U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 AM

9,368 posts, read 24,221,360 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to identify the cause of the sudden death of a willow tree that has been thriving? Is it possible to know if herbicides are the cause?

Can cold weather kill an established tree that has been previously unaffected by cold weather?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 29,534,702 times
Sorry, I don't know the answer, just wanted to extend my sympathies. I lost an oak tree suddenly a few years back. We never did figure out why. Something about losing a tree makes me very sad.

I've had cold weather kill a holly that was more than a decade oold and had weathered colder winters than the one that did it in. I guess the same thing is true for people, it isn't always the harshest cold or the most devastating illness that gets you, sometimes you'll die from a common cold if it's your time to go.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 11,632,930 times
Has there been any disturbance of it's roots or do the roots appear rotted?
Has there been drought conditions where you live?
Have pesticides or herbicides been sprayed near the tree? Sometimes it will appear a tree is dead, because these sprays have gotten on the leaves...but the tree itself may not be dead. To know if a tree is really dead, scrape off some bark..if the under color is brown, the tree is dead...if the under color of the scraping is green...the tree is alive, but the foliage has died.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:00 AM

17,833 posts, read 31,804,967 times
HIF
We had some really hard freezes this year so what may of not been affected by our past mild winters could of taken a hit this year.
Do what poconoproud suggested by seeing if there is any green under the bark, when I begin my spring "pruning" I start high and prune a little at a time until I start to see green.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:59 AM

33,989 posts, read 14,539,381 times
HIF,, I suggest you perform an autopsy

Just kidding, only 4 hours of sleep, I'm so sorry, I love all of my trees and I have some babies since I just moved in less than a year ago. So I am anziously waiting to see what survives!!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 AM

4,178 posts, read 10,253,082 times
A willow's roots (for the most part) run very close to the surface, and very far out. (This is part of the reason why willows don't fall over in high winds, that and their ability to sway and move their above-ground parts in high winds.) If you start disturbing the soil around the roots, by either deep digging, planting, heavy mulching, or yes herbicides, you can kill it. Another reason willows die is that they take LOTS of water, over long periods, even some in the winter. A lot of snow or ice on those unprotected roots can harm them too. If you have undergone a drought recently, it may not have gotten enough water. I had two glorious huge willows that were 10 years old, and a hot drought summer killed them both, even though I had drip irrigation on them every day. Another thing that can kill them is bugs that strip the leaves. There is one that looks like an elongated ladybug, only with yellow spots, whose clan can strip a willow in no time. Tent caterpillars can do it too; although they are not partial to willows and will nest in/eat other trees first. Willows are not known for their longevity unless they are close to a permanent source of water like a stream or pond.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:40 PM

9,368 posts, read 24,221,360 times
My lawn care company sprays herbicide on the pinestraw around the trees and bushes even though they are not licensed to do so. I didn't mention it at first BC I wanted objective input.

This is the same company that sprayed and killed my pampas grass. We have another willow in the neighborhood and it looks fine. So does the other pampas grass.

By coincidence, it is the same company that left dozens of bags of clippings for the city to pick up and I put a stop to it.

When we notified him that a section of association property was not being irrigated, he told us that we were wrong. We went back and forth for weeks. Funny thing, the JEA bill showed zero water usage for that section. He is an evil, untruthful man.

He complained over a year ago that the willow was too messy, just as he told me that the pampas grass should be removed. Guess he took care of it. I intend to plant beautiful beauganvilla all over in memory of the willow and my pampas grass. He really hates that.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 AM

956 posts, read 3,901,414 times
Each state is responsible for testing and certifying those who spray pesticides. If you feel your contractor is not certified, report him to the state. In Pennsylvania, the PDA (PA Dept. of Agriculture) is the body reponsible, I don't know which state you're in so I can't tell you exactly who to contact.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:37 AM

17,833 posts, read 31,804,967 times
HIF it sounds like they need to be reported and you all need to find a new company !!!
I would bring it up at your next HOA meeting

Old 04-13-2009, 06:01 AM

21,956 posts, read 23,024,416 times
It is true about the spraying of pesticides. My BIL sprays pesticides for trees in CA and he has a license to do so. To get that license he must constantly take new tests to get his certifications. It is not easy. Anyone spraying pesticides, especially around homes, must be certified to do so. I know that at least in CA it is very regulated and I suspect it is that way in most places. I would definately bring this up at your next HOA meeting. This is nothing to play around with---pesticides can be very dangerous to you, your children and pets. People who apply pesticides must know what they are doing!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden