Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 PM

218 posts, read 1,462,399 times

Advertisements

I live in eastern NC and can not figure out what this is. Last month it had little yellow flowers that attracted ALOT of bees, now it has little red berries?
just curious.
Attached Thumbnails
can anyone tell me what shrub/bush this is?-shrub1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Default here is another shot of it

it is an interesting tree, the birds love, it the bees love it when it has the yellow flowers. It has green leaves and also reddish ones and thorns. I can't find what it is.
any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
can anyone tell me what shrub/bush this is?-shrub2.jpg  

Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
First your heading question asked what kind of shrub/bush you had, now you are calling it a tree. The picture doesn't really depict it's size. Do you believe it to be a tree or a bush? How tall is it? Is it in full sun or partial shade? A great many trees are identified by their bark, rather than their leaves.
Berberis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The photo with the above description shows more rounded leaves than what your photo shows, but is what comes up with a google search of *yellow flowers/red berries*

If your eyes are better than mine, there is a whole list of possibilities here:
Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs p/b - Google Book Search

I recall a project in elementary school (yes, there were schools back when the dinosaurs roamed!) where we all had to collect all different leaves from bushes and trees we came across and bring them back after Spring break, When we came back with our leaves after vacation, we had to identify the parent plant with books available in the school library. After that, we were given the names of more than a dozen trees that could be found within walking distance of the school and had to have a leaf from each of the trees on the list over one weekend. Of course, that was back before anyone had computers, so we had to rely on books and word of mouth. Of all the assignments through schooling, that was the most fun I ever had with an assignment. Yeah, I know.. too much information...

Old 04-14-2009, 05:35 PM

tree shrub bush.... ??? that should give you a clue, I'm not the smartest when it comes to identifying things.:-) I assume bush or shrub it is about as tall as me (5') give or take. It gets full sun. The flowers and berries in the link you sent look similar, but as you said the leaves aren't pointed like mine.
I have 3 of these in our yard, and it is where I put my bird feeders and the little birds are constantly in them.
I also have a couple of mimosa's, took me a bit to identify them but i did, these trees get the butterflies and humming birds.
I'm going to keep looking thru the other link... thank you

Old 04-14-2009, 05:55 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Berberis is what came to my mind also.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I have no idea what it is. But it's pretty, I like it.

The foliage looks oleander-ish.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Default I found a match ...but

ok so I found a picture that matches but here is the prob. the name beside it is "berberis sanguinea en Février" now if I use this whole name I get nothing I can read as it is all in another language. If I use just berberis sanguinea I don't get much information about it and no pic.
Now here's my thing, last year when we moved here I cut it back a lot, and I do not recall the flowers or berries. so I'm thinking it I might not have done it any good, and therefore have done nothing to it this year. I need to cut it back but don't want to stunt it in any way.
so any suggestions?

Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Default and the pic ....

I believe this is the 1

Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
I do not think that your shrub is a berberis sanguinea. CalPhotos: Berberis sanguinea

I think that looking at the new reddish leaves that it is a photinia. http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/u...90/1/26791.jpg

When a photinia is cut back the new growth comes in shiny and red.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Photinias have no such flower. And their leaves are much wider and more coarse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden