Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,893,285 times

Advertisements

Michelle Obama: How Does Your Garden Grow? - Washington Wire - WSJ

Without getting into politics, what do you guys think of the new white house vegetable garden? Gotta admit I love seeing people gardening on the nightly news (although Michelle needs to wear a more realistic gardening outfit). Who knew when I started planting seeds last month that I was actually doing something trendy!

Do you think the public will be able to see it? I go into DC quite a bit, it might be a fun thing to snap a photo of. Also, I wonder who'll be tending it. Master Gardeners of DC, perhaps? That would be a fun MG assignment!

At least the white house won't have problems with deer. Hungry tourists desparate to find something to eat at the national mall, maybe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 PM

202 posts, read 819,882 times
Default Great!

There have been many groups, publications and garden enthusiasts that have been encouraging the President to do this.
I read somewhere that in Japan the government gives you a property tax break if you have a vegetable/fruit garden. The notion is with limited land they would be less dependent on outside food sources if everybody had some food growing at home.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
If you have a garden in japan ;you are indeed well off; land is so costly. But i really doubt it will make much difference unless you can afford someone else to tend the garden. i don't garden because of the cool factor;I like fresh produce and growing it.The economy has more to do with increases i these type times as in the past. When times get better it passes like a fad.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
Busting up lawn sod with garden rakes? Michelle Obama is showing her lack of knowledge regarding gardening. See the photo at: [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/us/politics/21michelle.html?em[/url]

How about using a sod cutter and recycling the sod at a government building? Or, using a garden plow and a rototiller?

The sod could have been sprayed first with a grass killer such as Roundup.

What fertilizers and pesticides have been used the last 100+ years on the White House lawn? It may take a number of years before the garden could be classified as organic. Maybe never as a result of continued use of fertilizers and pesticides on the surrounding grass area.

I suspect that Michelle's sole involvement with this garden will be photo opportunities with her daughters. Serious gardening is dirty, sweaty work. I suspect the garden will end up in weeds, unless the White House gardeners take over the garden.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 AM

8,064 posts, read 17,982,980 times
For the past couple of years, seed companies have reported substantial increases in sales, due to a number of issues. Food prices, contaminated produce, and illegal immigration issues have led people to start gardening. So, the "White House garden" isn't leading the way -- it's catching up.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 AM

32,849 posts, read 36,161,804 times
I hope that the Master Gardeners swoop in, though I'm sure that the grounds staff would do, because if she's going to plant garlic and okra outside in two weeks in DC, we're already looking at some problems.

I think that it would be great if Michelle Obama got even a few people interested in gardening.

"Not since Eleanor Roosevelt’s World War II-era “Victory Garden,” has an administration eaten what it has grown on the White House grounds." Uh ho, this doesn't bode well for...us.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,407,789 times
Look around White House occupants. What's her point........not to support "local" growers when times are bad and spend more money to put in a garden and have more staff to take care of it.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
Look around White House occupants. What's her point........not to support "local" growers when times are bad and spend more money to put in a garden and have more staff to take care of it.
By gum all those farmers who live in Georgetown must be furious. In DC you might find someone growing a pot plant or two, but the nearest real farm is well over an hour's drive away, not just down the road.

Somehow I don't think the crop of veggies that might come from this little plot will put a dent in the amount of produce the white house buys. Just like my own personal garden doesn't seem to lower my grocery bill (no matter how much I think it should). The point was to set an example--and, being a fan of gardening, it's an example I like to see being set.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:47 PM

Okra??? LOL, not exactly a big crop around here.

My MG friends tell me the whitehouse garden will have the following: butterhead and red leaf lettuce, spinach, broccoli, onions, carrots, peas, basil, sage, oregano and rosemary. It will be tended by MG volunteers. Apparently they were the ones who intiated the idea--they've approached the last few administrations trying to get a project like this.

I also asked if they were going to model the scarecrow after any well known politicians. LOL, she laughed... but then she quickly changed the subject...

Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,152,934 times
Whether it makes it "cool" or not it is something more people in our country need to be doing. I really think this is more of a PR thing for the 1st lady than promoting home gardens really. I am surprised that former chefs didn't inquire about having one for the fresh produce outside their back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden