U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,970,651 times

Advertisements

I've noticed lately that the Topsy Turvy commercials are on again this spring. There were posts about this last year but I haven't found much info this year. It sounds like one could make your own, but that might be too much work! Has anyone had success with the Topsy Turvy's? I googled them and found that you can find the actual ones a lot cheaper on QVC than anywhere. Any help is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,144,607 times
I asked some around about them last year. Reviews from people in my area varied. Some said the sun made the plastic coating brittle at the end of the year. Others said they had to water it 2-3 times per day. I saw this, which is cheaper then the topsy turvy.

Growing Tomatoes Upside Down? An Alternative Garden Plan

Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,052 times
Default Growin Tomatoes upside down

Hi,
My question is what holds the tomato plant in the bucket I would think it would fall out.
Iam in Miramichi NB Canada which is a zone 4 and I would like to use this idea but I don`t want to ruin a good tomato plant either.
Any thought`s?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 PM

7,730 posts, read 13,606,602 times
From what I know, there is a small hole in the container for the tomato. You plant the seed, or insert the plant through that hole, let it settle in, then hang it upside down.

I just don't have any good ideas about container gardening for tomatoes. To me, they will need a LOT more water than most people will be able to provide, especially in the south where I am.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:35 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,913,137 times
I ordered a couple just to see if they work. I was told they have foam rings or something within the bag that helps hold the moisture in. I've also heard they get very heavy, so you have to be careful how and where you hang them. I haven't had a whole lot of success with my tomatoes over the last few years, and I don't know if it's my soil or what. I love fresh, home grown tomatoes (as opposed to the tasteless red things in cellophane that you get in grocery stores).

My sister, who is a much better gardener than I, thinks they are a gimmick, and refuses to even consider using them. But she hasn't had a whole lot of success with her tomatoes lately either. I've read that in England they've used something similar to grow tomatoes for years. I just want a good crop of tomatoes, and if I have to use a gimmick to get them then so be it!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 28,568 times
ridiculous

Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 AM

3,645 posts, read 10,540,112 times
I've been eyeballing the Topsy's too... thinking tomatoes and strawberries. Harriet Carter sells the tomato ones for $10 each and $15 for the strawberry ones.

I followed the link though and I think I'd like to try that method this summer. No weeding! Awesome!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:47 AM

9,766 posts, read 21,783,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I followed the link though and I think I'd like to try that method this summer. No weeding! Awesome!
Hadn't even thought about that - awesome indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden