Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 03:13 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

And yet another hail storm. Good thing there's a farmers market this summer, I may have to just buy everything there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 06:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
And yet another hail storm. Good thing there's a farmers market this summer, I may have to just buy everything there!
I think you have the right idea: Farmers markets can be fun as well as offer so many great, fresh produce. I do have to say, yesterday, we had a clear day and I visited my garden again. the water has drained and or soaked into the soil and the litle cuke leaves are all happy again. I think I paniced to quickly. Maybe there still is hope. I do know if the garden makes it this year it will be a much later date for first picking. except for a few tiny peppers nothing is doing much except growing. We have no signs of beans, just a lot of leaves, and the tomatoes are slowly getting blossoms, but I do not expect a single one for at least another 5 or 6 weeks. There was a bee near the garden yesterday, that is a positve. I just hope he/she comes back when we have some blossoms.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:34 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
For some unknown reason, the yellow wax beans (last year's seed!) planted in a regular pot are growing tall, where another variety of bean in an Earthbox isn't doing well. They're puny, and the smallest one died.

I thought Earthboxes were supposed to be great. There is a pepper plant in with the beans. Could that be why?

Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
I have woken up to find frost on my newly planted veges. What can I do to minimise the damage??

Old 05-29-2015, 05:57 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napierkiwi View Post
I have woken up to find frost on my newly planted veges. What can I do to minimise the damage??
I'm not sure now. If you catch it before daylight sometimes a washing with a light mist of water will help but not always. I think what makes the biggest difference is the hardiness of the plant itself.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:08 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Want to share this interesting and novel idea: Hanging Lettuce basket (or whatever else you want to put in there - e.g. cherry tomatoes for color! ). It's pretty and decorative.

How to Grow a Wire and Moss Lettuce Hanging Basket

This is a site in the Northwest, but the idea should work anywhere if you adapt it to your region. Great for anyone who doesn't have a garden space, or even for those who do! These leaves could be close at hand for the picking on a porch or back steps.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
s b, I'm too paranoid to do that. Is spagnum moss food-safe? :blush

Well we are getting all the rain that we did not get last month. And the cool temps, too! This is good for my cool season veggies that are still in le potager. I've eaten snow peas! Wow those things were a CHORE to take care of. They are finally clinging to the supports, as well. The chard is looking good, but the beets are still tiny. The broccoli is just leaves. Maybe it will grow some heads this week with the cool temps.

The various squash I planted is just poking its head out of the ground, and sadly some is being bitten by...slugs maybe? The kohlrabi still does not have fat stalks, and is pretty small. Time to drop a little osmocote on these things. Lettuce is lovely as usual.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:00 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Wow, 3 days of upper 80's! It was 93 yesterday bright sunshine. Garden - BOOM! Looks like it tripled in size overnight. YAY!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wow, 3 days of upper 80's! It was 93 yesterday bright sunshine. Garden - BOOM! Looks like it tripled in size overnight. YAY!
Well, after reading this, I decided, now that our rain has stopped and our temps are climbing into the upper 80s to check. I almost did cart wheels, I have 5 little tomatoes. if that is all we get they would have to be gold considering how much it costs to set the garden up this year. But we have so many baby peppers, tomato blossoms and the starting of our green beans we should do great. And no, I am not going to do cart wheels, at my age I can't even get my arms on the ground and I don't remember which goes first,my arms on the ground or my feet in the air.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:50 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well, after reading this, I decided, now that our rain has stopped and our temps are climbing into the upper 80s to check. I almost did cart wheels, I have 5 little tomatoes. if that is all we get they would have to be gold considering how much it costs to set the garden up this year. But we have so many baby peppers, tomato blossoms and the starting of our green beans we should do great. And no, I am not going to do cart wheels, at my age I can't even get my arms on the ground and I don't remember which goes first,my arms on the ground or my feet in the air.
Ha ha ha. Hey Betsy Johnson just did a cartweel, so that's no excuse... Betsey Johnson does the splits on stage at CFDA Fashion Awards | Daily Mail Online

Still drizzling here. Just getting lettuce. This is my first year trying broccoli, and boy am I glad that pack of seeds is empty. I thinned them out, but the stalks are still really tiny and not a head in sight. I'd better read my gardening book...what am I doing wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden