Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times

Advertisements

I need some ideas for a good ground cover for a strip of bare dirt between the concrete pool deck and the chain link fence. It is approx. 1 foot wide and 36 feet long. I live in SW Missouri, zone 5 I believe. I want something short, maybe up to 6" tall. Blooming or not, doesn't matter but some flowers would be nice. This area gets mostly sun, a little shade and stays pretty dry. I really want a perennial. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:31 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
What about some lily turf? It spreads quick and gets purple blooms in the summer. PlantFiles: Detailed information on Lily Turf, Lilyturf, Monkey Grass Liriope muscari

Old 05-23-2009, 05:13 AM

I considered that, but already have maiden grass, pampas grass and Liriope in that part of the yard, along with daylilies. Kinda want to stay away from long, thin-leaved plants for variety. Would be a good last resort though if nothing else suits.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Coming fom another Missourian...check out nurseries. I have 5 different ground covers growing. I'll have to look them up to tell you what works for me in our area. I found several nice ground covers in Lowes & Home Depot this Spring.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:31 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Take a look at Vinca Vine. There's info and a pic here:
Vinca major Variegata | Vinca Vine - Annuals - Denver Plants

It comes back every year. You would need to use some edging to keep it from growing beyond the space where you want it. I planted a couple babies in a 6 square foot area and two years later it was filled. It blooms (not very showy) continuously. I think the individual blooms don't last very long. New plants will grow easily from cuttings.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Here's a site with another variety vinca minor, as well as vinca major:

VINCA minor Periwinkle @ classygroundcovers.com

I have both, and the "minor" variety stays lower and is (in my garden) easier to control.
Of course the "major" variety is the same that nurseries sell for $3-$5 a pot for a small plant If I were to sell of mine (if I could ) I'd make enough money to replace a few of my windows

Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Default ajuga!

Another great groundcover is ajuga IMHO!

Looks beautiful when it's in bloom (see below) and when it's done, you can just mow it - that'll keep it low to the ground and the flowers will come back each year. If you don't want to mow, the plants, including the leaves, get bigger and more spectatular. My photos are of part of my (backyard) lawn a couple of weeks ago - the flowers are pretty much gone, and I'll be mowing this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
ground cover advice needed-my-garden-008.jpg   ground cover advice needed-my-garden-011.jpg  

Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Another great groundcover is ajuga IMHO!

Looks beautiful when it's in bloom (see below) and when it's done, you can just mow it - that'll keep it low to the ground and the flowers will come back each year. If you don't want to mow, the plants, including the leaves, get bigger and more spectatular. My photos are of part of my (backyard) lawn a couple of weeks ago - the flowers are pretty much gone, and I'll be mowing this weekend
my vote also..... my honeybees love it too...

Old 05-27-2009, 07:04 AM

I really like the vinca, but unfortunately everywhere is down to just a couple plants left. I decided to try a tricolor sedum, it says works well in poor soil, drought, and heat. Perfect! The only ajuga I could find was something like "chocolate chip" and I wasn't that fond of the brown color. I'm going to plant them today-we will see what happens! Thanks for the great advice and if this doesn't work out, I will try one of your recommendations next year when I can get to the store earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden