U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,759,725 times

Advertisements

I planted new seeds indoors. Should I cover them with plastic? Thank you,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 06:18 PM

7,730 posts, read 13,534,473 times
Until they sprout, yes. It'll help hold in moisture. What'd you plant?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,759,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Until they sprout, yes. It'll help hold in moisture. What'd you plant?

It is a long story: Sometime ago I visited Newport, Rhode Island and saw this beautiful Rudbeckia flower by a mansion by the ocean, with very long petals, the heads are about 4 iches, and about 24 inches long. I have Rudbeckias home, but this one was of a different variety, and it stood out.

Upon my return home, I researched a multitude of varieties with no luck. There are over 1,000 varieties of Rudbeckias. So, I decided to go back to Newport and ask every garden store that I could come across, if they knew about the plant I was describing. Again, no one could identified it.

So, I decided to go back to the mansion, and wait until I was able to see signs of humans. I finally did speak with the owner of the home, and she was so gracious to give me two plants, but she was not sure of the specific name: One was from a different species of Rudbeckia, and the other one turned out to be, when it finally flowered, the one I saw the first time! I was so elated and grateful to this homeowner, and since then, I return to Newport, every year without fail.

It turned out to be an annual, which I suspected it, since not many people had it there. The name is Indian Summer, and I bought some Rudbeckia seeds from Pinetree Seeds, and planted them side by side. That is how I finally found out the name of it......and I love it!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,171,905 times
I also noticed those in a nursery magazine I received the other day. Also, online I just read they will reseed so that should keep you going. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:27 AM

2,958 posts, read 12,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I planted new seeds indoors. Should I cover them with plastic? Thank you,
I wouldn't.

It is a good thing to keep the soil evenly moist when sprouting seeds, which means the soil surface should not dry out. But covering the trays with plastic impedes air circulation which invites a host of other problems, damping off being the most serious effect of reduced air circulation. Damping off will kill the seedlings very quickly, as soon as they sprout and send up a shoot, they will keel over and die.

I usually have access to a greenhouse for starting seeds, so I'm lucky. When I don't, I start them outside in a flat with a permeable covering. Wooden frame with plastic insert that can be raised from the surface of the flat, I've used old windows--but to seal the seed flats in plastic is to kill the seedlings surely (I've tried it, I know). You must have air flow while retaining heat and humidity.

In northern climates many folks use coldframes. Cold frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
New seeds-coldframe.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden