Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times

Advertisements

My suggestions for balcony growing:
-use plastic pots with potting MIX (not soil) to keep weight lower.
-grow smaller types of veggies, cherry tomatoes not beefsteak size for example.
-if you can put up a small trellis you can use vertical space and grow cucumbers and other vining veggies

I am growing a Franchi (Italian seed seller) cherry tomato called Black Cherry. What is special about this cherry tomato is it grows in small bush form (determinate) not vining (indeterminate). Very good plants, vigorous seedlings and fast growing fruits.

If you don't have a lot of sun then grow spinach and lettuce. Sorrel also does not need full sun.
If you have enough sun grow basil. Franchi has Napoletano basil which is great for pesto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 05:24 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Sei fortunato. Parlo un po 'di italiano. Che cosa vorresti sapere?
Whoa, you're Italian? My parents were born there. Came here in the 1960s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoItaly View Post
Sono nuovo in questo mondo e sono affascinato dalla vostra conoscenza, sono italiano e non parlo bene in inglese, volevo sapere se qualcuno mi puo aiutare nel spiegarmi come si puo coltivare a casa non avendo un giardino a disposizione. ( ho un balcone)

I am new in this world and I am fascinated by your knowledge, I am Italian and I do not speak well in English, I wanted to know if someone can help me in explaining how you can grow at home not having a garden available. (I have a balcony)
I don't know how to type in Italian but hopefully you understand how to read English.

Just get some pots and fill them with Potting Mix. Get determinate type tomatoes that wont grow too high.
My mom found a tomato plant CUORE DI BUE from Italy. It needs the ground though but what a cool looking tomato forms in the shape of a heart.

Anyway - What did you want to grow??

Old 05-18-2020, 05:58 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
My neighbors yard is all weeds but I have to admit, in the Spring it's awesome! lol

The purple stuff is Bugle Weed. It comes in several colors and sizes. A terrific ground cover and early food for bees and butterflies. Trim the blooms when they are spent. Grows by runners. Not inexpensive.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I am so excited. Our tomato plants are so small we have even staked them up yet. we will today or tomorrow but I already have about a dozen tomatoes. Happy gardener here.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:53 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Whoa, you're Italian? My parents were born there. Came here in the 1960s.

I don't know how to type in Italian but hopefully you understand how to read English.

Just get some pots and fill them with Potting Mix. Get determinate type tomatoes that wont grow too high.
My mom found a tomato plant CUORE DI BUE from Italy. It needs the ground though but what a cool looking tomato forms in the shape of a heart.

Anyway - What did you want to grow??

Si signore. My parents were born in Pittsburgh but my grandfather was born in Sicily and grandmother was born in Abruzzo.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:54 PM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am so excited. Our tomato plants are so small we have even staked them up yet. we will today or tomorrow but I already have about a dozen tomatoes. Happy gardener here.
Cool. No tomatoes here, but several yellow squash and a green pepper are almost ready to pick.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:13 PM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Harvested two nice little yellow squash for dinner. Yippee.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:29 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
The purple stuff is Bugle Weed. It comes in several colors and sizes. A terrific ground cover and early food for bees and butterflies. Trim the blooms when they are spent. Grows by runners. Not inexpensive.
AKA Ajuga. A high school friend's grandmother gave me one flat of her own. That was long ago. Now it's all over my front and back yards, and it's soooo pretty.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Cool. No tomatoes here, but several yellow squash and a green pepper are almost ready to pick.
I have given up on growing squash. We get lots of awesome squash and before they have even gottin 2 incle long the squash bugs attack them. I have tried everything so just decided to call it quits.

I still haven't staked the tomatoes but as about to go out right now and do it. Every day for weeks we have had some rain making staking tomatoes a bit hard.

Along with the rain has come a pause in the outside house painting and we have paid the painter already. He was about to finish a couple of days ago: Mother nature changed his mind. Let's hope he finishes today as the next 7 days we are expecting rain. As long as we have any he can not paint the outside. Mostly it is just the trim that still needs painting.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:49 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoItaly View Post
Sono nuovo in questo mondo …..)

Allora, Lei e' un Italiano... o un alieno dal spazio? ….Benvento al nostro foro in entrambi i casi.

Per un balcone, forse prova erbs e spezie come coriandolo, basilico, ecc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden