Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times

Advertisements

Hey Recycled

Wonderful info and pics!! I give you 10 positive rep pts for your info/presentation, but I have to subtract 8 pts for the 'spuds' comment ! What time is best for us to meet at your home to plan the GREEN GOLD heist????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Thanks recycled. That really is green gold.
Well, once we get settled, I'm gonna give it a shot.
I've got about 4 pits growing in water-filled jars, and I'd like to put at least one in a pot. It definitely gets below 40 here during the winter.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Thanks recycled. That really is green gold.
Well, once we get settled, I'm gonna give it a shot.
I've got about 4 pits growing in water-filled jars, and I'd like to put at least one in a pot. It definitely gets below 40 here during the winter.
I've read in the Southern Living Gardening book that established Mexican avacados can handle record-low frosts down to 18 F, while West Indian (Carribbean) varieties can only handle 25 F.

You might be able to grow some Mexican varieties depending on what part of north Florida you live.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I've read in the Southern Living Gardening book that established Mexican avacados can handle record-low frosts down to 18 F, while West Indian (Carribbean) varieties can only handle 25 F.

You might be able to grow some Mexican varieties depending on what part of north Florida you live.
Thank you, CC. I really would like to give it another shot.
The tricky part will be moving all these jars with sprouted 'cado pits.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Thank you, CC. I really would like to give it another shot.
The tricky part will be moving all these jars with sprouted 'cado pits.
Your welcome!

I'd strongly recommend you don't let it overwinter outdoors without attaining some decent size, given that you're in north Florida. The Mexican variety might only be able to handle 25-28 F the first year, since most saplings aren't typically as frost hardy as their parents, for any given tree species.

Now would be the perfect time to start an avacodo, to get the most size before winter of course, however you may want to plant it in a very large container/pot and leave it until it gets some size to it and maybe plant it in the ground in spring 2008. But you should use your own discretion as to weather the plant looks mature enough for cold....

Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Your welcome!

Now would be the perfect time to start an avacodo, to get the most size before winter of course, however you may want to plant it in a very large container/pot and leave it until it gets some size to it and maybe plant it in the ground in spring 2008. But you should use your own discretion as to weather the plant looks mature enough for cold....
Our prospective house has plenty of room.
I'll keep them inside for winter; I won't do anything too drastic till '08.
I think what might have gone wrong the first time was that I put the avocado in too big of a pot. I need to start smaller.
I really do have 4-5 sprouted 'cado pits in jars, each at a different height, and I really do want to bring them.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,772 times
Default Just an update

My cado sprout has many big, and beautiful leaves. It is getting so tall! Will plant it in a pot soon.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
My cado sprout has many big, and beautiful leaves. It is getting so tall! Will plant it in a pot soon.
Keep us posted! I hope you will have a successful 'cado report.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:05 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Default I had one that lasted a couple of years...

I would sprout the seeds and nurture the tiny plants along.

One grew several feet. Kept it in a sunny spot.

I believe I read that you have to have a male and female avocado to produce fruit. No idea how to determine this.

It seems like the avocado was prone to some sort of mites and malathion was recommended.

My friend had a large avocado plant--but I believe she got it from a nursery.

sls

Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 AM

Just wanted to update the avocado situation here:
I moved all of the pits that were in jars to our new house here.
Then I put them in a sunny window and almost killed all 4.
Then two got bugs and they were in such dire shape I dumped them.
Now I have one struggling along in a jar, and one in a pot, it was the strongest one all along, and it is doing absolutely beautifully, lots of new leaves.
One thing I figured out right away is the sun: they don't seem to like it as much as I thought--indirect sun seems to be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden