Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 08:13 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have given up on growing squash. We get lots of awesome squash and before they have even gottin 2 incle long the squash bugs attack them. I have tried everything so just decided to call it quits.

I still haven't staked the tomatoes but as about to go out right now and do it. Every day for weeks we have had some rain making staking tomatoes a bit hard.

Along with the rain has come a pause in the outside house painting and we have paid the painter already. He was about to finish a couple of days ago: Mother nature changed his mind. Let's hope he finishes today as the next 7 days we are expecting rain. As long as we have any he can not paint the outside. Mostly it is just the trim that still needs painting.
I received a tip about this in master gardener class. It referred to southern gardening, in zone 8, so I don’t know how early you can plant where you live.

Here, we can plant squash so early (end of Feb), that by the time the squash bugs get far enough along in their lifecycle to harm the squash, you are glad, because you’ve already gotten more squash than you can use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 11:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I received a tip about this in master gardener class. It referred to southern gardening, in zone 8, so I don’t know how early you can plant where you live.

Here, we can plant squash so early (end of Feb), that by the time the squash bugs get far enough along in their lifecycle to harm the squash, you are glad, because you’ve already gotten more squash than you can use.
I had to smile at that one because when we lived in NM, our squash did awesome until the squash bugs started attacking them in about August. By then the neighbors would hide from me so they would not have to take anymore of our squash. I can't imagine all the ways I found to fix it. So, by the time those ugly little creatures started to attack, along with our friends and neighbors we were thrilled.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:55 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Expanded our garden on the north hills slope-

Went a different way instead of using 6x6's for a raised bed. Also my neighbor has a MOUNTAIN of old seasoned chicken and horse manure- most a decade old ore more. I hauled 9 bucket loads of that and mixed it with top soil. This year the new section will be tomatoes and sweet corn.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 AM

Geeze makes my little container garden look pretty sad but at least everything I have planted is coming up and looks super healthy. The first couple of tomato and basil plants started from seed did nothing but since then everything is beautiful.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:04 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Worried for my garden this weekend... Gah 30's should be done by this time of year, even here! Will probably have to cover everything.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Geeze makes my little container garden look pretty sad but at least everything I have planted is coming up and looks super healthy. The first couple of tomato and basil plants started from seed did nothing but since then everything is beautiful.
We still have a majority of our plants in momma's hot house. We're just getting out of last frost.

Last edited by Threerun; 05-28-2020 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We still have a majority of our plants in momma's hot house. We're just getting out of last frost.

Well they look like they are doing pretty well regardless of where they are.. I think our cold weather is finally behind us, only a month late. Usually we are safe to enjoy the outside by the first part of May,not the first part of June. At least we haven't had to use our a/c or water our garden yet.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 PM

Needed a little extra room this year so my son banged together a quick 'addition' to the new section

I went to my neighbors and filled 4 buckets of 10-20 tear aged horse and chicken manure / top soil into it.

Some tomatoes and onions are going in. And some radishes here and there.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:11 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I think im done with veggie growing after this season . Im too tired of putting my heart in it and getting very little return . It is just too much work with too little return . I will stick with flowers and my roses .

Old 06-05-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think im done with veggie growing after this season . Im too tired of putting my heart in it and getting very little return . It is just too much work with too little return . I will stick with flowers and my roses .
I thought that last year but decided to give it another shot this year. No it isn't a huge garden and no, I don't expect to plant so much that I will be giving it away but it still is a fun project.

Now, I have a huge gripe and I am an animal lover. I went out to the garden yesterday to pick the first 1/2 dozen cherry tomatoes and guess the rabbits didn't believe me when I told them, last year, the tomatoes were not for them. All the little guys were gone, clear down to the leaves. I know they are the guilty ones. I bet they were babies that didn't even ask their mom if they could raid the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden