Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times

Advertisements

DubbleT,

The thread regarding the junipers is titled " 20 of the worst landscape(ing) choices" and is located between pages 11 and 13..or 14...i wrote it some time in the fall of 08..

The other thread is titled "Before and after pictures of your plants" and is located on page 8..I only have a couple picts up there but will be adding updated picts by Monday..then again later on when all the summer stuff starts to flower..

Most of the plants ive recommended in prior posts are those ive worked with extensively and should be widely available in most areas suited for them..especially the sun roses (Helianthemum), Coreposis and Salvia species.

Any of these will also work on sloping areas as well..still, there are others i will list later on.

Jctx,

If you have a full weekend ..or a couple to spare, you should be able to remove all of the material you wish to take out on your own or with the help of a couple friends..

As for the juniper, any remnant roots shouldnt go down too far and usually won't resprout if the main rootball is removed..

As for the boxwoods,..cut them down leaving just enough to use for leverage, soak the surrounding soil well (or remove after a heavy rainfall)..They shouldn't be a huge pain to take out..and NOTHING compared to removing well established Pittosporum lol ...i was amazed at how increadibly tough they are to take out..especially without a bobcat and chain..and no, you shouldn't need anywhere close to that kind of brute strength to get rid of those boxwoods..Once your palate is clean, the possibilities will be endless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I wonder how your siding will be affected if you remove those bushes. Will you see discoloration, or maybe spots that didn't fade as much as the rest of the house?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:28 AM

596 posts, read 2,876,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
I wonder how your siding will be affected if you remove those bushes. Will you see discoloration, or maybe spots that didn't fade as much as the rest of the house?
Maybe, hadnt thought of that. But our plans include eventually changing the face of that house so it wouldnt bother us too much of there was some discoloration. The small renovations we have plans for will mean we have to be careful not to do too much or spend too much where it may be destroyed later on. (We want to give the front of the house a facelift with more than the landscaping).

Old 04-13-2009, 01:03 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
I am in absolute SHOCK right now. How on EARTH did you do that?!

I am thoroughly enjoying staring at that photo. It has been nearly impossible to imagine the lawn without all the vegetation. This is definitely the highlight of my day today - THANK YOU!

What methods are best for removing boxwoods and creeping junipers? I have the usual rookie tools: shovels, rakes, pitchfork, edger type thing, small gardening tools (that come as a set, can get them at the dollar store, etc) but thats about it. I have some good gloves (snipping holly berry shrubs taught me a lesson...). What is the best investment to remove these things? Oh, I have the long-handled and short-handled snippers or shears or whatever they're called.

Am I going to need to hire a landscaper, or can I manage this myself over time? I am willing and physically able to put in many days of hard work.

If you had to guess, how deep and to what extent do the roots of the boxwoods and juniper go (I have that septic system beneach the lawn to think about)?

THANKS SO MUCH! I cant wait to "start over" ! Can you paint some flowers or suggested plants into the garden in front of the house? Or is that too tricky? Awesome...just...AWESOME! You did an amazing job of that.
I'm sorry I didn't reply to you sooner. It's been somewhat chaotic on the home front the last few days.

I have a nephew that owns a graphic design business and taught me a couple of tricks with a photo editing program. Nothing really involved, it's mostly copying and pasting. I couldn't really do much with yours because of just how little was exposed.

As si33 mentioned, it's a project that can be tackled by yourself although not likely all at once and soaking the area is a good idea. Dry soil in general latches onto roots almost like concrete and doesn't give as easily. Besides the main roots there will be plenty of smaller feeder roots that reinforce the larger ones. You might have a good grip on a large root and think it will be easy to yank but never underestimate those little 1/8"-1/4" roots growing from it. They all work together.

I pulled a total of 8 shrubs over two days but you've got twice that and a couple are bigger than the ones I had. I wouldn't worry too much about the septic but I would make sure I worked carefully when I was in the vicinity. The roots don't go down that deep but they do spread, the main runs on the ones I pulled went about 2-3 feet from the rootball. I had some that went further. You don't have to get every single fragment of root. I'd recommend having some fill dirt to compensate for what you remove.

If you like the junipers, leave them be. If not, there are other options for erosion control. Different types of ground covers, ornamental grasses, shrubs, some trees and shrubs. The way it looks, I would probably leave most of it in that ditch and remove some of it selectively around the edges so it isn't as dominant in front.

There's a possibility that your siding could be lighter where it wasn't covered by the bushes. I don't know about staining but there could be some bleaching from the sun. If it is, how much of a contrast would depend on how long they've been there. If you are going to do something with it in the future, it probably isn't a concern then. One advantage you could have is your bricks aren't a uniform color or shade so any imperfections may not be as noticeable as a house with one uniform color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden