Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 PM

903 posts, read 3,579,178 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a new house and it is on about 2/3 acre-half wood, the other 1/3 completely overrun with poison and not poison ivy. We had a couple of people come to give us estimates on pulling it all-very expensive-but they are saying after it is pulled we will be infested with weeds and it will look worse. I want to clear the ground so my kids can play-any suggestion on what to do with the approx 1/3 acre that is covered. We'd like it to be usable but not sure how-any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-it is a major mess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Is it mostly on the ground? If it is, you could rent one of those brush mowers and cut it all back. Once it is cut back and starts actively growing again you are going to need to spot spray it with Brush-B-Gone. Don't even bother with RoundUp, it's not strong enough.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,661 times
Is it poison oak??..or just plain ivy..

If it is plain ol' ivy,..pulling as much of it as possible, then treating the area with a broad spectrum herbicide are a couple of your best options..Ivy can be a challenge to eradicate as any remaining amount of roots or underground runners will continue to sprout if they are left behind..

If the problem is poison oak/ivy..brush killer would be the safest means of eradication..and it may be necessary to apply it again to kill emerging seedlings which might appear once the area is cleared, or any remaining roots which are not initially killed during the first treatment..

Old 03-14-2009, 09:00 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
I had a similar situation in my yard in Oregon. Ivy with thumb size trunks! The advice about cutting it back is right on. I used Crossbow herbicide afterward but be very careful, super toxic. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 AM

903 posts, read 3,579,178 times
Is there anything to stop the weeds from coming up in its place?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:35 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Is it mostly on the ground? If it is, you could rent one of those brush mowers and cut it all back. Once it is cut back and starts actively growing again you are going to need to spot spray it with Brush-B-Gone. Don't even bother with RoundUp, it's not strong enough.
Don't ever spray Round up on something like that. Round up is a non-selective herbicide. That means it kills everything it is sprayed on. Go to your local farm supply or garden center and ask for a selective herbicide to kill ivy. A selective herbicide is formulated to kill certain plants. You won't get it all to stay gone. It will keep coming up for a while.

Southern you say Round up isn't strong enough to kill this? It can kill a tree so I don't know why it wouldn't kill a vine.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:09 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Don't ever spray Round up on something like that. Round up is a non-selective herbicide. That means it kills everything it is sprayed on. Go to your local farm supply or garden center and ask for a selective herbicide to kill ivy. A selective herbicide is formulated to kill certain plants. You won't get it all to stay gone. It will keep coming up for a while.

Southern you say Round up isn't strong enough to kill this? It can kill a tree so I don't know why it wouldn't kill a vine.
Crossbow is even more lethal. Get good advise, do you have an extension office you can check with? They are usually a good source because they are familiar with zones, regs and such. You might have to have a dead zone for a season then start over with your ground cover. By the way, ivy pulling is great exercise for the entire family.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,121 times
Oh yea! I had the same deal here...1/2 acre...kept the English Ivy that covers much of the Southern side, but in the back I have the wooded area and that was obscene...the PI...ugh. E.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e.

I guess the P.O. just never went back there, or somethin'

I dug it all up with a pick-ax. No time for games. Got other stuff panted there, can't use poison.

Washable gauntlet gloves (think roses, mine are leather), covered in cloth from head to toe...I used our clay soil to 'soak' the blade and my gloves when I was done - every time, to try and absorb the oil that might have contaminated...but I might be one of those people who becomes immune...I did not have any rashes as a result even after I accidentally picked up a fresh vine after I took the gloves off...DER...and it took me a few months of diligence in searching for roots to get rid of it. But now I can go back there and only have to curse the chiggers.

Must be bagged for rubbish pick-up - that's where I really expected to get nailed.

Do not burn PI. Toxic in varying degrees - inhalation is dangerous, not just annoying.

I HATE CHIGGERS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden