U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:54 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,249,533 times

Advertisements

I live in TN, there are several nurseries around, plus the typical Lowe's and Home Depot. However, I want to by A LOT of plants, that can add up fast...really fast. I have bought some bare roots last year on line, Burgess, but some haven't done so well because they are small and only one year plant, not sure, maybe they are fine. I also have really bad soil, need to amend every hole and around it every time I plant. Been working for 3 years now on composting and amending so hoping this year is the year!
So if you happen to buy plants, specifically perennials and trees on line, who do you by from that has both fair prices and good quality plants?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 PM

18,453 posts, read 38,726,411 times
I buy from this place...

Mail Order Natives Home Page

I like to use native plants when possible and the quality can't be beat.

I like this place too...

Nearly Native Nursery - Nursery specializing in growing and selling southeastern native plants for all landscaping needs.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 PM

288 posts, read 812,264 times
I have always had good luck with Jung's Seed in Wisconsin (they have a website). You can also look at what people said in reviews of gardening centers on a website called Dave's Garden.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,831,533 times
Really, it all depends on what you are looking for..

As for myself, Im into Subtropical trees, Palms, Natives, Orchids, So. American and So. African bulbs, Rarer Pines, Plumeria or other, less commonly seen botanical gems..so it can be a little difficult locating
many of these at dirt cheap prices, unless i start with seed..which in some cases, just isn't feasible..

As far as some of the sites i regularly look into..

For Bulbs, Odyssey or Telos rare bulbs is where i look for some of them.. unfortunately,..ive yet to find a US source for some of the rarer so. African species im looking to work with...

Palms: Jungle Music Palms and Cycads and J.D. Andersen have a couple of the best offerings..though prices can be a little high..

For palm seeds, the only site ive really looked at is Rare palm seed.com in Europe which has a huge,and perhaps the best offering..and they recently added several rarer pines to their inventory..There are also offerings for these on some E-Bay sites as well...

Natives: Missouri wildflower nursery seems to have the best selection of praire/eastern natives at reasonable prices..Here in CA. The Theodore Payne Foundation is a staple resource among several to obtain seeds of our natives..

Other sites ive looked into include Top Tropicals, Rare flora, Yucca do..just to name some..

Ive also had good results looking around E-bay sites.. Its how i obtained two Tabebuia Chrysotricha seedlings..at 3 bucks a piece..not bad in my opinion..

Whats kind of sad is that, because im going to be moving in the next several months,..i can"t really buy much..at least not until after im settled in my new place..

Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM

Yeah I have gotten some good deals on ebay too. Reading through the feedback is very important though.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:56 PM

8,062 posts, read 17,245,076 times
Kmart. Really. My plants from Kmart thrive and they cost a FRACTION of what the garden centers charge. Geez, I've got climbing roses I bought at Kmart for $8.99 that grew to about 8 feet tall their first year. I bought them to replace the climbing roses I bought at the garden center for $16.99 -- one of those died and the other is about 2 feet tall but hanging on two years after planting. Bought my crape myrtle and magnolia trees at Kmart, too. I got the magnolia late in the season and it was marked down to $10 even though it was quite big. It needed some love but it didn't look dried out or hopeless so I figured I'd take the chance. Glad I did! It's doing great!

Whichever nursery company Kmart buys from is a real winner. I've told friends about it and they've reported great success with Kmart plants, too.

I buy my seeds and bulbs at the Dollar Tree! They sell 10 packs of seeds for $1 and they grow great! Same with their bulbs!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:57 PM

61,281 posts, read 82,764,676 times
this year i got tired of rose bush deaths. i went to an expensive nursery and paid triple price for some quality rose bushes. they work.
dead plants just make my digging arm stronger every spring, this is a better plan.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM

4,178 posts, read 10,231,315 times
I won't buy roses from anywhere but Jackson and Perkins; their roses are the best when shipped, and spring to life immediately. Now Home Depot sells J & P and I'll buy them there.

I won't buy bulbs or plants from Burgess or Michigan Bulb. They are too small and rarely grow. Ditto with any 'sunday supplement' advertisements for any seed or plant company - their 'flowery' descriptions far exceed the actual plant.

I like Park's Seed in SC for perennial plants but their seed is overpriced. They do love their plants (I have been to the nursery) but like many nurseries, their veggie plants are a secondary income and they don't have much selection.

The problem I have with many Wal Mart and K Mart and other high-production places is that they don't have the plants I want as early as I want them; by the time their stuff hits the shelves it is already, all too often, 'way past the planting time.

This year I ordered from Jungs and Johnny's seed. I usually line up my catalogs on the kitchen table, make a careful list of what I want, and do price and quantity comparisons. Jung showed up in the mix this year because they were the only resource last fall for walking onions; they got the bulk of my veggie and fruit garden purchases as their prices were lower than most for the same things. Throughout the year, though, I'll get email specials on things, and if it is something I want - Guerney's has a 2-for-one tree offer I wait for mid-spring - I'll order it.

The most important thing to me is how I treat the plant when I get it. Most plants in pots are already root-bound, so I'll snatch it out of that pot as soon as I get it home and replant it. Bare-root plants I soak for 10-16 hours - never more than 24! - in a bucket of water with a water-soluble fertilizer like Miracle Gro or Plant Start, then plant as directed and pour the bucketful over them. The root-bound plants I also let sit in a similar mix while I prepare their new pot or garden spot.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

The most important thing to me is how I treat the plant when I get it. Most plants in pots are already root-bound, so I'll snatch it out of that pot as soon as I get it home and replant it. Bare-root plants I soak for 10-16 hours - never more than 24! - in a bucket of water with a water-soluble fertilizer like Miracle Gro or Plant Start, then plant as directed and pour the bucketful over them. The root-bound plants I also let sit in a similar mix while I prepare their new pot or garden spot.
When I buy a shrub or tree that's been growing in a pot I dunk the whole rootball in a big tub of water and wash out all of the potting mix, that way I can see what's going on in there and cut out any circling roots. It's a very important step.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 AM

14,479 posts, read 18,267,553 times
I'll second J & P for roses, very happy to hear that they are available at Home Depot. Michigan bulb is pretty bad, small puny plants. I love Dutch Gardens for my fall bulbsand perennials, but they seem to be getting pricey too. I bookmarked a site called North Carolina Farms that seems to sell at bulk pricing, anybody ever heard of them? They don't have a huge selection, and mostly seems to be annuals, but I'm thinking about trying them out, they have verbena flats $35 for 105 plugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden