Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,967,879 times

Advertisements

Every time I've moved I've left all my plants behind. I like to think of myself as a sort of Johnny Appleseed, leaving bits of beauty wherever I go. Plus I enjoy starting new, each garden is better than the one before as I learn more about how to plant things correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,686,414 times
I moved from South Florida to Northern Alabama...so most of my stuff went to my ex boyfriend and his wife or the neighbors...
What I could not part with I pulled up and potted the year (or 6 months) before we were REALLY going to find our new location so that it wouldn't be shocked by a sudden transplant.

Only a few tropicals came with me = my healthy Powder Puff tree, which has always been in a large pot (started from a cutting the size of my pinkie), some sort of seriously tropical vine (large leaves with 'holes' in them and lily-like flowers) that my mother gave me, an Arabian Jasmine, a rooted cutting from my Wild FL coffee, a few ferns and Piper Nigrum.
I mulched everything to 4" thick because we were moving in November and these babies had to stay the winter in a friend's unheated, unlit garage for a few months.

Everything survived that, but the next winter (last) claimed my Jasmine (I think, anyway) and the Wild Coffee...both had been planted the summer of 2008 in protected environments (using the micro-climate) and mulched as an experiment, but are three zones away from appropriate. If they come up this Spring I would be surprised. I'll replace them when I get the greenhouse.

The Piper Nigrum is thriving in several pots, even after spending the long cold winter downstairs in an unheated basement with only the light from my door window. Just for giggles I've taken some rooted runners and layered them under my gazebo-***-potting shed...with lots of decaying leaves and mulch on top but not too much water - they don't like that. I will see if this can survive and acclimate...

There is much I wish I had brought, like my small Oleander tree...oh well.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Oh, and we rented a small U-Haul trailer and moved them with us...

Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 AM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,510,098 times
I had to make this decision many years ago. My idea is that you make where you live as pretty as you can and leave it there, unless you have something really special that you want to take with you. Taking plants across county or state lines really gets involved.

If we each make the place we live as attractive as we can, then when we move on, we can all go to green pastures that someone else has made for us and we have made for them. Bloom where you are planted and leave the blooms for someone else to enjoy. It is called being unselfish.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
If I planned to sell my house to another gardener, I wouldn't feel so bad. But I also realized that I wasn't just selling the condo, but the patio garden too. I haven't gone back to look. The neighbors were telling me about it via email. They were a little disturbed. She started hacking on the Carolina Jasmine that sprawled over a shared fence. She killed half of their vine and sprayed it with Roundup. These vines were well over 4 years old and had finally covered the tacky vinyl fence completely.
I was actually at my house when the fellow who bought it came to look...unorthodox and his Realtor was nervous, but my daughter was ill and so we weren't going anywhere (it was a last minute "We're coming by" thing). I talked with him (still making his Realtor nervous) and we discussed my crazy gardens...he was not in to landscaping, much less a full-out garden, and neither was his wife. The butterfly garden on the side, which needed to be thinned out anyway, was something I'd been working on for two years...he told me point-blank that he was going to park his boat there.

I almost died...not only because of the plants, but because we'd just invested in sprinklers to keep new sod alive for the whole yard (front, back, sides) and now he was going to cut down EVERYTHING and pave it over.

He told me to take whatever I wanted, give away the rest...he might use whatever was left-over, might not.

So I pulled up anything that I could.

What bummed me out is that I'd done some simple landscaping in the front with Pentas and weeping Hibi$cu$ - a no-care kinda thing...and it looks like he ripped those out (after he said he liked it!) and put generic palm trees there. If I had known...

They painted the house a painful color, too. I'd just taken it from butt-ugly putty/putty to a creamy vanilla and soft light green (Key West) to give it a cottage feel and they painted it a dark green with white trim. There is a lot of weird trim on that house and all I can say is OUCH.

But hey, I'm so outta there!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,422,807 times
We are going to move, and that's what I am thinking of (the move is not far, just a couple of miles away):

- small bushes like 3-year old blueberries I will dig out and re-plant.

- big bushes (goosberry, raspberry, roses) - I will dig out parts of their roots to re-plant. I did this a couple of years ago with roses, something you'd do with rhisomes, but a bit much harder to dig. The roses took in the new spot.

- bulbous flowers - I will dig out a few bulbs to re-plant. Thankfully, they will keep dividing.

- Something really sensitive and un-manageable like rhododendron - I will have to do the proper propagation technique (making a cut on a branch, covering the cut with wet moss and cellophane. The cut will grow roots inside the cellophane).

- anything else - cutting off small brunches, applying root stimulating powder/solution and planting in small pots.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,967,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I haven't gone back to look.
I think that's the smartest plan. Always look ahead, resist the urge to go back to look.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,756,336 times
THanks for all the great replies.... I want to add... i'm not going to clean out the beds.

Hostas will be divided - and anything else that i absolutely love, will be divided if possible. Most the plants, since they were grown by seeds... i can do that again. but if it is something i absolutely LOVE, i will take a division and pot it up.

And i guess i - depending on where we end up, i will have to take the zone thing into consideration.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:31 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,901,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
I think that's the smartest plan. Always look ahead, resist the urge to go back to look.
I used to look back at our former home in Denver--my husband advised me not to, and he was right. I just couldn't help myself, and every time I looked, it was worse. They let our beautiful maple die. The garden was a shell of its former self.

That was our very first home. I *can't* look back now at our second Denver home, unless I fly back there.

We had to give up all our plants and start from scratch, but we've moved several times within our new climate in north Florida, and I did bring new potted plants from rental to rental to our final permanent home, where they are doing well.

One thing I did do: I had a very favorite huge dracena plant that my then-boyfriend-now-husband had given me in 1978. In Craigslist, I advertised that I was giving it away. A very nice woman replied, and she took it.
I felt relieved that it was going to a good home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden