Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Have you considered replacing the pampass grass with pink muhly grass?

Floridata: Muhlenbergia capillaris
I have seen that in RL and just love it. It's so feathery and colorful. Def a contender. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
yes!! definitely replace the pampas grass..Here in CA., it is extremely invasive and i wouldn't doubt that it may be (more so) there in FL.

Another grass id also remove..and not recommend planting is any of the fountain grasses (Pennisetum) as these are also considered to be invasive..

Great alternatives include: Sea oats, Pink mulhy, Wiregrass, and such Calamagrostis as 'karl forster'(or foster?..can't remember how it's spelled right now) and 'Overdam' both of which i believe are available in your area..

Still, there are others like Little blue stem and Indian grass which are quite handsome..and aren't aggressive..

As for Lantana, L. camara is the 'highly' invasive species..and should never be planted..even if some nurseries are still insistant on stocking and selling it..There is a native species of Lantana in Florida which has been reccommended as a replacement for L. camara..

Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 PM

604 posts, read 4,621,287 times
HIF,

I live in the same area and have azaleas that receive limited sun and coffee grinds on a weekly basis. I have never pruned them in 3 years though. Cant tell by the pic but are they in sun??

I have used many types of grasses and love them. If you could save them I would, but if not maybe try gamma/faxahachee grass. I have a row of faxahachee (sp?) grass growning along the back that stays green thru winter and is native.
Attached Thumbnails
SOS! Azaleas & pampas grass-  Jax, FL- see pix-backyard.jpg   SOS! Azaleas & pampas grass-  Jax, FL- see pix-azaleas.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden