have never seen my leaves turn. I have had bugs, worms, etc but not brown leaves everywhere and only on the area with a few tomatoes. The other side is fine.
Research fire blight and other tomato blights. I know there are several and I think bacteria caused.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
I've been seeding and freezing my Marzanos for awhile to put up a big batch of sauce as soon as I get enough......never thought of making ketchup.
You wouldnt possibly have a good recipe, would you?
My grandmothers was just too watery.
We used to have a recipe for Ancho Ketchup. Might can find it. I don't think the website I got it from still is operational but will look.

Site is gone and the recipe with it. This looks good for plum type tomatoes. Ancho peppers are dried Poblanos.
http://homecooking.about.com/od/cond.../r/blcon15.htm

I'd make my on fresh paste from San Marzano tomatoes. Now I now how to recycle ketchup bottles.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,765,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We used to have a recipe for Ancho Ketchup. Might can find it. I don't think the website I got it from still is operational but will look.

Site is gone and the recipe with it. This looks good for plum type tomatoes. Ancho peppers are dried Poblanos.
Ancho Chile Ketchup Recipe

I'd make my on fresh paste from San Marzano tomatoes. Now I now how to recycle ketchup bottles.
His site may be gone but my hand written source is still available.lol I will research my "site" and get back to you. It will be a few days because I'm not close the to site but soon.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm, too little water and too much sun, maybe?
A couple of my plants were doing that before the rains started.
Just had a thought, maybe we sould start a tomato thread in the recipe forum, I am swimming in grape and pear tomatoes right now, sure dont want them to go to waste!
yep, I think it is a water/heat problem because if it were a buggy boo more plants would be suffering. Your drought has hit us, we water every 3rd day, but I am sure some spots are missed. As long as I get my tomatoes I will be happy...

As for your tomatoes, I am sure you will put them to good use, like tomato sause. I love making my own, I can add the spices or herbs I want, and they don't even have to be pressured canned, a hot water bath works fine. The only negative is the color. I have no idea who the commercial producers get their sauses so red...

Nita

Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
yep, I think it is a water/heat problem because if it were a buggy boo more plants would be suffering. Your drought has hit us, we water every 3rd day, but I am sure some spots are missed. As long as I get my tomatoes I will be happy...

As for your tomatoes, I am sure you will put them to good use, like tomato sause. I love making my own, I can add the spices or herbs I want, and they don't even have to be pressured canned, a hot water bath works fine. The only negative is the color. I have no idea who the commercial producers get their sauses so red...

Nita
Do you use iodized salt to make the sauce? Maybe that affects the color the same way it does for pickles.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM

242 posts, read 465,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I have squash. And squash and squash and squash! Tomatoes are coming along, just still green. Cukes are deformed and look like the letter J. Lots of lettuce and peppers and a slew of green beans........BUT......

WHAT are these black hopping bugs on my eggplant??? I noticed the leaves were looking chewed today and sprayed really well with neem oil - and put out watermelon rind because I have so many cuke blossoms that aren't getting fertilized, and tomatillos that are lovely but refuse to set fruit....and tonight I looked at the eggplant and they were covered with these small black shelled round bugs that hopped or jumped, almost like fleas (but I surely know what a flea looks like!).

I sprayed with something more potent but I'm sorta wondering how to attract bees but not kill them with insecticide! Clearly the neem oil wasn't quite the answer???

Before I put in my garden and the entire yard was just red clay, not even weeds, I broadcasted clover seed at the corners of where my garden would eventually be, a good deal of clover seed at that. The clover attracts the bees, so, as the bees are grazing the clover they also service my garden as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden