Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:30 PM

395 posts, read 1,286,560 times

Advertisements

I am planning for my first raised veggie garden this spring and since i have a small backyard, I need to fit in as many veggies together as possible. Please can you hep me with a few questions?

1. Since I am going to spacing tomatoes atleast 12 to 15 inches apart, can I plant carrots in the gap since they require only 3 inch spacing?

2. I am also planning to transplant Okra and egg plants (in different beds)...any suggestions as to what I can plant in between the spaces?

3. I aso need spinach...can I plant them in between Okra or egg plants? if ye, how should I space them?

Thanks for your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM

556 posts, read 788,064 times
This site might give you some insight into companion planting.

Better together: Companion Planting - Wellsphere

Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Yes you can plant the carrots between the tomatoes. Just make sure you have enough depth for their long tap root.

Okra likes a drier soil than eggplant and spinach. You can certainly plant the eggplant and spinach together though. Just make sure the spinach is on the north side. The eggplants will shade the spinach through the summer.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Yes you can plant the carrots between the tomatoes. Just make sure you have enough depth for their long tap root.

Okra likes a drier soil than eggplant and spinach. You can certainly plant the eggplant and spinach together though. Just make sure the spinach is on the north side. The eggplants will shade the spinach through the summer.
Thanks paperhouse...do i have to worry too much about the spacing now? I mean I am going to space my tomatoes at least 15 inches apart...I should be abe to plant carrots in between the tomatoes right?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:49 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Carrot seeds are very small so you may want to look at seed tapes. They have seeds evenly spaced along the length. Gurney's has them by mail order.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:01 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
If you are planting large varieties of tomatoes I would plant them further than 12" apart as tomato plants can get pretty big.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Thanks paperhouse...do i have to worry too much about the spacing now? I mean I am going to space my tomatoes at least 15 inches apart...I should be abe to plant carrots in between the tomatoes right?
As another mentioned, I hope these are determinate or dwarf varieties. Tomatoes don't like to be crowded and lots of diseases can spread if the leaves are wet and they touch. I would recommend no less than 24" apart for indeterminate varieties. Carrots should be about 3" apart and can be planted between the tomatoes just fine. Be sure to put out a fertilizer a week or so after you transplant that has a high Phosphorous content. Stay low on the nitrogen side or you'll get huge plants with no fruit or roots.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
As another mentioned, I hope these are determinate or dwarf varieties. Tomatoes don't like to be crowded and lots of diseases can spread if the leaves are wet and they touch. I would recommend no less than 24" apart for indeterminate varieties. Carrots should be about 3" apart and can be planted between the tomatoes just fine. Be sure to put out a fertilizer a week or so after you transplant that has a high Phosphorous content. Stay low on the nitrogen side or you'll get huge plants with no fruit or roots.

Thanks for the advise paperhouse, I will plant the tomatoes with atleast 24'' spacing. I will stick with the same spacing for Okra and eggplants as well as I am planning to combine eggplants and spinach.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Thanks for the advise paperhouse, I will plant the tomatoes with atleast 24'' spacing. I will stick with the same spacing for Okra and eggplants as well as I am planning to combine eggplants and spinach.
Eggplants can handle about 12" apart with 8-12" between okra plants. The spinach can be almost touching. Just keep them well watered.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 PM

35 posts, read 165,334 times
5 gallon buckets make excellent planters for tomato plants if you want to use your beds for something else. But yeah 24 inches is best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden