U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 05:51 PM

903 posts, read 3,428,422 times

Advertisements

We moved into our house in October-the homeowner had nothing but ivy/poison ivy, overgrown junipers, unkept bushes. It is about a 1/2 acre of corner property and it looks terrible. If we remove the ivy and bushes, what will come out from under the dirt that is left behind? Do you think it will then just be weed ridden. It is going to be an expense to remove and we are aftaid we will be just making it look worse. There are sprinklers that we need to fix on that side as well. BTW, we are in NY. Thanks-any advice or direction would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM

11,021 posts, read 22,297,884 times
Generally, unless you plant or seed something you want whatever comes up will be "weeds". Can the juniper and bushes be trimmed back until you decide what to do with the area? Perhaps if you just cleaned up a small area of it you'd get a feel for what grows well there. Or each time the lawn was mowed you could "reclaim" an extra couple of feet from the overgrown territory so it wouldn't seem such a huge job?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,475,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
We moved into our house in October-the homeowner had nothing but ivy/poison ivy, overgrown junipers, unkept bushes. It is about a 1/2 acre of corner property and it looks terrible. If we remove the ivy and bushes, what will come out from under the dirt that is left behind? Do you think it will then just be weed ridden. It is going to be an expense to remove and we are aftaid we will be just making it look worse. There are sprinklers that we need to fix on that side as well. BTW, we are in NY. Thanks-any advice or direction would be appreciated.
HA! I feel your pain...after moving in, spent last summer ripping out scrubby weeds and P.I by the roots with a pick-ax. See profile pics...and that's after the first few rounds, maybe 6 months in. It was just full - everywhere - of nasty, ugly, thorned and itchy stuff. Also half an acre. Am tackling the trees this year, little by little. I figure it'll take 4-5 years to get this lot in shape. The clay/rock soil here needs much amending. At least in N.Y. your chances of real dirt improve.

The large Cedar Junipers we have growing on the Northern easement are...messy...but the birds LOVE them. So what I'm doing is trimming off the lower branches, opening up the space underneath - amazing how much better even my preliminary effort appears. From there I'll work in a shady rock garden.

The forest will become an enchanted but wild woodland landscape.

The 8 large planting beds that surround the house will all eventually be reclaimed.

Here for support.

Oh - start by trimming back the bushes. Way back. Shape naturally or make a hedge. Just check local ordinances first...some jurisdictions are picky about how a homeowner does what, even if it is an improvement. Don't take them out until you know what they are...

Use an iron rake to pull out the Ivy that has become invasive and trim back with clippers or an edger - I mean English or Boston...can be kept neat but it takes diligence. I have that and BAMBOO (yikes) covering my Southern easement and the trees, too.

How do you feel about moss and fern?

Last edited by 33458; 04-16-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 PM

21,693 posts, read 64,641,343 times
Uhhhh, 1/2 acre??? Overwhelmed??? My garden is bigger than that and I just rototilled it today after visiting with a neighbor for half the day. Spray glyco-phopsphate, do the same, and re-sod.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 PM

9,759 posts, read 21,763,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Where in NY are you located? If you're on Long Island, I'd gladly share some of my perennials with you , especially hostas...

Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM

903 posts, read 3,428,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Where in NY are you located? If you're on Long Island, I'd gladly share some of my perennials with you , especially hostas...

Thanks but we are going to look on working on the other side of the property now (about 1/3 acre)-its covered in trees-wooded-and thinking of taking down the dead and straggly ones-most are-and leaving the big beautiful ones. We want to fence in the area and make a place for the kids to run around-we have no backyard-only side property. As far as the mess of a 1/2 acre on the other side, my neighbors are going to hate it-I don't like it either but I think we are going to have to leave it this year. Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM

40,907 posts, read 53,094,700 times
Get rid of the poison ivy in any case. The best thing is probably what you're planning, do it a chunk at a time.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,657,671 times
You could always try contacting Desperate Landscapes on DIY network and see if they will come give you a hand. After every episode they are always asking for folks to send in their desperate landscapes so they can come and fix it.

I have seriously thought about doing it myself, but I don't think mine would be considered all that desperate. Your's on the other hand would probably be considered desperate especially with the poision ivy all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden