Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 AM

532 posts, read 2,844,716 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I read that Crape Myrles bloom on new growth and that the berries (not sure of the technical term) should be pruned, but my Crapes are 20'+ tall and the berries are at the ends of feathery branches at the top.

I've noticed a few in the neighborhood have committed Crape Murder but I'm wondering what happens if I just leave them alone? Will they not bloom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
They will bloom, but very sparsely. I too have a large Crepe Myrtle I really need to cut back but from my understanding, you have to cut them just after they bloom and before a frost (fall) so I have missed it again for another year. I might just go for it this spring and see what happens as it is now taller than the house and REALLY needs to be cut back. Anyone else here really good with these that can help us both out here?

Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
I prune mine back in March and then fertilize them in April. I have a very large one that I cannot reach and I just leave it alone to do it's own thing. It still blooms every year.

You can prune the blooms back during the summer to produce new blooms, in the fall I leave them alone until early spring. Pruning encourages new growth and in the fall you want them to go dormant.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
this is not a healthy practice. It shortens the life of the bush. The crape myrtle makes a graceful small tree and a lovely addition to the garden if it is not pruned. Of course, if it were planted in a spot where the height is a problem, it can easily be pruned.

Many will bloom quite well if left alone. The bunches of flowers will be smaller, but because the bush is larger, there will be many, many more of them.

The cut ends of the severly pruned bush are an open invitation to disease and insects.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Crape myrtle when left to grow as the moderately sized tree it is will become very nice with attactive bark and blooms on the new growth at the top. They are often heavily pruned making them a multistemed bush so that the blooms are low.

Keep in mind that plants do not require pruning... it is gardeners that use pruning as a tool.

I think large crape myrtles are best used as trees and that a garden in need for smaller plants is best satisfied with dwarf varities rather than heavy pruning.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
If you want a Crepe Myrtle BUSH you can buy a variety that will stay that way. If it is a tree it is to be LEFT A TREE!!! Severly pruning them back is a HUGE NO-NO!!!!! It is called "Crepe MURDER" for a reason. They will bloom if left alone and not chopped back. What happens is the new growth of a murdered Crepe Myrtle only grows small WISPY limbs that blow around in the wind with the HEAVY WEIGHT of the blooms weighing them down Left alone to grow they branches and limbs are strong and can survive the weight of the blooms on them. As someone else mentioned pruning them back leaves an open invitiation to disease and bug infestations.

Any gardener worth their weight knows to NEVER PRUNE A CREPE MYRTLE back.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:17 PM

6,799 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Crepe Myrtle's should only be lightly pruned to keep a natural shape. You should never cut any branches thicker than a normal pencil.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:49 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,318,662 times
We just moved from Va to SW IL-zone 6a. We loved our Crepe Myrtle's and will miss them.Has anyone had good luck growing them in colder climates and do they need winter protection?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:25 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
I'm growing mine as a tree. I planted it about two years ago. Last Spring, I just snipped off the ends of the branches to encourage growth (no more than an inch from the tip) and it worked really well! It grew and bloomed like crazy. I'll do the same thing soon.

I've noticed my Crape Myrtle buds a lot later than my other trees and bushes. I don't know why that is. But, last year, I was getting worried that it hadn't survived the winter and I snipped off the ends of the branches anyway. Lo and behold, it started to bud shortly after.

Heh, my peach tree is covered with pink flowers already and my magnolia is budding, too. But my Crape Myrtle looks dead. I know it isn't but, still, it looks so sad when everything else is "waking up!"

Old 02-28-2009, 03:18 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,391 times
Lightly pruning back the branch tips is fine for this species..and DOES encourage a heavier burst of flowers...

As for heavy, "murderous" pruning..yeah,..don't do that to such a great tree..The only time harder pruning should be done is to remove dead, diseased, or "crossing" branches which are rubbing against the trunk..or other branches..or to correct over errant development..

The best time to prune is right about now..trimming during the summer or fall will encourage newer growth which can be vulnerable to frost/freeze damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden