U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:02 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,771 posts, read 7,148,104 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of starting a garden project that my soon to be 7 year old daughter and I can work on together. I'm thinking about a vegetable or two- the goal, we can learn about growing, "work the land" (so to speak), watch it grow, and then eat the "fruits of our labor" (pun intended). I think she would have a blast watching it grow, and then actually making a meal of it- hopefully it will spark other ideas. Having come from a long line of people who grew all sorts of fruits and vegetables (even on my wife's side), we unfortunately didn't pick up that skill growing up regetably (mostly because I was consumed with my atari 2600 ). Anyway, what do you think is a good vegetable(s) to grow around here this time of year, for some wanna be green thumbs?

Thank You,

Mike
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 PM

73 posts, read 285,347 times
Hello Mike,
I think your daughter will enjoy your idea very much. I wouldn't plant anything until the end of April, just in case it would frost again. You wouldn't want your little girl's first experience in garden planting to fail. Tomato's grow nice here, cucumber, green bean's, onion's, just about anything does good, if you have good soil, that is the most important thing. I planted flower's with my grand daughter when she was that age, and she just loved it, and still now that she is older enjoy's planting and watching thing's grow. Best of Luck with the planting, and enjoy every minute of it. I would also take some photo's so she can look back and see her first gardening experience.
Cathy in Hickory

Old 04-01-2007, 06:03 AM

254 posts, read 1,003,887 times
how fun I have a 5 year old and she loves our garden...especially the blueberry bushes (if you get those make sure to get 2 different varieties so they can cross pollinate) What kinds of vegetables does she like? I think if you plant things she likes to eat it would be more fun for her..my daughter loves green beans so we always plant those (which are easy and fun to pick..usually you can pick every other day) tomatoes and zucchini are goods producers so more fun I think. We have raised beds here..I would hate to plant in the clay.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:28 AM

823 posts, read 3,760,983 times
Definitely plant something that she likes to eat. Cucumbers are easy to grow and most kids like them. When my daughter was 20 months, she'd happily sit in the garden and gnaw away on a cucumber. Marigolds seeds are large and interesting. They produce lots of blossoms. Our favorite thing in the garden is raspberries. The animals don't bother them too much. You can grow them in NC if you choose the right variety.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Great ideas! She really likes carrots (as raw as they get) so possibly carrots will be there. I was definitely thinking of tomatoes too. Personally I like to juice vegetables, but that usually takes a lot of one particularly type daily.

Thanks for the advice on the frost- good point, it does still get into the 50s in the evenings, so we'll do our planning and ground preparation for the next few weeks.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:03 PM

179 posts, read 553,169 times
Default Red Clay

What do most people add to that hard red clay to make things grow well ? And are there local facilities which sell it in bulk ?

Thanks, Bill

Old 04-01-2007, 07:14 PM

73 posts, read 285,347 times
Bill,
You can buy soil conditioner, you need to find a place that sell's product's to lawnscaper's. I also mix in Black Cow, and gardening soil. If you have a gardening area next fall put leaves in the space, and till it in good. If you mix in the three thing's I mentioned above it will break down the clay, and put nutrient's into your soil.
CATHY

Old 04-01-2007, 07:28 PM

179 posts, read 553,169 times
Question Cathy

Ok, that sounds like exactly what we do in Connecticut, although the soil is much darker and richer in alot of areas. Do you live in an area where you have a nice sized property that allows you to have nice gardens, both flower and vegatable ?

Thanks, Bill

Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 PM

I'm reading on some web-sites that the clay has a lot of nutrients in it as well, hence why grass can seemingly grow out of it...

Old 04-02-2007, 10:41 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,064,088 times
Default Strawberries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I'm reading on some web-sites that the clay has a lot of nutrients in it as well, hence why grass can seemingly grow out of it...
Hey, for a quick return, set out a strawberry plant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden