Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 05:19 AM

83,509 posts, read 75,269,804 times

Advertisements

My neighbors yard is all weeds but I have to admit, in the Spring it's awesome! lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 07:41 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,399,160 times
Heyyyy....we didn't give permission to photograph our yard!

Old 05-12-2020, 10:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
The garden survived the late cold weather threat and is doing well but am afraid everything is going to drawn if it doesn't stop raining. Checking the weather, after the weekend things should start to improve but until then rain and storms every day. At least today is our last really cold day: high today around 50, but by the end of the week it should be in the 70s and even 80 next week. My granddaughter brought 6 more tomato plants thinking I would lose some of mine a few days ago: I didn't and now I have to plant them somewhere. If all my plants produce even a little I will be giving tomato plants to the entire city..

Old 05-12-2020, 11:10 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,966 times
Indoor Vegetable Garden Progress as of 5/12/2020

Getting so close! Another week or so until plant time!!! No more freezes on the horizon after tomorrow night!

Old 05-13-2020, 09:47 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I have some darling little yellow squash on the vines, but alas, blossom end rot already. I’ll be putting on some lime and calcium and hope it turns around.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:26 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
Tip for Home Depot Delivery: I ordered 8 bags of potting mix and delivery charge was $35, lowering it to 6 bags and delivery is $9. Dividing my order into 2 deliveries 4 and 4 bags delivery is $18 not $35. Their algorithm for delivery charges is off and I doubt it is by weight because these bags are not heavy.

My garden this year is 1/2 grow bags and 1/2 in-ground where the soil is heavy clay. Collards, kale and other greens are doing fine in the clay but I can see a big difference in growth rate between garden clay and grow bags for tomatoes and green beans, grow bags much better for those.

Wish I could go buy wood to make planter boxes but having a partner with pre-existing lung condition makes that impossible. If I ordered wood delivered they'd pick the top wood in the bin which is always crooked and knotty. There's a saying "He's as crooked as a 2x4 from Home Depot" or Lowes or name your own lumber yard. Sometimes I have to pull 8 boards off before finding a straight one, contractors get there earlier than I do lol.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 1,720 times
Talking New in this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Since the veggie threads get buried quickly in the garden forum thought I would see if we can keep this thread active. Asked if we could have a sub forum but I was told there wasn't enough interest yet in veggie gardening to do it. Maybe we can get a nice mod to make this a sticky until it grows perhaps????

I have started saving rinsed out egg shells to crumble around our tomato plants anybody else do this?

Sono nuovo in questo mondo e sono affascinato dalla vostra conoscenza, sono italiano e non parlo bene in inglese, volevo sapere se qualcuno mi puo aiutare nel spiegarmi come si puo coltivare a casa non avendo un giardino a disposizione. ( ho un balcone)

I am new in this world and I am fascinated by your knowledge, I am Italian and I do not speak well in English, I wanted to know if someone can help me in explaining how you can grow at home not having a garden available. (I have a balcony)

Old 05-18-2020, 05:59 AM

4 posts, read 1,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Indoor Vegetable Garden Progress as of 5/12/2020

Getting so close! Another week or so until plant time!!! No more freezes on the horizon after tomorrow night!
Sono nuovo in questo mondo e sono affascinato dalla vostra conoscenza, sono italiano e non parlo bene in inglese, volevo sapere se qualcuno mi puo aiutare nel spiegarmi come si puo coltivare a casa non avendo un giardino a disposizione. ( ho un balcone)

I am new in this world and I am fascinated by your knowledge, I am Italian and I do not speak well in English, I wanted to know if someone can help me in explaining how you can grow at home not having a garden available. (I have a balcony)

Old 05-18-2020, 06:29 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,357,219 times
"I wanted to know if someone can help me in explaining how you can grow at home not having a garden available. (I have a balcony".....

The first thing to do is determine how many hours per day your balcony receives full sun. Once that is determined, assemble some pots, plant varieties in a potting medium that will thrive given your sunshine availability. Some plants require "full sun", 6 or more hours of sun daily. Some require partial sun, some require shade. Provide adequate water, again, based on the needs of the plant, but usually daily.

Balcony Vegetable Gardening.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-18-2020, 01:05 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoItaly View Post

Sei fortunato. Parlo un po 'di italiano. Che cosa vorresti sapere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden