U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,008,550 times

Advertisements

Lose your property for growing food?

YouTube - Obama to Nationalize Farms, Outlaw Organic Farming

YouTube - OUTLAW Organic Farming? Just say NO! Urgent Call to Action
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 AM

7,730 posts, read 13,607,582 times
From what I have read - GovTrack: H.R. 875: Text of Legislation, Introduced in House - the legislation is too loosely worded. It's overreaching legislation that will hurt small farms without adding any real protection. It will create jobs and expand the size of the department of agriculture. It's not intended to reach the backyard gardener that sells produce at the farmer's market on the weekend, but based on what I'm reading, it could.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:57 PM

18,285 posts, read 22,301,082 times
Anytime government gets into our private lives it spells disaster. Mess with farming of any kind you are messing with our USA food supplies.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 AM

4,178 posts, read 10,291,873 times
This is a set-up to make America the source of food for the world. When people in other countries spend 65-75% of their income on food, when China's crops have already failed this year and they cannot feed their billions, we are prime to be a food-producing source. This is the mindset of the FedGov - also the mindset of the corporations that are snatching up large farms and ranches all over the country. Do you really think that Ted Turner bought a ranch to raise and protect the buffalo, or to raise beefalo? No, he bought it because there were subsidies for the preservation of the buffalo, then there were subsidies to breed beefalo, THEN there were government welfare programs to pay him for the "failed" beefalo project. He has millions of dollars invested in a seed bank in Greenland - a seed bank of heirloom, not GM or hybrid seeds. What does this tell you of his mindset? Ted Turner always wants to be King - and people who set the price and availability of food become kings to the serfs who are not permitted to grow their own food or provide for others in their family or community. We are about to see a shift in the paradigm of food supply - and cost - in this country. Where once we were the most industrialized (and individually profitable) country in the world, we will see our society more and more firmly divided into the haves and have-nots than ever before - and it is our government who will pave the way for that, all the time telling us, shush, don't worry, this doesn't mean anything to YOU. And these 'loose' and 'ineffectual' laws that the FedGov, the corporate profiteers, and the lobbyist-whores are sliding under the radar will become very important in the next six years. JMHO.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:35 AM

7,730 posts, read 13,607,582 times
If growing tomatoes becomes illegal, I'll be on the first boat out of here.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:24 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,243,168 times
Before we all panic, I think this legislation has a long way to go before it is passed by Congress and signed by the President. I fully understand its intent - how many of us purchase products in grocery stores and at farmers' markets on blind faith, hoping/praying that indeed the producer consciously or unconsciously didn't grow inferior products.

However, as currently written, the new Act could put an unfair burden on small farms and anyone who sells any kinds of foods - even the backyard gardener who puts extra vegetables for sale at curbside could be affected. The absolute first thing that came to mind was my fantastic vacation in PA in Amish country - I thoroughly enjoyed stopping at roadside stands for the most delicious vegetables and breads and pies. How pray tell would an Amish farmer electronically submit his application and maintain his registration under this legislation?? ("electronically" is one of the requirements).

The only thing I can suggest is that gardeners and farmers-and consumers!-keep watch on HR 875 as it evolves. Writing to your own congressional representatives, to the bill writers themselves, to the committees who've received the bill (Energy, Agriculture), and outlining specific things they need to consider (Amish farmers as example) will keep the Act from becoming intrusive, burdensome, bloated with ridiculous requirements, and so forth. I do know from experience that noisy Americans can make a difference with government - don't think it can't.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 AM

5,065 posts, read 15,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Before we all panic, I think this legislation has a long way to go before it is passed by Congress and signed by the President. I fully understand its intent - how many of us purchase products in grocery stores and at farmers' markets on blind faith, hoping/praying that indeed the producer consciously or unconsciously didn't grow inferior products.

However, as currently written, the new Act could put an unfair burden on small farms and anyone who sells any kinds of foods - even the backyard gardener who puts extra vegetables for sale at curbside could be affected. The absolute first thing that came to mind was my fantastic vacation in PA in Amish country - I thoroughly enjoyed stopping at roadside stands for the most delicious vegetables and breads and pies. How pray tell would an Amish farmer electronically submit his application and maintain his registration under this legislation?? ("electronically" is one of the requirements).

The only thing I can suggest is that gardeners and farmers-and consumers!-keep watch on HR 875 as it evolves. Writing to your own congressional representatives, to the bill writers themselves, to the committees who've received the bill (Energy, Agriculture), and outlining specific things they need to consider (Amish farmers as example) will keep the Act from becoming intrusive, burdensome, bloated with ridiculous requirements, and so forth. I do know from experience that noisy Americans can make a difference with government - don't think it can't.
ITA. I do regularly shop at local farm stands, and I would hate for this bill to adversely affect them. I want to see exactly what the bill requires before I panic, though. But I do think that some of our largest food processors in the U.S. are not as safe as they could be, so I wouldn't be against some extra measure of protection, as long as it was reasonable.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,145,154 times
Some of you might remember a few months back a bill that would could have outlawed the sale of second hand children's toys and clothing at thrift stores to yard sales. Elected officials were contacted by thousands of voters in protest. Within weeks the bill had more specifics added, and the threat to thrift stores and yard sales was taken care of. It looks like the same thing needs to happen here. If enough people can write to all of their elected officials and voice their concerns, the bill might be made more specific so we all can see exactly what we are in for.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 PM

202 posts, read 789,988 times
Default What's wrong with food safety?

I'm not big on regulation but if someone in my family died of salmonella poisoning due to negligent practices by food producers and production facilities I would be saying this bill doesn't go far enough. I reread it twice. Nothing sounds onerous to me.
What I read says there has to be a way to track food. Salmonella outbreaks can only be quickly mitigated if we can find out where the tainted product is coming from.
It also strengthens or adds provision for inspecting facilities. The peanut plant that put out product that killed people had another plant in Texas that had NEVER been inspected. Workers told of rats, roaches, filth etc.
Wake up. This is a ploy to prevent some sensible regulation to come into our currently broke system.
I don't want to be poisoned by my food for someone else's profit.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,433,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
Wake up. This is a ploy to prevent some sensible regulation to come into our currently broke system.
I don't want to be poisoned by my food for someone else's profit.
I'm surprised so many people on city-data believe in more regulation and more government intrusion. Through e-mail and postings, I understand many of you believe I should get a license and pay fees just to sell surplus tomatoes, squash and pumpkins out of my garden. If that comes about, I'll can and freeze as much as I have time and space for, give away as much as my relatives can take and throw any surplus onto the compost pile to enrich next year's garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden