Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
In terms of the variety of things which can be grown, not too many places can beat the interior valleys of California. The only things that aren't grown commercially are tropical fruits. Fresno County alone grows almost everything you will find the grocery store and has the highest agricultural production in the country.
There is a Company Called Farmington Fresh in my area that does nothing but fly out of the ground fresh produce and ag products around the world just miles from where they are grown. It is the only Aviation cargo warehouse that can load an entire 747 type cargo plane right from its warehouse door never breaking the chain of cold. Its truly a sight to behold. Then it just backs up, heads right to the runway and off to places all over the world. During some peak seasons they will load multiple cargo planes in a 24 hours period. Yeah Id say the Central Valley and surrounding ag regions of California are the Cornucopia to the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:57 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
There is a Company Called Farmington Fresh in my area that does nothing but fly out of the ground fresh produce and ag products around the world just miles from where they are grown. It is the only Aviation cargo warehouse that can load an entire 747 type cargo plane right from its warehouse door never breaking the chain of cold. Its truly a sight to behold. Then it just backs up, heads right to the runway and off to places all over the world. During some peak seasons they will load multiple cargo planes in a 24 hours period. Yeah Id say the Central Valley and surrounding ag regions of California are the Cornucopia to the world.
There is a company near Sacramento that produces rice and vegetable bowls for export to Japan.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
Many very diverse places have something to recommend them as it pertains to gardening. I wouldn't say that Alaska is a great state to garden in but with our rich valley soil, very long days, adequate rainfall, and lack of insect pests, if one has a good garden area, the vegetables that we do grow either get huge or are very prolific.

I garden in raised organic compost beds and start most seeds in my greenhouse, but after that it's pretty much a matter of putting in the plant starts and letting mother nature do the rest of the work. For tender plants I use my greenhouse or covers.

Sadly, tomatoes grow with effort but aren't the same as those grown in warmth, cukes, peppers, melons, garlic, corn and most fruit trees (except sour cherry and early apples) are a bust, Storage onions, asparagus, and beans are marginal due to soil temps but I've never grown better raspberries, rhubarb, cole crops, mild tasting greens, potatoes, super sweet carrots, zucchini that stays flavorful and tender throughout the season, herbs that are always happy (except basil) and awesome celery.

This year I'm trying artichokes, which my neighbor has been growing for the past few years very successfully as an edible ornamental. Moose are a big problem, (no pun intended) much like deer are in the rest of the country and we are hobbled by a very short gardening season, similar to the rocky mountain states.

I have also gardened in Kansas. The soil is very fertile but the high heat, getting enough water to things and pests are never ending battles. I prefer Alaska gardening to gradening in Kansas.

Not really knowing enough about the growing conditions east of the Mississippi, I'd have to vote for parts of California such as the Napa/Sonoma Valleys, the Willamette Valley in Oregon and western Washington state especially the part that is in the rain shadow of the Olympics.

Interesting thread.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I disagree.

The southern Sacramento Valley is considered the best climate in the country for tomatoes. It has a long growing season, cool nights, warm days and low humidity. And corn loves hot weather. You should see the way it grows in Kings and Tulare counties south of here. However, they don't grow much of it because other crops are grown there which yield higher profits.
Alas!!!! I almost feel sorry for ya, it would ruin your pre-conceived notions to eat one sandwich made from my tomatos.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,047 times
I think the best state to garden in is... the state you are in. There is a certain mind set common to gardeners, the challenges, the willingness to experiment, knowing that no matter how hard they work, plan or putter, ultimately the results are out of their hands. I think of gardening as an act of affirmation, an act of faith.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:48 PM

Let's see now, my garden plot is about 80' by 45'---- My first planting of corn up, standing up about 6" tall, my second planting is in the ground, will have 6 rows when I am finished. I have two rows of tomatos, Celebrity, Better Boy, a few German Johnson, Cherokee Purple, they are all in flower. Yellow squash, Zucchini, and Butternut squash up and preparing to blossom. My red lettuce, romaine lettuce and buttercrunch lettuce are big enough to sustain a harvest for salads and keep producing more. My watermelon (sugar baby) and cantaloupe are above ground and are looking to spread out. My Sunflowers and Okra are up and growing. Cucumbers are planted in with the squash and are happily roaming around, at least as much as vines can run around. My broccoli is forming heads, are now just a bit larger than a soft ball, will probably cut one next week, after you cut the head off, it will produce fleurettes up until the first hard freeze and my brussels sprouts have that tall stem thing starting to stand up. The head cabbage will grow well into fall. Both of my apple trees are bearing fruit, should be ready before fall, my fig tree is starting to show figs and the Plum tree is a serious overachiever (I suspect the other fruit trees call it nasty names when I am not in the yard) My Peach tree flowered beautifully, just before the last frost--Bummer!! I am beginning to suspect that my Peach trees and Cherry trees are for ornamental use only, doesn't take much of a frost to have them drop back to zero. I have volunteer blackberry bushes all around the perimeter of my yard and both sides of the driveway. All in all, I would suspect that N. Carolina is a truly nice place to work a garden.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM

16 posts, read 41,608 times
Ohio and the Western end of Pennsylvania. Not so far north you freeze all winter, and not so far south that you get the humidity and molds, and not so close to the coast that you get the ocean monsoons. The soil has a neutral PH, and it's loamy (not too sandy, and not too hard). You can grow a good variety of fruit trees, and it's easy to find cow manuer for your vegetables.

Most critters there are the larger kind (deer, elk etc) so if you have a double fence (one perellel with the other), it's easy to keep them out.

They have wonderful nurserys there, usually with a master gardener that can help with deeper questions. The extension services are just ho-hum OK. Organic growers do well there money wise, as there isn't too much competition (most organic growers are on the West coast).

Land in PA is much more expensive than OH, so how much money you have will play a large hand in property size.

Hope that helped.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Dusty, I've been around many to places in the tarheel state. Without asking you to divulge too many details, is your garden in the Eastern lowlands, the Piedmont or the Western Mountains and Valleys? NC has quite a bit of variety and I'm curious about which of these regions works good for your garden.

I am envious of your home grown veggies. I live in a little apartment in Southern California. Most of the fresh fruits and veggies I consume are store bought, usually from California or Northern Mexico. They are usually fresh and pretty decent, but don't come anywhere close to the flavor of home grown. After I finish up working in the corporate world in about 3 more years, my aim is to get a humble little place with a decent sized yard and grow some of my own fruits and veggies. Thanks for the inspiration.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,271 times
I am moving to the high desert of Southern CA - husband says to give up - I have not had good luck in the past - I want do a kitchen garden - different lettuce, herbs, tomatoes, cukes, radish and onions - I am going to do a lot of research before I begin - but wish me luck please.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 PM

Well, Central N. Carolina grows a great garden for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden