Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear opinions about master gardeners from people who have actually been in the group. Did you think it was worthwhile? Were there extra expenses (were you required to attend events, buy certain items)?

I'm retired and I love puttering around in my gardening--but I'm definitely an amateur who'd love to learn more. I'm also on a budget. I see the ads for master gardeners, and it looks like a fun, free thing to do.

But.... my neighbor says I would hate it. She hasn't actually been in the group and may be full of bull. That's why I'm asking for your opinions.

The big worry: are master gardeners "native plant nazis"? Are they going to put me down for planting daffodils, petunias, and roses? I have a huge bed of about 1000 daffodils and 20 knockout ruse bushes, I'm not about to pull them out to make some garden club happy.

I like native plants, and I like the idea of using them. But to be honest, the ones that grow around here look nice for very short periods and then are ugly and scraggly most of the year. A few neighbors have native plant gardens and, well, they don't impress me.

So my garden is half natives and half big showy flowers. I like it this way--but my neighbor tells me not to go to master gardeners because they'll make me feel like a scumbag unless I pull out all my flowers.

Is this true, or just a bunch of paranoia? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:42 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
My 25 year old daughter is going to do the Master Gardener program this Spring. I'm waiting until I retire. Native plant Nazis-you'll probaby get that anywhere. The MG program, at least here, is set up to help newbies garden, not to really do much else. Of course, as theories and practices have changed and evolved, the thrust of the program has changed and evolved. Most gardening "experts" now are pushing native plants because of water issues, climate and the increasing problems with invasive exotics. I'd tell you to go ahead. I don't know about cost (if my daughter is doing it it must not be much because she's notoriously cheap) but you do have to give up time.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:49 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,650 times
Id also second that go ahead..

And yes..you may get grief from the natives only side of the room but most people realize that while natives should be included in more landscapes..people like variety...

Its the exotic invasives which should never be promoted..ive recently seen scotch broom..a VERY invasive plant here offered at some of the local nurseries again..wish i had the power to tell them to destroy all of them..along with 98% of the junipers..yuck..as for the flats of ivy i saw..hopefully someone will forget to water them for awhile..very very bad plant..not enough space here to list all the reasons why..lol

Joining forces with a master gardening program can be very rewarding..and offer up ideas to help the industry continue to evolve in a positive direction..plus..you might have the oppertunity to obtain rare plant specimens or seeds..to experiment with..Thats always a plus...

Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Where you at? DW took the MG course in FL, and audited in AL. From her experience, you learn a lot, have to do hours of community outreach, and have a good experience.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:56 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,145 times
Hi
Oh boy, on master gardeners, I just finished mine in December here in Oregon..11 weeks of class time and 66 hours of pay back time..doing their way.......I enjoyed the classes and the phone desk part of the pay back hours but not fond of doing their demo gardens projects..I had issues over time I spend volunteering in private garden that very much gives back our county..The learning experience is great, it opens door to information you might not know about but the down side is the
pay back hours...
Would I recommend it to someone, with a good heart not really its not for everyone..
I'm glad now its overwith because they can't take it away from you.
just besure you have the time for it..
good luck

Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 322,678 times
I'm in the middle of a MG course in TN - 16 3-hr classes to be followed by 40 hours in community projects as an intern. Certified as MG on completion. Seasoned MG will be mentoring and guiding during my internship. I'm learning soil quirks, tree pruning, managing insects and diseases, lawn management, fruit tree orchard care, roses success, etc. Half the fun is being with common interest folks.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,145 times
Here in oregon we do 66 hours of class room starting in January and 66 hours of payback time, 40 of which is on the phone as questions and helping solve plant problems..I enjoy the phone desk and will be doing more during the spring and summer..The whole program can really keep you busy..
enjoy it..

Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
OK, I've decided to take the plunge and join. So far it seems like a nice group of people. Thanks everyone for your help--I was a little nervous but it seems like a good experience so I'll give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden