U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:49 PM

596 posts, read 2,727,366 times

Advertisements

Help! Our new home looks like it is either hiding behind shrubs in hopes no one can see it...or it is being carried away in a hush of shrubbery at a very slow pace!

I will attempt to describe the situation - if I knew how to post a photo, I would. The home was built in the late '80s, but it looks more like an old '70s ranch. It is actually a split level, but from the front it appears to be a ranch-style. With the low slung roof giving the appearance that it comes half-way down the face of the house, and the enormous old shrubs growing the entire width of the home and halfway up the face, the whole place appears as if its 'peaking out' from between roof and shrubs!

The dilemma is, we dont know what these shrubs cost - would it be 'a shame' to tear them ALL out? Should we remove every other one? Should we just trim them down? (WAY down, like to a few inches from the ground?) Are the roots damaging to the home like tree roots can be?

Not only do the shrubs envelope the home, but there are equal amounts of the green bushes up and down the property line and along the walkway to the front door. Honestly, the shrubs are taking over...HELP!

How do I post a photo? What do we do?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM

2,958 posts, read 12,064,785 times
Sounds pretty weedy.

Hard for us to give advice when we don't know where you are located and we don't know what kind of shrubs you have. Some shrubs can be pruned down and others hate being pruned.

To post a pic downloaded from a camera into your computer, in the topic reply window, scroll down to the button 'Manage Attachments", click it. That will open a new window with a browse option, click it. Browse through your computer files to find the folder where you pictures are stored, for example in 'my pictures'. Click on it. Find the pics you want to post, click on them. That will bring back the manage attachments window where you click 'upload'. Voila your pic[s] are attached.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Sounds pretty weedy.

Hard for us to give advice when we don't know where you are located and we don't know what kind of shrubs you have. Some shrubs can be pruned down and others hate being pruned.

To post a pic downloaded from a camera into your computer, in the topic reply window, scroll down to the button 'Manage Attachments", click it. That will open a new window with a browse option, click it. Browse through your computer files to find the folder where you pictures are stored, for example in 'my pictures'. Click on it. Find the pics you want to post, click on them. That will bring back the manage attachments window where you click 'upload'. Voila your pic[s] are attached.
Thanks so much, Azoria. I will attempt to do the pic upload to the forum now. I dont know what the bushes are either except to call them 'shrubs'. I am in NC. Also, if you can tell me what they are possibly, that would be great. There is also some kind of ground cover that (to me) looks like a cedar of some sort. I'm told that cedar is a tree, though, and this stuff on the ground is a low, spread out type of growth...If you can tell me what that is and what on earth to do with it, that would be great too!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 PM

Ok, hopefully these photos successfully depict the problem. I would love to know what they are, and what is best to do with them, even if the best thing is to keep some or all of them, I'm willing. If they are bad for the structure of the home? Is it just me, or are they out-dated? I really want to update the look of the front of the place without spending alot...Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Shrub lubbers unite-house9.jpg   Shrub lubbers unite-cats-tshirts-017.jpg   Shrub lubbers unite-cats-tshirts-049.jpg  

Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM

13,840 posts, read 17,493,742 times
Just a guess, but I think the groundcover might be cotoneaster http://www.beautifulbotany.com/STOCK...iegatus%27.jpg
Maybe a creeping Juniper? http://www.ontariowildflower.com/ima...g_juniper2.jpg
The shrubs make me shudder. Not a big fan of the green meatball look. IMO, yes, very dated looking.

Your pics are kind of hard to tell from, but they could be boxwood or possibly some type of holly. A close pic of the leaves would help in identification

Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The shrubs make me shudder. Not a big fan of the green meatball look. IMO, yes, very dated looking.
HAHA! I know, its horrible...Green meatballs, thats hilarious!!

So ... what do I do?

(If you click on the photos they open up bigger, but may still not be close enough to really know what they are?)

Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Just a guess, but I think the groundcover might be cotoneaster http://www.beautifulbotany.com/STOCK...iegatus%27.jpg
Maybe a creeping Juniper? http://www.ontariowildflower.com/ima...g_juniper2.jpg

Your pics are kind of hard to tell from, but they could be boxwood or possibly some type of holly. A close pic of the leaves would help in identification
How on earth did you find those photos?! Good job! I think the cotoneaster has more prominent 'stems' (stick-looking parts that the green comes off of?) and the creeping juniper is quite similar but wow, if its creeping juniper, ours has crept all over the place and come up inches off the ground...

Is there no type of cedar thing like this? I really really looks so much like cedar...

Old 04-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Wow, I did a search for "creeping juniper" photos and found some that were nearly identical - you are GOOD!! Thanks!!

I just found this: "Native Americans, including the Blackfoot, Cheyenne, Crow, and Ojibwa, made tea from the berry-like fruits and used infusions to treat kidney diseases, colds and sore throats. They also burned creeping juniper as incense in ceremonies." (From: http://gardening.yardener.com/CreepingJuniper.html)

Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 PM

13,840 posts, read 17,493,742 times
Yeah, even opened up not close enough for me to tell. I'd have to see leaves much closer, but maybe somebody with more experience can tell from those.

If it were me, and if I had some big brawny help...
Everything next to the foundation would go, except maybe the taller shrub next to the door. Lot of work in that, but it would give you a clean bed to with which to play. I'd fill it with bulbs, perennials, maybe a few ornamental grasses.
The shrubs along the outside border of the sidewalk, if it's possible I'd try to trim them down into one long low (4-6") border.
I'm sure you'll get some more opinions and ideas from other posters in a little while. Lot's of good posters here.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, even opened up not close enough for me to tell. I'd have to see leaves much closer, but maybe somebody with more experience can tell from those.

If it were me, and if I had some big brawny help...
Everything next to the foundation would go, except maybe the taller shrub next to the door. Lot of work in that, but it would give you a clean bed to with which to play. I'd fill it with bulbs, perennials, maybe a few ornamental grasses.
The shrubs along the outside border of the sidewalk, if it's possible I'd try to trim them down into one long low (4-6") border.
I'm sure you'll get some more opinions and ideas from other posters in a little while. Lot's of good posters here.
Thank you for the ideas. I was sort of thinking the same thing. Why would you remove everything next to the foundation? Is it a concern for the brick or concrete, or just ugliness? I'm just curious...thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden