Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times

Advertisements

So I am not a huge fan of forsythia, but the prior owners of our home apparently were. I have spent the past 6 years removing random placement of forsythia bushes and I am down to my last section that I thought I wanted to remove, but now i am wondering if it might be best to work with what I have. At the bottom of our property there is a border of about 80 feet wide worth of forsythia plants. They are planted in a staggered fashion and are actually several forsythia plants deep. They are overgrown so I plan to trim them back a little this year. I like them because they create somewhat of a "border" between the grassy area of our property and a section of woods with a brook that falls behind the forsythia border. What I would like to do is plant in front of the forsythia (the side that faces the grassy area) to create a more interesting border, rather than just the forsythia. Any thoughts on other shorter shrubs that would mix well? I am in CT, the soil in that area is damp, sunny. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Azaleas, roses, peonies. Bulbs: tulips daffodils, iris. Mounding perennial flowers, I especially like all kinds of daisies and many of them become 2-3 feet tall.

The most beautiful flower I've ever grown would look lovely in such a garden, Canterbury Bells. They got over 2 feet tall and were covered with the most glorious flowers all summer, four months. I grew them from seed, cheap and easy. They did well in the north.
Attached Thumbnails
Forsythia Border-canterbury_bells_campanula_medium_2_seeds.jpg  

Old 03-24-2009, 05:30 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
What about daylilies? Their long flowy leaves and flower stalks would be a nice contrast against the forsythia.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
I have a forsythia border and I love it.. kind of like a natural privacy fence...If you are planning to plant in front of them, you'll have to trim the bushes back and make sure you will have sun... mine shade everything!! But then I don't like to make them "boxy" looking...I prefer the natural look

Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks all for the input. Trudy - there is plenty of sun there. I plan to trim, but not too much because I don't want that boxy look either!

I think i might do a mix of azaleas and some perennials. So many options though! Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,660 times
My neighbors have a forsythia border along their front yard...its stunning right now and almost in peek bloom. They cut theirs down to about 2-3' after they bloom to allow views into their garden, its a nice privacy hedge. It is one of the best things to come around the corner down our street and see that beautiful line of forsythia. I will try to take a picture...I have pics on my profile page of their garden but dont know how to add a picture to the discussions.
Good luck...I hope you keep them!
Update: I just added two pics to my profile page albums...My neighbors enjoy the natural look as well but the forsythia gets a good hair cut after blooming because they always start new growth for the year and can get very big and bushy. Hope the pictures help show what a big cut back will still allow the forsythias to enjoy

Last edited by Hartwell Girl; 03-24-2009 at 05:27 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
My neighbors have a forsythia border along their front yard...its stunning right now and almost in peek bloom. They cut theirs down to about 2-3' after they bloom to allow views into their garden, its a nice privacy hedge. It is one of the best things to come around the corner down our street and see that beautiful line of forsythia. I will try to take a picture...I have pics on my profile page of their garden but dont know how to add a picture to the discussions.
Good luck...I hope you keep them!
Update: I just added two pics to my profile page albums...My neighbors enjoy the natural look as well but the forsythia gets a good hair cut after blooming because they always start new growth for the year and can get very big and bushy. Hope the pictures help show what a big cut back will still allow the forsythias to enjoy

That's funny, I'm just 20 miles north of you and our forsythia isn't blooming at all yet.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the pictures. That does look nice. Mine are about 3 times that size! time for a haircut. They are actually in bloom now here in NE and they do look quite nice, although straggley since I haven't done anything with them in 6 years. ahh, another project....Thanks all for the input and feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden